Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Soneva Jani (Maldives) UPDATE

Old Dec 21, 17, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Sorry for removing my post.
This thread derailed completely and it was not my intention.
But most of all the hotel delivered the most amazing service recovery for us and it wouldn't be fair to leave the old post when EVERYTHING was addressed. We just got back from our 2nd stay (in just two weeks )) and seriously, the resort responded to every single issue and fixed it. From the amazing airport treatment which is now in place, the lounge which is being renovated and expanding, the private plane which should be in operation starting March to all the little things which have all been discussed and fixed.
I have to say, to us - nobody has ever responded this way before. Thank you Soneva Jani.
deer likes this.

Last edited by Big_Foot; Dec 26, 17 at 1:10 am Reason: amazing service recovery + thread derailed
Old Dec 21, 17, 5:37 am

Programs: aeroplan
That sounds terrible. We are heading to the Maldives for the first time but to a resort that is not quite in the same $$$$ league as Soneva Jani. It is so ridiculously expensive in that neck of the woods (and for that resort) that you are justified in expecting good and consistent service. I hope you detailed this to the GM and CSRs for follow up and not just on TA (although that forum does seem to get eyeballs).
Old Dec 21, 17, 6:00 am

It’s rather unclear to me what exactly warrants the description “terrible.” The design and furnishings, as well as saltwater swimming pools are things that appeal to Soneva’s target market. Also, Soneva is always family friendly.

Room service mishaps and other service lapses are unforgivable at this price point though. There should have been service recovery.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 21, 17 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 21, 17, 6:06 am
Original Poster

deer likes this.

Last edited by Big_Foot; Dec 26, 17 at 1:09 am
Old Dec 21, 17, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree View Post
I hope you detailed this to the GM and CSRs for follow up and not just on TA (although that forum does seem to get eyeballs).
Yes, they sent us a feedback link, but no updates. So I posted it on TA and here, not really hoping for much to be honest.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Dec 21, 17, 6:29 am

Deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 5, 18 at 2:13 am
Old Dec 21, 17, 7:43 am

So, when do you plan on going back?
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 21, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
This sounds horrible ! I wouldn't go to a luxury resort which is geared to families if I was travelling solo or as part of a couple. Just like OP said, he wish he would have known before he plunked down all that money. This isn't discrimination...it's called preference. It used to be that if you paid a certain amount of money, there weren't many children around but that has changed quite dramatically in this new age of parenting and wealth.

Anyhow, sorry that OP learned an expensive lesson. Now if anyone lets me know that O&O Reethi Rah has children everywhere, I will also take that one off my list.
5DMarkIIguy, Travlur and b00mer89 like this.
Old Dec 21, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: A bunch
Thanks for the feedback and details on the resort. If you find time, please post some photos. Your phots are always very enjoyable!

thanks

Nevermind, i found your TA review! Nice pics as usual!!
Old Dec 21, 17, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big_Foot View Post
probably the most beautiful lagoon in the Maldives and it’s the first place in the country we found comparable to the colors of Bora Bora. Absolutely stunning. Not only the colors of the water around you, but also a couple of beautiful beaches where there is nobody except you.

I'm glad we saw the place, the beauty of the lagoon is incredible, but the hotel charging this kind of prices is a sad joke. I have tons of great pictures
maldives rates keep going up

1913 jani
1900 cheval
1950 velaa / 1815 beach
2060 OORR no pool / 1650 beach no pool
1825 FSLG / 1325 bungalow

jani has fewest rooms, plans more cheaper

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 31, 17 at 6:57 pm
Old Dec 21, 17, 12:18 pm

On the topic of family friendly resorts vs. adult oriented, what are the top choices for more adult oriented? Are there any luxury adults only properties? The only adults only property I am aware of is Anantara Veli, which is a four star resort situated alongside connected sister resorts Naladhu and Dhigu.

Taj Exotica is also generally more adult oriented.
Old Dec 21, 17, 12:44 pm

I think a problem is that there is a significant demand for both honeymoon/couples travel and high end family travel in the Maldives. So, resorts cannot afford to alienate families with children. Most of the high end options have invested significantly in kids clubs in order to appeal to families and allow parents to relax while children are kept entertained.
Old Dec 21, 17, 1:10 pm

Must say that I am highly surprised by this review as it 's very far from our experience, in every aspect.

Are you sure you were at Jani? For instance: there are 2 entirely covered dining spaces on the first floor of each villa.

But I might have been intoxicated or similar as I was travelling with 2 children. Only heard my own kids and not those of the neighbouring villa's as they all are quite far apart from each other. But most likely mine were screaming a bit louder

Will get back about this review in detail later.Too much work before I can finally relax next to my Christmas tree.

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 21, 17, 7:00 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
So unfortunate to read what the OP had to go through. I agree recurrent service/butler mishaps are unforgivable at this price point. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to let the GM know of your experience when you saw him on the last day to give them a chance at some sort of service recovery. Perhaps they would have comped/refunded part of your stay ?

Also agree with what was said about doing sufficient research about the resort's view towards kids and families etc. My wife and I stayed at Milaidhoo a small new resort in the Maldives earlier this year and knew beforehand that they catered mostly to couples and did not allow children under 9 etc. Milaidhoo is obviously in a different league and at a different price point than Soneva Jani but I still think sufficient research could have helped here.
Old Dec 21, 17, 8:00 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I would be up and down that waterslide multiple times a day, every day. Service disasters aside, maybe the resort / Soneva just wasn't for you from the outset.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: