Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Having never been to the Philippines, I'll take your word for it. I guess I was more commenting what I would do. I've been to Hong Kong dozens of times in my life, so I would opt for Manila as a brand new experience, to join with a new Aman (pulo). Don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is one of my favourite cities in the world, but I will almost always choose something new over something I love but have done lots. That being said, if OP hasn't been to Hong Kong, he should definitely go, as 4-5 days is perfect to explore the city.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
No shot we’re staying in Manila for more than the absolute minimum time required. No thank you.

Right now I’m thinking 4 nights Amanpulo + 4 nights Tokyo. Might require 1 night in MNL after Amanpulo. Normally I like to do city, then beach, but timing doesn’t work well for that in this circumstance. I hope wherever we stay in Tokyo - likely the RC - isn’t too much of a downgrade!

FWIW we have been to HK many times, while I’ve only been to Tokyo once. My wife lived there for a few years so she know the city well, but hasn’t been back since. We want to do Beijing more than anything but flights between Manila and Beijing are limited at best. I also can’t imagine going from the serenity of Amanpulo to the middle of Beijing (Tokyo/HK are a little more do-able in that sense).
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Long ago, I lived in the Manila area for an entire year. It didn't have that much to offer tourists then and it didn't seem to have that much to offer on subsequent returns Maybe Hong Kong, would make a better combination.
I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with the people who claim Manila has nothing to offer. Culturally speaking, the Philippines, (with Manila being its cosmopolitan hub) is unique as it is "a Latin American country that just happens to be in Asia." You will not find this mongrel mix of Spain+US+Malay+Chinese anywhere else. You just need to know where to go and the right guides to show you the places.

Don't look for structures and statues. Come for the stories.

Might I recommend:

Carlos Celdran's Intramuros Tour for a great and entertaining introduction (His Imelda Marcos Performance is equally informative): https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com
Ivan Man Dy's Chinatown + Chinese Cemetery Tour (Crazy Rich Asians at their finest... Chinese money + Filipino ostentation) to see how Chinese culture has been locally appropriated: Old Manila Walks
the slum tour run by a Dutch NGO to see the desperate poverty/reality in Manila. Not for the faint of heart, you'll see how left over KFC from the rubbish pile is recooked and served buffet style. If you've been to the townships of South Africa or the favelas of Brazil, you'll find those tame after this one.: Smokey Tours
Bamboo Bike if you just want a pleasant afternoon riding through a heritage area: https://www.bambike.com/ecotours

This should be enough for a three day itinerary. Manila is singular and extraordinary.

P.S. For those interested in gastronomy, there's a nascent haute cuisine industry that has some real world class gems:
Mecha Uma: https://www.facebook.com/mechaumaph/
Gallery by Chele: https://gallerybychele.com
Toyo Eatery: https://www.facebook.com/toyoeatery/
Fliar, vuittonsofstyle and Musken like this.

Last edited by TheBrownPrince; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
If Seoul works timing / airline wise, I would highly recommend it. We spent 4 nights there a few years ago and had a great time. In my opinion, very underrated as a tourist destination (big city wise) and could be a change of pace from some of the other cities you are already familiar with.
I'd recommend it too but only if staying at FS Seoul. No where else really would be good enough for this forum's level and OP's usual haunts.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

We did Paris and Amanjena in March. It was great. Travel pretty easy as well. Loved the private pool at Amanjena. Nicolas is one of my favorite GMs...

Ive looked at Amanpulo so many times but just the logistics are too overwhelming for me. At least coming from USA getting all the travel to line up just never seems to work in an easy way... or maybe I’ve just gotten lazy.

Fdw
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:12 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
We did Paris and Amanjena in March. It was great. Travel pretty easy as well. Loved the private pool at Amanjena. Nicolas is one of my favorite GMs...

Ive looked at Amanpulo so many times but just the logistics are too overwhelming for me. At least coming from USA getting all the travel to line up just never seems to work in an easy way... or maybe I’ve just gotten lazy.

Fdw
Not that difficult surely? Also depends where from the US you're flying in from, but both NYC and LA have flights that land very early morning in HK (6:00am/7:30am respectively). Short stopover for the 9:00am flight to Manila and you'll be at Amanpulo by 2:00pm.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
maybe I’ve just gotten lazy.
i know i am odd and boring, but logistics keep making me become even more boring. i can understand perspectives of KatW and others. although i seem to have even fewer destinations of interest. Musken made a comment about flights - no matter how good the plane is, it's a long time on a plane and usually in airports and to and from airports. seems most here have gotten into routines that do not necessarily change that much other than some relatively slight changes in property preferences over time.

on the other hand amangiri is pretty much only destination i really look forward to doing at some point, regardless of long drive etc. clearly unique effort by zecha and canyon equity.

probably should have gone right after damaxer91 posted trip report on may 6, oh well.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
While we anticipate the opening in Kyoto next year , at Nemu ;
Fond farewell to Hisayo S , another of our dear Aman veterans . May she enjoy her retirement years across / crossing oceans

Welcome GM Noriko T

viennaresident please note , have a lovely time !!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with the people who claim Manila has nothing to offer. Culturally speaking, the Philippines, (with Manila being its cosmopolitan hub) is unique as it is "a Latin American country that just happens to be in Asia." You will not find this mongrel mix of Spain+US+Malay+Chinese anywhere else. You just need to know where to go and the right guides to show you the places.

Don't look for structures and statues. Come for the stories.

Might I recommend:

Carlos Celdran's Intramuros Tour for a great and entertaining introduction (His Imelda Marcos Performance is equally informative): https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com
Ivan Man Dy's Chinatown + Chinese Cemetery Tour (Crazy Rich Asians at their finest... Chinese money + Filipino ostentation) to see how Chinese culture has been locally appropriated: Old Manila Walks
the slum tour run by a Dutch NGO to see the desperate poverty/reality in Manila. Not for the faint of heart, you'll see how left over KFC from the rubbish pile is recooked and served buffet style. If you've been to the townships of South Africa or the favelas of Brazil, you'll find those tame after this one.: Smokey Tours
Bamboo Bike if you just want a pleasant afternoon riding through a heritage area: https://www.bambike.com/ecotours

This should be enough for a three day itinerary. Manila is singular and extraordinary.

P.S. For those interested in gastronomy, there's a nascent haute cuisine industry that has some real world class gems:
Mecha Uma: https://www.facebook.com/mechaumaph/
Gallery by Chele: https://gallerybychele.com
Toyo Eatery: https://www.facebook.com/toyoeatery/
This is great, thank you. We have a couple days there next March before Pulo and will be sure to do some of these. Quick and hopefully not too stupid question: is the slum tour safe? And any chance you have done or can recommend a Corregidor tour?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by ridefar

This is great, thank you. We have a couple days there next March before Pulo and will be sure to do some of these. Quick and hopefully not too stupid question: is the slum tour safe? And any chance you have done or can recommend a Corregidor tour?

Hi Ridefar,

I never felt any sense of danger when I did the slum tour. Amongst the group were Australians and Europeans. They found it comfortable as well. Just stick with the guide. The locals know your guide (who might actually be a denizen of that area). Regardless, the Dutch NGO that operates the tour has many programs that benefit the locals there. Hence, everyone is on their best behaviour and a code of honour operates. I suggest you email the tour operator to get their side.

Yes, I have been and can recommend the Corregidor tour (especially if you specify Mr. Armando Hildawa as your guide). Neither the ferry trip there nor the vehicle on the island will be private though. The included buffet lunch also will not be a culinary highlight. There's a way to do this tour completely deluxe through the Peninsula. They'll arrange a helicopter and a private picnic (for 75x the price of doing it the way everyone else does). This depends on your budget and priorities. Either way, what you'll get is a good historical account of how the Americans ran their first colony. Much of the history you'll get elsewhere in the country will focus on the Spanish.

Here's a list provided by celebrity tour guide Carlos Celdran detailing other tour options.
https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress...016/05/31/458/
ridefar likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
While we anticipate the opening in Kyoto next year , at Nemu ;
Fond farewell to Hisayo S , another of our dear Aman veterans . May she enjoy her retirement years across / crossing oceans
Hisayo-san is leaving?? That is a real loss to Aman!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Hisayo-san is leaving?? That is a real loss to Aman!
Yes , Hisayo san is retiring .

Quite a year of losses

Still in the midst of sorting our Aman stays , from next week to 1 st quarter 2019 !! Cannot even begin to plan on later quarters ..
Usually all sorted with a couple of emails , however seems will take more than a couple dozen these days ..
The Aman correspondence is getting more laborious as the days go by , what with newer ones & what possibly can be attributed to the new Aman system / way of operating ??

So no Puri this week and unlikely Giri in January .. dare attempt a return to Pulo instead ?
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 6, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:32 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
We should all meet at an (SE Asia) Aman and throw an "end of days" party!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I'm in if it's at Pulo, Wana, or Taka :P
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:37 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I'm in for Pulo! ... But I'd be up for Kila as well
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:58 am

I'm in for Pulo! ... But I'd be up for Kila as well
Another AMANjunkies FTers Do !
Now to figure out the month which may determine the ASEAN Aman to be at with the better / best weather

Possibly third & last Do ?
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:03 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Another AMANjunkies FTers Do !
Now to figure out the month which may determine the ASEAN Aman to be at with the better / best weather

Possibly third & last Do ?

...and let's get enough interests for a "Flyertalk" buyout at the resort : )
FlyerEC and MicSanToro like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.