Four Seasons Jet Journey...Any Takers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Jet Journey...Any Takers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:48 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LinLant
The lavatories look very big and there appears to be lots of legroom. However, there doesn’t appear to be much privacy at all. I would hope that many of the flights are overnight. If you wanted to stretch out and take a nap it doesn’t appear that restful. I am not sure i would want to hang out in the bar much while flying, but to each their own.
The new planes do seem to be nicer than the older ones. The price is still too steep for me!
I believe the flights are daytime.
LinLant likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
It must offer something else... even with standard international business class seats I would guess you could fit a lot more than 48 on a 321. OTHO, it doesn't offer much privacy at all -- most modern international business class seats on a decent carrier are a lot better than this in every way (if your objective is privacy and sleep).

I would also say this is a significant upgrade from the 757. Which is a miserable plane to be a passenger in (mostly it is noisy and dated).
I thought the same thing at first ... and if I was paying that much money I would want to see something more like the equivalent of high quality international business class (ie 1-2-1 layout). But the 321 wouldn't be anywhere near wide enough for that.

But when I think that probably most(?) of the people are travelling as couples, I can see how they make it work. Especially if the flights are mostly daytime.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Hear, hear. To me it just looks like current international business class with a bar added.
Indeed, and not one of the top-Level Js. To be honest for a longer flight I would absolutely prefer a proper F or even one of the top J-carriers.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:11 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Not that I've been on this but from FS's perspective, the reason they do a 2x2 is because they expect and track that most guests are couples and 1x2x1 isn't a better arrangement. Of course being on the old/current 757, 1x2x1 was never a possible configuration anyway. The 757 was also supposed to be a sweet spot where the plane is large enough to cover distance and get economy of scale by allowing enough seats and yet still able to touch down in some of the smaller airports, which gives you the convenience of actual smaller private jets. Again, "supposedly".

I agree that there are better J products on commercial airlines! The good news is that the way FS put together the itinerary in aiming to do mostly short hops (2 - 4 hours) and maybe just one or two 8 hour flights over the 3 weeks. Can vary based on the itinerary. Also agree that calling this a "private jet" is a stretch but again, if you know the cost of flying true private, $300k for a couple won't even cover half of the itinerary, and that's just airtime, excluding hotels, meals and activities.

For the right demographic, this would be a great value. Others, not so much. It's really like "luxury air river cruise"
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
In 2 hours, you could easily put together a trip with better airplane seats and better hotels at a quarter of the price. FS private jet is definitely for the neophyte traveler who doesn't know what they are doing.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by 5khours
In 2 hours, you could easily put together a trip with better airplane seats and better hotels at a quarter of the price. FS private jet is definitely for the neophyte traveler who doesn't know what they are doing.
Also my opinion - but also we are surely not the peer group for this offer
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I think you’re forgetting the “money can’t buy” experiences.

In Egypt, you can have a private dinner in the Egyptian Museum with the Head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities etc.

The experiences are definitely once in a lifetime.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Hhhhmmm. I am unconvinced for my part but, then, this is not meant to appeal to all. My concerns include:

-- Just don't like flying that much. Even the super luxe class of Premiere on Air France is barely bearable. May have to do with age, I am on the cusp of 70 and have been flying since birth. It is more of a hassle than not. That many flights in a three-to-four week period, however cocooned and pampered, does not appeal.

-- Mostly an introvert. Rubbing along with so many others of whatever class is not my cuppa tea.

-- Uninterested in crossing off exotic locales; have no bucket list.

-- For that kind of money, I could craft a truly personal and exquisite holiday and only have to endure two flights while staying in far better hotels.

MikeFromTokyo and janehoya like this.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed

In Egypt, you can have a private dinner in the Egyptian Museum with the Head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities etc.

The experiences are definitely once in a lifetime.
I would be amazed if you can't buy those as well. For example, the Egyptian archeologist that most of us have heard of, Dr. Zahi Hawass (thanks, Discovery Channel!), does lots of events where you can see or meet him. Just google him and see.

I looked at the 2019 tour events and there isn't a single one that is particularly "once in a lifetime." One of the events is in Seattle where you have dinner in the Chihuly art glass museum (artist not present). I'd pay NOT to see more works by Chihuly! The closest their events come to being unusual s having a sword fight choreographer from "Kill Bill" give a group sword lesson when in Kyoto. Yeah, sure, once in a lifetime.
KatW, MikeFromTokyo and 5khours like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:43 pm

Of course everything they offer - and indeed far better things - can be bought. It is the air travel equivalent of a cruise, and it will appeal most to affluent people who have not traveled much. The appeal is to tick off “bucket list” items without the need to pre plan.

The real appeal of the FS 757 or A320 would be the charter possibilities during times it is not in use for these trips. It would be ideal for events like destination weddings or for charter by groups of that size.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The closest their events come to being unusual s having a sword fight choreographer from "Kill Bill" give a group sword lesson when in Kyoto. Yeah, sure, once in a lifetime.
One could just talk to the concierge at Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho who got @bhrubin a private samurai lesson with the Kill Bill choreographer!
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by m0hamed

I guarantee you money can buy these experiences.... and not very much money at that.
RichardInSF and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:54 am

What strikes me as bizarre about these journeys is, for example, why anyone would want to spend 3 nights in Seattle, then 3 nights in Kyoto then 3 nights in Bali. Imagine the jet-lag!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
What strikes me as bizarre about these journeys is, for example, why anyone would want to spend 3 nights in Seattle, then 3 nights in Kyoto then 3 nights in Bali. Imagine the jet-lag!
I seldom go anywhere at all for less than a week, even if not far away. Three days here and three days there, on a fixed schedule, sounds awful.
KatW, offerendum and janehoya like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
3 weeks each would be something. This is just a fancy cram package tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.