FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Who is GM? Forgive me, but with Nera I lost track. Did they get service right by now? East coast celebs didn’t help with that. Enjoy!!
Xavier Moulin. And, while I haven’t been in touch with him personally, pre-arrival (via email) he was incredibly responsive.

I’ve got a couple more nights, and will then post some overall thoughts.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb

Xavier Moulin. And, while I haven’t been in touch with him personally, pre-arrival (via email) he was incredibly responsive.

I’ve got a couple more nights, and will then post some overall thoughts.
Heading there next Wednesday. Hope things are going well...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

now might be the time to visit amanera considering following just posted
low season ends jun 30, from $1200, seasonal closure scheduled for aug 15
3 nights gets full board, 5th nt is free, US amex FHR also has 4th nt free

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Service was wonderful. Truly. I was shocked, especially as it is the Caribbean
All-in-all, it was one of our favorite Aman stays. I was pleasantly shocked at how much we loved it

Originally Posted by xracer
Service was as good as any Aman we've been to, and better than most.
All in all, a great stay, and we'd happily go back again.
[service] Better than Amanzoe and equal to Amanoi.
I was honestly surprised at how good the service was, given the location.
[amanzoe service] among the best we have ever experienced
Originally Posted by kurl
Amanera...Service...greatly exceeded our expectations

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 20, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Is there any practical way to do a large amount of laundry (wash and fold) at Amanjiwo or Amankila? This is the longest trip we’ve been on to date and would love to be able to wash clothes halfway through the trip, but I’m certainly not paying $5 USD to wash a pair of underwear.

Does anyone have any experience with sending out a few lbs/kgs of laundry at either resort? This does make me miss the Chedi Club Ubud and Amantaka and their included laundry service.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:20 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

how many pairs of underoos are we talking about? Are you a three a day type of guy?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DSI
how many pairs of underoos are we talking about? Are you a three a day type of guy?
How’d you know?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
for those here in the know, when does Amanzoe generally release reservation availability for the following year? Was trying to see rates for next May, but the whole month of May and June are blocked (I feel like Amans are pretty good about showing availability way out). Or is this because of the rumored sale mentioned earlier in this thread?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I wouldn't recommend Amanyara personally, unless perhaps if you're a big scuba diver--as there is great diving really close. Even with us being major divers, though, the inland pool pavilion arrangement just doesn't appeal to us for the price. We'd be more likely to try COMO Parrot Cay or Grace Bay for the cost/benefit.

For a US property, go to Amangiri. Period, end. It's spectacular. It's almost always at high occupancy but it's still tremendous IMO. We are toying with returning in Jan for my birthday. We first went in April 2015 for our 5th wedding anniversary--and knew we'd return. Loved it.

You also can try Amangani, but I recommend it less for skiing and more to just explore the town and Grand Teton National Park (and Yellowstone before/afterward). We've been twice. It's less pricey than Giri, but also a bit less "Aman-ish" than Giri, too. But we absolutely love Jackson.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Is there any practical way to do a large amount of laundry (wash and fold) at Amanjiwo or Amankila? This is the longest trip we’ve been on to date and would love to be able to wash clothes halfway through the trip, but I’m certainly not paying $5 USD to wash a pair of underwear.

Does anyone have any experience with sending out a few lbs/kgs of laundry at either resort? This does make me miss the Chedi Club Ubud and Amantaka and their included laundry service.

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
for those here in the know, when does Amanzoe generally release reservation availability for the following year? Was trying to see rates for next May, but the whole month of May and June are blocked (I feel like Amans are pretty good about showing availability way out). Or is this because of the rumored sale mentioned earlier in this thread?
Would love to return to Gani , love Jackson Hole & the Parks too . But will have to be separate trip from Giri

Best email GMs for information .
Waiting for Ernst & Ian to reply about laundry as I can ‘ t recall charges .

From The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts Thread
Originally Posted by bhrubin
As with the Aman threads, I find that too many FTers (especially TAs) are overly concerned with internal GM and senior management moves. A great GM is important, but there (more often than not) are plenty of new blood managers who, given the chance, also can do a great job. If the hotel group is as impressive as we like to believe, there should be plenty of good managers to go around.

I think too many (especially TAs) may be more concerned about losing a personal connection (and any concomitant booking advantage) with a specific GM or senior manager than with any actual change in quality of experience for most guests. IMO these discussions have much more to do with regime change more than any change in experience for the overwhelming majority of guests.
My other reply disappeared too so am posting new here .

These new HQ & regional folks have no idea of true Aman ethos / standards . They underestimate the slippery track they have embarked on . Have noticed cost cutting measures & plus good - more like priceless - team members they are letting go , happening at a faster pace it seems like .

New GMs ( or are they even replacing HMs ? who have been key ) often have no inkling what AMANjunkies have appreciated through the years . Coming from FS or whichever “ lesser “ firm , these individuals often do not quite make the cut . But as we know , the Aman now is not the one by AZ , thankfully there are still faithful long serving staff who understand

Newer AMANjunkies do not know what they are missing . Some wonder what we are raving about

All IndoAmans charge for laundry .

scented likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 2, 2018 at 2:38 am Reason: Add information
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:30 am
A4K

Programs: N/A

I have never attempted at Kila, but I am pretty sure you will be able to find a place down in Candidasa that would do laundry for you for fairly cheap. Aman staff will drive you down there at no charge (just say you want to have lunch or dinner and a walk around town). There are a few decent places to eat there, try Vincents which has both Indo and western options. And then my guess is where you drop the laundry with would delivery it back to the hotel for you for no or little charge.

You can probably get all of your things done for one to two hundred thousand rupiah.
callmedtop likes this.

Last edited by A4K; Jun 25, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

hmm, behind beach cabanas at zoe >

at zoe email sven , even though aman changed hands in 2014, 'generally' may not always apply (yet?)

sale is not rumor, dolphin 'plan' to sell entire portfolio by end of 2019 unless they do another vote

The Company adopted the New Asset Strategy in December 2016, which was designed to effect the orderly sale of the Company’s projects on an asset by asset basis, in the light of prevailing market conditions and circumstances, in a controlled and timely manner in order to realise their value by 31 December 2019.
dolphinci.com/wp-content/uploads/DCI_Annual_Report_2017.pdf
original (vs "new") "asset strategy" was to keep zoe and a few others

i highlighted great reports at several aman under current external hire GMs, very good to hear

if aman becomes procedure oriented (i dont think likely) it will not be able to deliver 'peak' service - edit : by this i mean exclusively procedure oriented, rather than having (new) procedures

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

You should have no issues. Just find a near town and someone will do it. You may be able to find someone who will pick it up for you. We were on a 35 day trip and we did our laundry while in Seminyak. Someone picked our laundry up, washed it, folded it, and returned it to our hotel for like 18 US dollars.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm, behind beach cabanas at zoe >

at zoe email sven , even though aman changed hands in 2014, 'generally' may not always apply (yet?)

sale is not rumor, dolphin 'plan' to sell entire portfolio by end of 2019 unless they do another vote

dolphinci.com/wp-content/uploads/DCI_Annual_Report_2017.pdf
original (vs "new") "asset strategy" was to keep zoe and a few others

i highlighted great reports at several aman under current external hire GMs, very good to hear

if aman becomes procedure oriented (i dont think likely) it will not be able to deliver 'peak' service
You must read between the lines then about faithful staff holding up , etcetera . There is hope till they retire & perhaps the “ newbies “ hopefully get it before they do .

It is already happening , not that the GMs or ‘ management ‘ at the properties want or need it . With the many hires at HQ & regional offices calling the shots unlike before .. policies & procedural .. ( not to mention bean counting outlook ) unheard of previously .
With such interference , the smooth running of each Aman is in jeopardy .
Plus catering to the ‘ masses ‘ / social media types

One would have expected better

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 25, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

You must read between the lines then about faithful staff holding up , etcetera . There is hope till they retire & perhaps the “ newbies “ hopefully get it before they do .

It is already happening , not that the GMs or ‘ management ‘ at the properties want or need it . With the many hires at HQ & regional offices calling the shots unlike before .. policies & procedural .. ( not to mention bean counting outlook ) unheard of previously .
With such interference , the smooth running of each Aman is in jeopardy .
Plus catering to the ‘ masses ‘ / social media types

One would have expected better

Seen this happening with my own eyes.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Seen this happening with my own eyes.
They are currently cramming Puri .. More treatment rooms in spa , in same space . Ready by September ?
More pool pavilions , just adding pools to some current .
New kids area still being constructed by Beach Club ; there goes a sanctuary .. Aman indeed
Excellent HM left ( did I put this disappointing information somewhere before ? & no more with Amans .. ) & new - new - arriving next month .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 14, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:41 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

[QUOTE=FlyerEC;29974299]

They are currently cramming Puri .. More treatment rooms in spa , in same space . Ready by September ?
More pool pavilions , just adding pools to some current .
New kids area still being constructed by Beach Club ; there goes a sanctuary .. Aman indeed
Excellent HM left ( did I put this disappointing information somewhere before ? & no more with Amans .. ) & new - new - arriving next

why Don’t you like children? Pls Elaborate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.