FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Rosewood Hotels and Resorts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1874206-rosewood-hotels-resorts.html)

bearbrick Oct 26, 2017 11:57 am

Rosewood Hotels and Resorts

Guess it's time Rosewood had its own thread .
They continue to surprise with gems like this .

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/grosvenor-square

This should become their London flagship

Also am certainly looking forward to their new openings although was a little disappointed by Crillon - I guess it's still early days .

callmedtop Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 28980341)

Also am certainly looking forward to their new openings although was a little disappointed by Crillon - I guess it's still early days .

Great thread idea. I’m curious to hear about what disappointed you about Crillon as at least the pictures look quite impressive. Service issues?

bearbrick Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 28980400)
Great thread idea. I’m curious to hear about what disappointed you about Crillon as at least the pictures look quite impressive. Service issues?

A mixture of hardware and software - some fixable some not. Service was generally good but needs to warm up.
Breakfast was underwhelming . Bed and it's wares was exceptional though .
Will return but not in a hurry .

Five Star Traveller Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 28980602)
A mixture of hardware and software - some fixable some not. Service was generally good but needs to warm up.

Could you elaborate on the hardware issues?

scented Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 28980602)

I agree and love the new Crillon beds... excellent duvets by Drouault as well. I would give the service another 6 months.

They aim to delight but early days. Hardware is generally gorgeous, especially specialty suites.

Aventine Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Openings are always tempting to go to but generally always disappointing. I've learned my lesson from a lot of places. Hopefully, their service recovery will win the day?

KatW Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm

I am an over-the-top fan of Rosewood's Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo. In fact, we return this Sunday for another week-long stay in a signature villa.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/la...anas-los-cabos

bearbrick Oct 27, 2017 4:47 am

Re hardware issues , it's to do with noise and surprisingly "wind tunnels "- somewhere within the room possibly vents and electrical purring but not the fridge . That was my room which was overall wonderful ( views , balcony , roof tops , Eiffel etc ) and I didn't bother to move as a result .

A friend staying in another room wasn't so lucky with noise but alternatives offered disappointing .

For sure the service needs some warming up but then they do have solid staff there so that's a good start . But the management would need to review some policies and also to greatly improve the breakfast menu .
Didn't try Ecrin, not really keen either .
Overall , it's a fine and solid redone hotel in an excellent location ( for that area )

Re Lutetia ... still a long way to go from outside - hoarding and building noise is still apparent .

Londonjetsetter Oct 27, 2017 5:17 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 28982315)
I am an over-the-top fan of Rosewood's Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo. In fact, we return this Sunday for another week-long stay in a signature villa.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/la...anas-los-cabos

Have a great time KatW. Loved your last trip report!

Valveking Oct 27, 2017 7:42 am

I have had some good stays at their hotels, but I am boycotting them because they screwed me with the Rosewood Baha Mar opening and I had to eat some plane tickets and they offered me exactly $0 compensation.

Aventine Oct 27, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 28983603)
I have had some good stays at their hotels, but I am boycotting them because they screwed me with the Rosewood Baha Mar opening and I had to eat some plane tickets and they offered me exactly $0 compensation.

That's horrible. Nothing if escalated to corporate?

Valveking Oct 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 28983926)
That's horrible. Nothing if escalated to corporate?

We rescheduled the trip once because it didn't open and then the second time it didn't open they offered to let us book at Las Ventanas for rack rate with no help on the plane tickets. It was pathetic. My TA was not very helpful and I didn't escalate but I should have. I ended up paying the cancellation fee with Delta and just bagging it.

Aventine Oct 28, 2017 6:48 am

deleted.

david55 Oct 29, 2017 6:12 am

We have a house around the corner from the Rosewood San Miguel de Allende. The hotel is a lovely place....huge in comparison to other hotels in town.....but so well done and in the style of the colonial town. While some may say it is over scaled for SMA....we have always been pleased with their presence here and feel it is a great addition. It is one of our favorite places for Sunday brunch and we are heading over there this morning as we have guests in town.

scented Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Anyone stayed at Rosewood Phuket already? Would be interested to stay there in 2018.

MacMyDay Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28999967)
Anyone stayed at Rosewood Phuket already? Would be interested to stay there in 2018.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28978594-post38.html

Seems it's been delayed in opening

bearbrick Nov 1, 2017 10:24 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28999967)

Am looking forward to Rosewood Phuket too , suspect a very soft opening mid/late December .
So will most likely go beginning of 2nd quarter next year no matter the weather .

callmedtop Nov 1, 2017 10:48 am

I hope that timeline is indeed the case as I would love to stop by for dinner while I’m in the area in mid/late December.

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 29004274)
Am looking forward to Rosewood Phuket too , suspect a very soft opening mid/late December .
So will most likely go beginning of 2nd quarter next year no matter the weather .

bearbrick Nov 1, 2017 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 29004380)
I hope that timeline is indeed the case as I would love to stop by for dinner while I’m in the area in mid/late December.

No sooner had I posted the above , received an email from Rosewood Phuket - they open this 20th November with a charms of the Andaman offer with breakfast , wellness treatments , dinner transfers etc lots of goodies indeed but there is a 4 day minimum stay to qualify . Unheard of !

If you do stop by for dinner and a visit or even stay , do let us know your impressions !

stimpy Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 28980341)

I've been a Rosewood fan since staying at the old Rosewood Al Khozama about 20 years ago. But I would question the assumption that the Grosvenor property will become the London Flagship. Yes it is better located for tourists, but the current Rosewood London is a very special hotel and better located for many many businesspeople and lawyers. The level of quality in the top suites/houses is stunning. But I hope to try out the Grosvenor property when it opens.

KatW Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I'll be interested to know what they do with that brutalist behemonth of concrete that squats so unattractively on the square.

vuittonsofstyle Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 29004274)

Me, too. I think it will need time to settle down.

Five Star Traveller Nov 15, 2017 11:10 am

Rosewood Luang Prabang seems very intriguing to me, given Bill Bensley's work on the similar FS Golden Triangle. Only 22 villas/tents, which is comparable to Amantaka. I wonder if it's still on track to open first quarter 2018.

stimpy Nov 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller (Post 29063894)
Rosewood Luang Prabang seems very intriguing to me, given Bill Bensley's work on the similar FS Golden Triangle. Only 22 villas/tents, which is comparable to Amantaka. I wonder if it's still on track to open first quarter 2018.

Interesting to me too. This is one rare instance where I'd like to try out a new property very early rather than later.

bearbrick Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29059986)
I've been a Rosewood fan since staying at the old Rosewood Al Khozama about 20 years ago. But I would question the assumption that the Grosvenor property will become the London Flagship. Yes it is better located for tourists, but the current Rosewood London is a very special hotel and better located for many many businesspeople and lawyers. The level of quality in the top suites/houses is stunning. But I hope to try out the Grosvenor property when it opens.

For sure the Holborn location is an excellent location and popular with the medical fraternity too and I like the lambs conduit street environs with the quirky Persephone bookshop , a favourite .The hotel itself is wonderful but for me at least is too rambling and impersonal - the connected ballroom / conference area doesn't help either. Would place it at a high grade Grand Hyatt level property. The property being owned by the owners of Rosewood may make the debate for a " flagship" for two hotels in the same city very interesting indeed.
Objectively though I would think the environs of Mayfair and the smaller number of rooms ( - hope they will " isolate " the rooms from the ballrooms / conferencing areas well .) will place it a notch above Holborn - a Park Hyatt level grade as it were .

stimpy Nov 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 29064783)
For sure the Holborn location is an excellent location and popular with the medical fraternity too and I like the lambs conduit street environs with the quirky Persephone bookshop , a favourite .The hotel itself is wonderful but for me at least is too rambling and impersonal - the connected ballroom / conference area doesn't help either. Would place it at a high grade Grand Hyatt level property. The property being owned by the owners of Rosewood may make the debate for a " flagship" for two hotels in the same city very interesting indeed.
Objectively though I would think the environs of Mayfair and the smaller number of rooms ( - hope they will " isolate " the rooms from the ballrooms / conferencing areas well .) will place it a notch above Holborn - a Park Hyatt level grade as it were .

Hmm. I never encountered the ballroom so perhaps it depends on what your room is. If you are in one of the houses you should perhaps never encounter anyone, especially the house that has its own entrance. I'm not sure how you could compare this hotel with a Hyatt?!? The amount of money they spent on the furnishings in the Grand Premier Suite I had probably equals the cost of an entire Hyatt House Hotel. And no Hyatt in the world has such upscale houses and suites. Not even a Park Hyatt. Not even close.

As for the new Rosewood London hotel, we'll have to see. My point is that we cannot automatically anoint it as the Rosewood Flagship for London.

bearbrick Nov 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 29061123)
I'll be interested to know what they do with that brutalist behemonth of concrete that squats so unattractively on the square.

and that's why I think David Chipperfield was a most inspired choice ( not that partial to his stuff though ). Hope he will bring a touch of humour and a real sense of place for this blight on the landscape of the area . Use to have to visit the embassy fairly often and disliked the experience every time.
one thing that may be an obstacle is the height of floors for the rooms - if it's too low - that would a big issue .

bearbrick Nov 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29064827)
Hmm. I never encountered the ballroom so perhaps it depends on what your room is. If you are in one of the houses you should perhaps never encounter anyone, especially the house that has its own entrance. I'm not sure how you could compare this hotel with a Hyatt?!? The amount of money they spent on the furnishings in the Grand Premier Suite I had probably equals the cost of an entire Hyatt House Hotel. And no Hyatt in the world has such upscale houses and suites. Not even a Park Hyatt. Not even close.

As for the new Rosewood London hotel, we'll have to see. My point is that we cannot automatically anoint it as the Rosewood Flagship for London.

they have houses ? Residences I imagine ? Didn't realise that - they must be on the left side as you enter the arch to the property .
I was looking for the Spa and got lost ( not unlike a scene from Harry Potter ) and that's how I found myself in the ballroom wing .
Think the new owners of Rosewood use the same designers as their ( was) Hyatt and New World properties but as London was their first foray under them I guess they splurged !

my previous Rosewood stays and experiences have been good too , with Seiyo Ginza and The Dharmawangsa but those were more like franchised properties I think and Dinner at the Mansion Turtle creek with family ages ( think 80s ) ago and tea and room visit at the Lanesborough as a friend was staying there .

stimpy Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 29064933)
they have houses ?

Well they used to call them houses. Now I see they are called Signature Suites. https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...gnature-suites

But the bespoke quality of these suites and the grand premier suite https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...-premier-suite are of such a high quality that I've never seen before in any luxury hotel. The heavy, yet perfectly balanced lacquered sliding door that separated the bedroom from living room must have costs thousands on its own. Other luxury hotels may have one or two of these items in a high end suite, but these suites are filled with them.

offerendum Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Sure there will be a flagship? Why not 2 different hotels on one level?

Nizar Nov 16, 2017 1:02 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29064963)
Well they used to call them houses. Now I see they are called Signature Suites. https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...gnature-suites

But the bespoke quality of these suites and the grand premier suite https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...-premier-suite are of such a high quality that I've never seen before in any luxury hotel. The heavy, yet perfectly balanced lacquered sliding door that separated the bedroom from living room must have costs thousands on its own. Other luxury hotels may have one or two of these items in a high end suite, but these suites are filled with them.

Totally agree. Haven't stayed but the photos look superb. I've been saving my pennies for a stay at the Manor House ever since I saw that marble "half globe" bathtub. Looks next level.
https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...or-house-suite

offerendum Nov 16, 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Nizar (Post 29066361)
Totally agree. Haven't stayed but the photos look superb. I've been saving my pennies for a stay at the Manor House ever since I saw that marble "half globe" bathtub. Looks next level.
https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/lo...or-house-suite

Most important for me is still the own postcode....

vuittonsofstyle Nov 16, 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller (Post 29063894)

Yes, Luang Prabang is on track. Bensley is working with hotel consultant, Jason Friedman on this and all his other projects in Cambodia - Shinta Mani Wild, etc

touringuy Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29064963)

I stayed in the Grand Premier Suite and it is absolutely stunning. Quite possibly the finest, most extravagant and comfortable room I've ever stayed on a vacation. How I ended up in this suite is a story for another post at another time.

chinmoylad Nov 17, 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 29067486)
Yes, Luang Prabang is on track. Bensley is working with hotel consultant, Jason Friedman on this and all his other projects in Cambodia - Shinta Mani Wild, etc

Shinta Mani wild looks exciting!

And yes, I love the look of Rosewood Luang Prabang. In fact, it's the sole reason I'm writing from Amanjiwo right now (absolutely incredible by the way!) instead of from Luang Prabang - I'm waiting for Rosewood to open up before I plan a trip to Luang Prabang...might as well do them all in one go. It was a choice between Yogyakarta or Luang Prabang and I picked the former.

vuittonsofstyle Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 29071202)
Shinta Mani wild looks exciting!

And yes, I love the look of Rosewood Luang Prabang. In fact, it's the sole reason I'm writing from Amanjiwo right now (absolutely incredible by the way!) instead of from Luang Prabang - I'm waiting for Rosewood to open up before I plan a trip to Luang Prabang...might as well do them all in one go. It was a choice between Yogyakarta or Luang Prabang and I picked the former.

Shinta Mani Wild is extremely similar to Bensley's Four Seasons Tented Camp, right down to the Indiana Jones rope bridge. Jason Friedman was opening GM there, so the pair are back together again with this project and all the other new Bensley Collection resorts in Cambodia.

Worth waiting for Rosewood Luang Prabang, as it is so different from the more central hotels - Azerai and Amantaka. I could see some people splitting their stay between the Rosewood and the Aman/Azerai.

stimpy Nov 17, 2017 9:47 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 29071383)
Shinta Mani Wild is extremely similar to Bensley's Four Seasons Tented Camp, right down to the Indiana Jones rope bridge. Jason Friedman was opening GM there, so the pair are back together again with this project and all the other new Bensley Collection resorts in Cambodia.

Worth waiting for Rosewood Luang Prabang, as it is so different from the more central hotels - Azerai and Amantaka. I could see some people splitting their stay between the Rosewood and the Aman/Azerai.

Personally I look forward to splitting my stay between the Rosewood and Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao

vuittonsofstyle Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29071406)
Personally I look forward to splitting my stay between the Rosewood and Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao

Really? Have you been there before? It is such a tired hotel with extremely dated rooms, even at the top end. It bears no comparison to the quality of Azerai or Amantaka.

stimpy Nov 17, 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 29071435)
Really? Have you been there before? It is such a tired hotel with extremely dated rooms, even at the top end. It bears no comparison to the quality of Azerai or Amantaka.

No I haven't been. Is it dated in a 70's sense or a Laos sense? This picture looks ok to me. https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...14568fc1c9.jpghttps://belmondcdn.azureedge.net/......_1280x1280.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8e0342e18d.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...59ce7ef8bf.jpg

vuittonsofstyle Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am

The Belmond is dated in a 70s sense - I see there are no photos of the bathroom! The photos you have posted reflect the look of all 34 'junior suites' which are really just moderately sized deluxe doubles.

Shockingly, the bathrooms only have in-tub showers and are very tired indeed. Rates vary according to the view - the 'best' being a Mountain Pool View.

Also, check out the prices of Belmond compared to Azerai - they are almost twice the amount for what is very sub-standard accommodation.