Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Jet Journey...Any Takers?

Four Seasons Jet Journey...Any Takers?

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

few trips, so easy to sell. FS more known, fewer pax for aman and the other mentioned.

TCS is operator and has been doing trips for decades.

Originally Posted by sydakllon
You can 'buy' these in Bali. Most hotels should be able to organise to/from the airport. I've done it before when I needed to get to the W quickly from the airport.
m0hamed, you may not be aware of perceptions of much of american market. as noted, traffic. there is frequent discussion of bali traffic here. worst in world for resort area?

this is not a package tour, but even those could easily pay for such things.

if they anyone to book x, what will they allow/give for tours and then FS jet trip.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
All 4 FS trips are sold out for 2019. TCS organizes all tours, ground operations, transit through airports, etc. TAG Aviation provides the plane and crew. Logistics were immaculately planned and executed with no detail overlooked. The jet crew were amazing. Because everything was run so efficiently it really did not matter if there were 52 or 16 onboard. The group was large enough that we were bound to find some people we liked. All ground transportation was mostly by car or small van so again, it didn’t matter how large the group was. Quite often we travelled in a car or van with just one other couple or we travelled alone. A few times more than 4. FS hotels were mostly lovely and the staff were always so eager to please. FS really has an impressive training program that ensures consistency.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sydakllon
You can 'buy' these in Bali. Most hotels should be able to organise to/from the airport. I've done it before when I needed to get to the W quickly from the airport.
Do you remember the "price"?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Bali was everyone’s least favorite stop on the trip.
I can readily understand that. How was the Galapagos section? I'm on that ship next February.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:08 am

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip. I had been curious about being stuck with diffficult people, and the small groups seem to eliminate that problem. Was there any tipping involved? Did you use any travel insurance?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I can readily understand that. How was the Galapagos section? I'm on that ship next February.
We were on the Silver Galapagos for 3 nights and we sailed to several islands. We saw and swam with sea lions, we hiked and saw lots of birds, land and marine iguanas and we visited the tortoise sanctuary. No one felt like we needed more time. The ship was quite elegant and service was phenomenal. Food was very, very good but the Four,Seasons chef was involved so I’m not sure if the food was better than usual. I will say that the ship rocked heavily in very minimal seas and many people had to resort to various remedies. Even though not evident on the interior, the ship is fairly old. Perhaps newer ships are more stable in the water.
Originally Posted by LinLant
Sounds like it was a wonderful trip. I had been curious about being stuck with diffficult people, and the small groups seem to eliminate that problem. Was there any tipping involved? Did you use any travel insurance?
Being with difficult people was not an issue at all. The total group was large enough that we could discreetly avoid certain people when there was a large group dinner or party. When we toured in smaller groups, like-minded travelers tended to gravitate towards each other. Honestly, if the total group size were only 16 I could see the possibilty of awkward moments if there were more than a few people with whom you had little chemistry.

By the way, there was one group dinner or party with entertainment at each destination. Those events were super fun and very well-planned with beautiful decor, food, etc. The rest of the time we had a choice of on and off property restaurants or room service. You could have room service for any meal if desired and with some early morning departures it came in very handy.

Trip insurance was optional and very expensive. Because of the steep price of the trip we had to buy 2 policies per traveler to cover the entire cost. Emergency evacuation coverage was included in the trip.
Forgot to add that all tipping was taken care of by TCS or FS including for guides, drivers, bellmen, housekeeping and waiters (including off-site restaurants). Guides, trackers and porters on the gorilla trek were also taken care of by TCS. Other than personal shopping, laundry and non-included spa treatments there was no additional cash outlay. We had substantial resort credits in Seychelles and Bali to spend as desired.
Pausanias likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 27, 2019 at 2:01 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback on your experience, sounds like a wonderful time. Was the length of the trip favorable from your perspective? (And for context what is your typical/ideal length)?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG
I have been following these various Around-the-World trips with great interest! I did a self-planned ATW trip back in September and loved it, so I know I would enjoy doing one of these trips as well.

With that being said, there appears to be an ATW trip ongoing right now and I'm trying to figure out which company organized it... A HiFly Airlines Airbus A340 started in Paris on November 11th, flew to Rio de Janeiro, then on to Iguazu Falls in Argentina, Easter Island, and is currently in Papeete, Tahiti.

Does anyone on this board happen to know who that HiFly jet is operating on behalf of? I know it's not A&K as they had an ATW trip wrap up just a couple of weeks ago.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:03 pm

We have friends who travel on MIT Alumni trips, in the catalog they have around the world trips that are products of TCS and Starquests Expeditions. I further looked them up and TCS/Starquests also seems to be the provider for the National Georgraphic ATWT. Not sure if they still do the Four Seasons ATWT also, they did in 2014.

TCS/Starquests has a big selection of trips.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
plane not just for FS so re painted for FS trips
airliners.net/search?airline=55171.54501&display=detail
just FS vs TCS plus logo on tail, not big change
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
HiFly Airlines
there are nonlux jet trips that are few thousand a night instead of ten a night
maybe some here would book it just for the transport and ignore the rest
but doubt any good remote etc itins to make up for lack of first class cabin

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 19, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are nonlux jet trips that are few thousand a night instead of ten a night
maybe some here would book it just for the transport and ignore the rest
but doubt any good remote etc itins to make up for lack of first class cabin
Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you! I had assumed that HiFly had reconfigured the A340 to an all Business Class layout for whatever trip it's operating right now, but that may very well not be the case.

And I had a thought last night that whoever HiFly is operating this particular trip for may not be a travel company at all. It could very well be a private client or a large company's perk of some sort.

EDIT: You were 100% correct, Kagehitokiri... This particular trip is not a luxury one. Hi Fly is operating on behalf of TMR, a french travel outfit (which I hadn't previously heard of). Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Jazzed91; Nov 20, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no clue where i saw similar before, quite a while ago

searching from what you posted >
tmrfrance.com/voyage/tour-du-monde/la-croisiere-aerienne-autour-du-monde/24/catalogue
Classe Évasion PLUS / 2 sièges pour 1 (23.900 €),
Classe Affaires (30.900 €) et
Première Classe (40.900 €)
62 / 28 = 2.2 per night
82 / 28 = 2.9 per night

multiple trips, actual details >
safransdumonde.com/en/world-tour

occasionally there may be itin worth using just for transport
edit - although who is air operator.. like cheap charter airlines..
and again even FS trip is great value for single travelers

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 20, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

To Milwaukie, my husband and I frequently take 3 to 4 week trips so this one was right in the zone for us in terms of length. Many people were ready to go home at the end of the trip, though I would have liked a couple more stops.

A little more info that I learned on this trip after talking at length with the TCS personnel. The FS trips organized by TCS are on a 757 with 52 custom lie flat seats that are reserved strictly for FS. When other organizations fly with TCS and TAG the planes have 74 seats that are not lie flat. Stanford, MIT, other college alumni groups, Nat Geo, Smithsonian charter with TCS and TAG however, the Nat Geo contract is not being renewed after 2019 and I know of at least one trip in 2020 that they have booked with Icelandic air. That would give me pause. TCS also sells trips directly to travelers also in a 74 seat format. The ground transportation on the non-FS trips are larger vans and bigger busses, food is not quite as high-end, there are not as many tour options in each destination and the hotels are only occassionally FS calibur or higher. So nice quite as luxury as FS but still with excellent attention to detail.
Milwaukee likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:59 pm

Those are excellent points ERTraveler. It seeems the FS trips are indeed more luxurious!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LinLant
Those are excellent points ERTraveler. It seeems the FS trips are indeed more luxurious!
Well, the pricing certainly reflects that and it is debatable as to whether it is worth the splurge. We were certainly pampered, attended some fabulous parties and came home with 2 duffle bags full of gifts received along the way all to top off a stellar experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.