Search

Langkawi choices

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
The Datai will reopen this September after a complete renovation. Love the look of the Beach Villa!
Langkawi has been on our list for a long time and now I'm seriously considering this for November this year - it's a bit soon after the reopening though. Would you risk it?
Agreed, that Beach Villa looks fab...but I’d never risk it so soon after reopening. There may be delays in reopening, and there likely will be reopening issues, regardless. I’d give it at least 6 mos after actually reopening and get a sense of fresh reviews before going.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:43 pm

FYI the beach villa’s already were renovated (or even newly built) before the current “complete” renovation which relates to the main building and main facilities. I stayed at this beach villa in November 2016. So nothing new regarding these accommodations which are indeed great.

I will ask if the current building project is on schedule. IIRC reopening is due somewhere in October 2018. No need to wait because this has been an operating hotel for many years. I wouldn’t expect start up issues. Only concern could be that the renovation would not be finished in time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:43 pm

The Datai will re-open on September 10. Construction is on schedule. This is what their EU sales manager confirmed today. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:09 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Epicura
The Datai will re-open on September 10. Construction is on schedule. This is what their EU sales manager confirmed today. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks for confirming! Being in the hotel business, our window for going on a longer vacation is limited - pretty much just November. Did you like your stay in 2016? Is the service level comparable to Aman?

We would do 10 days Japan and 10 days Malaysia (KL and Langkawi).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:15 am

We had a fab stay in late October/early November 2016, apart from the weather. The weather during that week was horrible. The wet season is supposed to end at that time but IIRC started very late that year, hence the reason perhaps why dry season came in later. The villa's and their service level are Aman-like. For the regular rooms in the main building I am more hesitant to state that these would be on par with Aman. I think I would rather compare those to some nice resorts with very good service (like the Nam Hai).

But if you're in a villa, you are in for a treat! Dedicated butler (we had Jennifer and she was great) etc.
livefromtuscany and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:04 am
SSO

Originally Posted by QPRfan
I was at the Datai in May and thought it was excellent. I haven't stayed elsewhere on Langkawi so can't make a comparison, but I would rate this very highly.
I rated their Indian (?) restaurant highly but would only describe their breakfast as so-so. Not sure what disappointed me about the breakfast, we had came from Rayavadee which has possibly the best breakfast I have ever experienced and so possibly the comparison between the two was fresh in my mind?
Have also stayed at the Datai multiple times and would recommend. Agree on breakfast being average but rest of the meals we had in the different restaurants have been excellent.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:43 am

I have booked the Ritz for a week in December, it'll be my first time to Langkawi / Malaysia. The villas look great and I'll come back with a brief trip report.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

I’m hesitant: The Andaman or the Ritz-Carlton for an upcoming trip in August.

I have a reservation for a Luxury Access Pool at The Andaman or for a base room at the RC on points.

I hear that the Andaman’s beach is really beautiful and I am wondering if it overcomes the better hard product at the RC.

Any insightful opinions?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
I’m hesitant: The Andaman or the Ritz-Carlton for an upcoming trip in August.

I have a reservation for a Luxury Access Pool at The Andaman or for a base room at the RC on points.

I hear that the Andaman’s beach is really beautiful and I am wondering if it overcomes the better hard product at the RC.

Any insightful opinions?
My impression has been that the Datai, RC, and FS are better regarded here by luxury and service standards than the StR or Andaman.

The price points generally reflect that impression, too, whenever I've looked.

So it may depend on what you're looking for and how you prioritize those elements. I have heard great things about the Andaman beach, too (which isn't far from the Datai, if I recall correctly).

Originally Posted by creflo
Just came back from 6 days at the Andaman. Very nice stay, but I would not say it is a real luxury hotel in the FS, RC, StR category. (Standard) Rooms are a bit dated and smallish. Had to ask a few times to get stuff fixed. Service in restaurant is excellent, motivated staff and food is good (important as there are no alternatives nearby at the moment).
Reception staff is hit and miss. The guy checking us in was absolutely clueless about everything. Someone had also messed up our reservation, had booked a rate with breakfast. The breakfast got “lost” after the SPG BRG process, this took 10 minutes to sort out.

Good hotel for families, fantastic pool area, good beach. There was one big jellyfish one morning though, so not even the north is “safe”. Monkeys in the property which is a big hit. Kids club was a bit of a let down as the staff was a bit unmotivated.

All in all not comparable to the real luuxury options, but at a third of the price a real bargain and good value for money.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:28 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I have heard great things about the Andaman beach, too (which isn't far from the Datai, if I recall correctly).
Yep, right around the corner/next to it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:42 am

We are planning a stay in Langkawi in November and I am currently trying to choose between the FS, Ritz Carlton and the newly rennovated Datai. We will be travelling with our son who will be nearly 2 so toddler friendly pools and a nice beach are priorities. For the adults, good food onsite is essential and we would prefer somewhere with some complimentary activities (watersports, tennis etc). If there were monkeys etc in the jungle around the hotel, I am sure our son would love it. Can anyone recommend which hote might best suit us?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:17 pm

Currently at the FS with a 1 year old and 3 year old and have to say we think it is fantastic. May be a little light on activities for children that young but family pool is great as is the service and the food, which is lovely although expensive and can take some time to arrive. Definitely one of the better places we have ever stayed at and having a fantastic time. Highly recommended
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:59 pm

I’m going to dump this in here now, so I don’t forget. Had stayed in a beach villa a few times at FS, and decided to mix it up a bit and try the sunset villa at St Regis and beach villa at Datai this trip. FS had been getting a little complacent for me - the villas were showing their age a bit and were feeling pretty musty and definitely a bit stinky. The periodic renovations generally were just “more blue paint.” Great hotel, but no pleasant surprises.

St Regis sunset villa is amazing, and really an entire step up from FS. Breakfast is an order of magnitude better, and I like being near Kuah and the Eagle and the jetty and all that cheesy stuff. The ocean/beach situation is goofy, but there’s also no trash, which I encountered from time to time at FS. Food was great.

Datai is just next level, though. Beach villa is wonderful and massive, the service is fantastic and the beach is the nicest I’ve ever seen (no jellyfish, or plastic bag fish - actual *fish* fish swimming up to the shore). I’m not sure I could stay here too long, because the service is a little *too* omnipresent, but that’s just a personal thing.

so many good choices on this amazing island, and I haven’t been to RC, but for my money, it goes Datai, StR and then FS.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: CX DM
Thank you for this - very helpful re the Datai.

We stayed at the FS a few weeks ago (the Datai was still closed when we booked so we didn't want to risk it). The FS is extremely tired; very much in need of renovation. And the food was frankly mediocre across the board. (also I had no idea about the jellyfish issue until we arrived! rather inconvenient).

Will head for the Datai next time.
JeremyZ likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS has newly created 3BR (from 2BR suite)
wonder if it can upgrade to top beach villa

and what are top upgrades at others
st regis reservations show 3BR , 4BR
RC 2BR says its pool is 92m2

thedatai.com/accommodation/the-rainforest-collection/the-datai-estate
good to hear re beach villas, they look good, dont recall original look

villahutandatai.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.