Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Amanresorts Thread 2018

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 1, 18, 5:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: IBobi
Wiki Link
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Dec 25, 18, 5:23 pm
  #571  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/1995549/aman-ceo-olivier-jolivet-discusses-refocusing-brand-and
It's just a small presence for our junkies to share with their friends and their communities, but we are not proactively pushing them to do so because we are in the top end of the market and the commercial aspect is more a problem for us than an opportunity. Our customers don't want to be seen, they just want to have privacy and that's their priority.
blog.ehl.edu/aman-a-reference-of-the-luxury-hospitality-industry
allow our guest to be “forgotten” [vs social media] when on site

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 25, 18 at 5:30 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 6:59 pm
  #572  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,381
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/1995549/aman-ceo-olivier-jolivet-discusses-refocusing-brand-and


blog.ehl.edu/aman-a-reference-of-the-luxury-hospitality-industry
That philosophy seems to have gone out the window these days. If anything, Aman is probably one of the biggest pushers on social media now.
Aventine is offline  
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:28 pm
  #573  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,699
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/1995549/aman-ceo-olivier-jolivet-discusses-refocusing-brand-and


blog.ehl.edu/aman-a-reference-of-the-luxury-hospitality-industry
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
That philosophy seems to have gone out the window these days. If anything, Aman is probably one of the biggest pushers on social media now.
Exactly , big windows at that ..

Very different philosophy now
Olivier J has moved on as with many stalwarts who understand Aman ethos . Few , thankfully , remain
Aventine likes this.
FlyerEC is online now  
Old Dec 26, 18, 5:36 am
  #574  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: R&C 5C, Amex Platinum
Posts: 97
Aman really is everywhere these days. I am very often surprised now at the number of people I encounter who've heard of the brand. The aspirational thrust has certainly worked (as it appears to be what they've been going for since this publication). Really sad for the Amanjunkies of the past.
TheBrownPrince is offline  
Old Dec 26, 18, 11:15 am
  #575  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
That philosophy seems to have gone out the window these days. If anything, Aman is probably one of the biggest pushers on social media now.
Certainly not more prolific than FS though
Cityflyer10 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 18, 1:40 pm
  #576  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
FS >
'asks' guests to post on tripadvisor & instagram
advertises (why?) influencer-only events
advertises influencer program taking applications
( fourseasons.com /popdown/ & /envoy/ )

aman corp has a way to go in those terms

seems to me many did not recognize amanat's behavior, and doronin simply lumped them all with amanat even if they were simply unaware, including zecha who i cant imagine had a clue re amanat

as aman changes, becomes even more important to track staff, owners, variation

giri - interesting comparison >
1550 > 3300 entry room
4350 > 6200 top room
2500x4 (optional 300 board) home

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 18 at 1:44 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 9:08 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US, UA
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
giri - interesting comparison >
1550 > 3300 entry room
2500x4 (optional 300 board) home
Does anyone know what's going on with the homes at Amangiri? Last I heard, they were developing quite a few home sites (30+?) and I find it interesting that the property is renting one out and showing availability on its website. If I recall, at other properties, we've had to ask management about villa/home rental prospects; they weren't bookable online. Is the Mesa Home basically a model home that you can pay $10k+/night to stay in?
dr58 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 9:40 am
  #578  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by dr58 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the homes at Amangiri? Last I heard, they were developing quite a few home sites (30+?) and I find it interesting that the property is renting one out and showing availability on its website. If I recall, at other properties, we've had to ask management about villa/home rental prospects; they weren't bookable online. Is the Mesa Home basically a model home that you can pay $10k+/night to stay in?
My understanding is the Mesa home was/is for sale and is essentially a model for any other homes that would be built. As they havenít managed to sell it, nothing else has been built.

We looked into renting it for a family gathering. Used to be $8800/night and they didnít want to budge on pricing, despite the additional spend we were also bringing and the fact that the home is rarely rented. So yes, a model home they arenít really trying to rent much.

Related, you can book up 50% (!) of rooms without requiring a buy-out.

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Dec 27, 18 at 9:56 am
Cityflyer10 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:09 am
  #579  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by dr58 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the homes at Amangiri? Last I heard, they were developing quite a few home sites (30+?) and I find it interesting that the property is renting one out and showing availability on its website. If I recall, at other properties, we've had to ask management about villa/home rental prospects; they weren't bookable online. Is the Mesa Home basically a model home that you can pay $10k+/night to stay in?
Official announcements of what's in the pipelines aren't out yet but it may be more "Glamping Tents" than "Homes" from what I've heard. To @Cityflyer10 's comment, they haven't sold homes so may have decided to go with a different creative approach, glamping tents might be a lot more appealing/unique to guests or potential buyers. Excited to see what's ahead and should be amazing. At least from a hard product standpoint.
BESVISOR is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:31 am
  #580  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
Originally Posted by dr58 View Post
at other properties, we've had to ask management about villa/home rental prospects; they weren't bookable online.
many (or most, for detached villas) in hotel website reservations >
yangyun, nusa, pulo, puri, noi, zoe, yara, gani, nemu (giri, dari, nera = 1)
fourseasons.com/privateretreats
aubergeresorts.com/vacation-home-rentals
only in US are detached villas mostly not in hotel inventory

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 18 at 11:07 am
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:34 am
  #581  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US, UA
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 View Post

My understanding is the Mesa home was/is for sale and is essentially a model for any other homes that would be built. As they havenít managed to sell it, nothing else has been built.

We looked into renting it for a family gathering. Used to be $8800/night and they didnít want to budge on pricing, despite the additional spend we were also bringing and the fact that the home is rarely rented. So yes, a model home they arenít really trying to rent much.

Related, you can book up 50% (!) of rooms without requiring a buy-out.
I guess I'm just surprised at the rate (which is 2x similar rentals at Amangani) and what little is included. While the hard product looks amazing, it frankly seems like planning everything around the stay will be a lot of work and a lot of money beyond the rate. Not looking for handouts and I definitely understand/appreciate the privacy premium, but when we've done home rentals at places like Blackberry Farm or Singita at similar price points, the resort basically handles everything else (transfers, chef, activities, other cool things you'd never think of before arriving, etc.). Maybe I'm just not a hardcore enough Amanjunkie, but $10k/night to stay in a model home and then pay for drinks on top of it feels a little bit like a plot from the next season of "Arrested Development."

Of course, if anyone has stayed in the Mesa Home and thinks I'm off base, I'd love to hear from you!

Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
Official announcements of what's in the pipelines aren't out yet but it may be more "Glamping Tents" than "Homes" from what I've heard. To @Cityflyer10 's comment, they haven't sold homes so may have decided to go with a different creative approach, glamping tents might be a lot more appealing/unique to guests or potential buyers. Excited to see what's ahead and should be amazing. At least from a hard product standpoint.
Interesting. I received a brochure a few years ago--maybe from Aman, maybe from an affiliated developer, I can't recall--with some information and recall seeing something about 35 or 36 homesites being developed. Maybe they were just testing the waters. The numbers struck me as high relative to the location, even for Aman, so I am not surprised to hear about the pivot.
dr58 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:39 am
  #582  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US, UA
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
many in hotel website reservations >
yangyun, nusa, pulo, puri, noi, zoe, yara, gani, nemu (giri, dari, nera = 1)
fourseasons.com/privateretreats
aubergeresorts.com/vacation-home-rentals
only in US are single family homes mostly not in hotel inventory
in cities also hotel residences (vs condohotel) with long min lease
That's helpful to know. I hadn't noticed that previously with respect to the non-US Amans, but I usually book those trips through through a TA and believe Aman was using its old reservation system last time I searched or booked anything directly. It seems that at some of the properties (like Amangani), residences are also permitted to be listed through rental brokers.
dr58 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:58 am
  #583  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
aman residence rates online >
1998 puri pulo , 1999 dari
2002 "villa life" , 2003 "aman villas"
2005 yara , 2006 gani
seems gani 1st detached villas in inventory in US, ahead of reunion
had forgotten re "amanews"

my point was giri rate is good vs rooms
added to rates in 2013, after charity auction in 2012
giri owner also owns gani, dunton, FS santa fe, le melezin

btw owner's villas include rosewood montecito and qualia
at amanjena not sure if it is an owner's villa or GM's villa

blackberry residences are not staffed. (clearly issue is staff costs, for in the US and some other places.) twin farms and the point are more than blackberry as they include alcohol and have many fewer rooms, so far none of those properties have any rooms with private pools etc

re numbers of originally proposed aman villas - 11 dari , 33 pulo
dari: "80% of site is held under private leases with village landowners"
recently: jena, kila, wana, wella (jena, wella, ruya had original plans)
seems aman owned bora bora land, wonder if residences possible
land (leasehold vs freehold) may be issue for some residences

ex-rafael Mark NY only sold 5 of 38 co-ops, leasehold likely a factor
all unsold ended up in hotel inventory, multiple at extremely high rates

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 18 at 1:39 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:29 pm
  #584  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 5
AMAN spa Times

Do your guys' treatments last the actual prescribed time? Or do you notice they often fall short? For example we'll get to the spa at 6 for an hour appointment, and after a bit of waiting, changing, the treatment itself will end at 7. Is this normal/to be expected?
junkiepusher is offline  
Old Jan 6, 19, 3:32 am
  #585  
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Posts: 3,143
Originally Posted by junkiepusher View Post
Do your guys' treatments last the actual prescribed time? Or do you notice they often fall short? For example we'll get to the spa at 6 for an hour appointment, and after a bit of waiting, changing, the treatment itself will end at 7. Is this normal/to be expected?
I always get to spa 10 or 15 minutes early to make sure the paperwork and changing clothes donít run into my massage time.
Ericka is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread