Reload this Page >

Hotels in Norway (Oslo & Tromso)?

Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Is the Continental still the best in Oslo? Haven't been since 2005. Looks like Clarion The Edge is as good as it gets in Tromso, but wanted to double check with FT. Thanks!

PS

Any suggestions of northern lights excursions in Tromso? Thanks!

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Dec 4, 2017 at 5:44 pm
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Is the Continental still the best in Oslo? Haven't been since 2005. Looks like Clarion The Edge is as good as it gets in Tromso, but wanted to double check with FT. Thanks!

PS

Any suggestions of northern lights excursions in Tromso? Thanks!
In Oslo, We stayed at both the Continental and the Thief several summers ago. The Continental was undergoing a major renovation. We had a great renovated suite with a large balcony. We loved it but some of the rooms looked quite small. The location is central and walking distance from many sites. I would stay again but really work with them on the room or suite.

we also really liked the Thief. More modern and a younger vibe in another area - not as central to siteseeing and downtown but we liked it nonetheless. Our room was smaller but more modern. ( both hotels had modern bathrooms - at least the rooms we had). Service not nearly as polished as the Continental but we really enjoyed the contrast. It has a fun rooftop bar and restaurant. Fun to visit the rooftop but you don't want the floor right below as noisy. Get two floors below!

i think depending on what you want to do both are nice. Having stayed at both I would likely return to the Continental but would be very picky about my room or suite!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I live in Oslo meaning I have not stayed at the hotels, but I would much prefer the Thief to Continental, especially in summer since The Thief has a nice roof terrasse and is close to the sea with lots of restaurants and bars nearby. You will probably want to be in this areas a lot anyway. I also prefer the modern design and there is a nice spa as well. It is true as Larkin says that the Continental is more central, but Oslo is s small city and we are talking about 12 minutes walking distance in betweeen the two hotels through a nice, central area.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:18 am

In August, we stayed in The Thief, whilst our friends stay in The Continental.

We were in their Brit Suite, which was a unique way of having a suite - it opens up into another connecting room, which is a living room and a bathroom. It was so separate that we never used it, as it really felt like another room....which is what it was. I suspect all that the suite does is give you a standard room, just with an extra room attached, so the bedroom still felt cramped.

They were certainly not generous with any amenities, with water even a rare commodity and not provided unless asked for, and even having toothpaste in the minibar, as some sly trick into making you not bother to ask housekeeping for it for free, even when you already had. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, and the rooftop restaurant, so food was a positive, but excluding one member of staff from guest relations, service here was not up to any decent standard.

I forgot to take many pictures, but here are some, mostly of the spa, which was probably the most disappointing part. As another first, the hotel often does not include access to the spa in the room rate, so you would pay extra to go in and find nothing worth paying for.

/
I also had a very unfortunate incident when we left to the airport, where the taxi company they called tried to rip us off and not charge a fixed rate, even though the concierge said this is what was booked. He was trying to charge us almost double what the rate even said on the side of his car. The driver ended up getting very aggressive about this, so I took it up with the hotel and they just couldn't be bothered to help. It's the only time I've ever had an issue with a taxi driver, having been to over 50 countries. It was enough to make me not return.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks! Anyone have experience with Tromso?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Thanks! Anyone have experience with Tromso?
I previously debated between Clarion The Edge and Clarion Hotel With. We ended up going with the latter as it included meals (which were uninspiring, but were fine for a day or two given the high price of restaurants in Tromso). Hotel With was not luxury at all, but it was clean, decently located, had nice staff, and a good view. We didn't spend all that much time in the hotel anyway, as we were out driving about looking at the lovely scenery during the day and then were out at night when weather permitted viewing the Northern Lights.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Anyone have experience with Tromso?
We stayed at the Radisson Blu. It was well located and adequate but certainly not luxurious. We upgraded to a large room with a great view of the water.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
In August, we stayed in The Thief, whilst our friends stay in The Continental.

We were in their Brit Suite, which was a unique way of having a suite - it opens up into another connecting room, which is a living room and a bathroom. It was so separate that we never used it, as it really felt like another room....which is what it was. I suspect all that the suite does is give you a standard room, just with an extra room attached, so the bedroom still felt cramped.

They were certainly not generous with any amenities, with water even a rare commodity and not provided unless asked for, and even having toothpaste in the minibar, as some sly trick into making you not bother to ask housekeeping for it for free, even when you already had. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, and the rooftop restaurant, so food was a positive, but excluding one member of staff from guest relations, service here was not up to any decent standard.

I forgot to take many pictures, but here are some, mostly of the spa, which was probably the most disappointing part. As another first, the hotel often does not include access to the spa in the room rate, so you would pay extra to go in and find nothing worth paying for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...7690553171955/

I also had a very unfortunate incident when we left to the airport, where the taxi company they called tried to rip us off and not charge a fixed rate, even though the concierge said this is what was booked. He was trying to charge us almost double what the rate even said on the side of his car. The driver ended up getting very aggressive about this, so I took it up with the hotel and they just couldn't be bothered to help. It's the only time I've ever had an issue with a taxi driver, having been to over 50 countries. It was enough to make me not return.
Not good at all. So sorry about your experience and thanks for sharing.

Just one little note for explaining the water issue: In Norway we normally drink the tab water which is as clean and fresh and good as any bottle water which can be the reason why they did not provide bottles. I do, however, think they should make sure to explain this to guests from abroad and provide glasses etc.
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I previously debated between Clarion The Edge and Clarion Hotel With. We ended up going with the latter as it included meals (which were uninspiring, but were fine for a day or two given the high price of restaurants in Tromso). Hotel With was not luxury at all, but it was clean, decently located, had nice staff, and a good view. We didn't spend all that much time in the hotel anyway, as we were out driving about looking at the lovely scenery during the day and then were out at night when weather permitted viewing the Northern Lights.
I am leaning towards The Edge. I would love suggestions on how to best see the northern lights (will be There Jan 5-8), including any good companies you used, and other suggestions on what to see/side trips. Should be an interesting experience living in 24 hour darkness. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I am leaning towards The Edge. I would love suggestions on how to best see the northern lights (will be There Jan 5-8), including any good companies you used, and other suggestions on what to see/side trips. Should be an interesting experience living in 24 hour darkness. Thanks!
The first night we were there we went on a photo tour with Creative Vacations. The operators were nice and the photo tips were very helpful to us, but it was long and somewhat rustic. We were there in early March, so light was more of a factor than it will be for you (consequently, they may start and end the tours earlier). We rented a car for the other 4 days we were in the area and drove around and did N.L. sightings on our own. We'd always ask locals for good places to view the lights and everyone was quite helpful. Stayed in a place in Lyngseidet, which was a drive of a few hours from Tromso and involved taking a few ferries. Lyngen Lodge also gets decent reviews. We drove along the E6 and along smaller roads, and were happy to get lost and enjoy the lovely scenery. We had a lot more light than you will have, so YMMV.
instyleprincess likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We have not returned to Norway for many years but were in Finland in exactly the same period in 2013 . How time flies !
Stayed at Nellim Wilderness Hotel , not luxury but adequate with a range of accommodation to select from , if you decide on crossing to Finland / Suomi too .
Saw the aurora borealis all 4 nights , even from our lodge !!
We used https://www.theaurorazone.com/destin...days-to-norway

https://www.theaurorazone.com/holida...im-tailor-made

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 7, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reason: Typos , add information
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So, I checked with the Continental, and they will be closed from late Dec. until early Feb for renovations. My Oslo dates are 1/8-1/11. Besides The Theif, are there any other reasonable options? The Continental suggested The Grand (have read bad things) and The Bristol (know nothing about it). Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

So, I checked with the Continental, and they will be closed from late Dec. until early Feb for renovations. My Oslo dates are 1/8-1/11. Besides The Theif, are there any other reasonable options? The Continental suggested The Grand (have read bad things) and The Bristol (know nothing about it). Thanks.
Both are centrally located and have good main areas, a bit grand dame/old school. Have stayed at Grand, but so many years ago that I cannot comment on rooms. Oslos best hot chocolate at Bristol, a good restaurant and wine bar plus roof bar at Grand. Grand has five stars, Bristol 4 if that means something at all. Between those two, I would take the cheapest, but my vote still goes for The Thief if you want what is closest to luxury. Alternatively, since your other options are not really luxury, go for Saga hotel (not central, but the one in Eilert Sundts gate which is where we stayed before moving to Oslo and where friends often stay.) Relatively small in a quiet, recidential area, very good breakfast, friendly service and cheaper than the other alternatives you have. Absolutely not luxury, but nice. I would rather spend my money on good restaurants in Oslo instead of on hotels if I could not get real luxury anyway. https://sagahoteloslo.com/saga-hotel/
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Musken; Dec 8, 2017 at 7:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.