Rosewood Hotels and Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rosewood Hotels and Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
3 different architects were employed on this project - the first two were fired and the third was basically hired to try and put things right.
The resort is built right on the edge of Patong, which is Phuket's red light district, and yes, you can see it from the resort.
The 'beach' is a narrow strip, which is a public beach. The resort cannot put its own loungers on it, so you have to sit inside a little fence or around the pools (which are lovely). The 'beach' is accessed via a gate in a low picket fence.
If you take a beach villa, you can often hear noisy revellers from Patong getting drunk on the beach outside, which is not ideal, as these are meant to be the best accomodation.
Otherwise, you take a suite in the resort's concrete jungle, which can only be reached by calling for a buggy.
Basically, you enter the resort from a winding road at the top. The resort itself is built on concrete terraced platforms that go down to the lower level, where the pools are. I have rarely seen so much concrete in one resort.
The access roads are like concrete fairground slides that wind upwards - quite narow for the buggies and very ugly.
Butler service seems to revolve around them driving you in buggies from room to pools, to restaurants etc. Tip-hungry for sure.
Restaurants are quite good and nicely designed by the third architect on the project.
To sum up - wrong location, no beach, ugly, awkward design (although the interiors are quite nice) and tip-hungry butlers.
Why anyone would prefer this to Trisara is beyond me.

Thank you for this detailed post! Unfortunately I'm already locked into a 4-day stay in Nov. At the time of booking an ocean view pool suite was half the price of a junior suite at Trisara, so I thought "how bad can it be?"
We do plan on just hanging by our private pool most of the time, so hopefully won't be too bothered by the beach aspect.
Good luck to me! I'll certainly report back as well on how it went!
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
If budget allows, I would highly recommend booking a Club Room. You should have a great stay regardless, but the Manor Club is really fabulous here!
Originally Posted by stimpy
And regarding the point about the Manor Club. I agree that it would greatly enhance your hotel experience and I look forward to trying it out. But that said, you are in Hong Kong! There are much more fun and interesting dining and bar experiences waiting outside the hotel. It's a choice you should think about and the answer will be different for each person.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will probably pass on the Manor for two reasons: It's pretty expensive and I will be traveling solo so I have a limit of about $625 a night or so. The only time I will eat/drink at the hotel is a free breakfast and getting hammered at the hotel bar every night after dinner/drinks in the city.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Or to put this another way, why anyone would want to go to Phuket these days is beyond me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Or to put this another way, why anyone would want to go to Phuket these days is beyond me.
Ding Ding Ding! All these new hotels showing up in Phuket seem like putting lipstick on a pig.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:06 am

It's a huge island and there are still beautiful and relatively unspoilt parts. Why Rosewood chose this location is beyond comprehension. By contrast, Como made an excellent decision to put their resort in a fairly remote part on the exact opposite side of the island from Rosewood and the setting is wonderful.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: LH Senator
3 different architects were employed on this project - the first two were fired and the third was basically hired to try and put things right.
The resort is built right on the edge of Patong, which is Phuket's red light district, and yes, you can see it from the resort.
The 'beach' is a narrow strip, which is a public beach. The resort cannot put its own loungers on it, so you have to sit inside a little fence or around the pools (which are lovely). The 'beach' is accessed via a gate in a low picket fence.
If you take a beach villa, you can often hear noisy revellers from Patong getting drunk on the beach outside, which is not ideal, as these are meant to be the best accomodation.
Otherwise, you take a suite in the resort's concrete jungle, which can only be reached by calling for a buggy.
Basically, you enter the resort from a winding road at the top. The resort itself is built on concrete terraced platforms that go down to the lower level, where the pools are. I have rarely seen so much concrete in one resort.
The access roads are like concrete fairground slides that wind upwards - quite narow for the buggies and very ugly.
Butler service seems to revolve around them driving you in buggies from room to pools, to restaurants etc. Tip-hungry for sure.
Restaurants are quite good and nicely designed by the third architect on the project.
To sum up - wrong location, no beach, ugly, awkward design (although the interiors are quite nice) and tip-hungry butlers.
I fully agree with this description. Furthermore, the gym is rather disappointing. Sparsely equipped and located inside the kids club with no view. We really disliked the dark bathroom/closet area, the villa pool was small and the water looked murky.

Everything was too walled in, and we had an odd feeling of not being near a sea/beach despite the beach front location.

The plants looked like wild growing weeds, and there was plenty of plastic litter on the rather unattractive beach.

The only good thing about having stayed there, is that we now appreciate Trisara more than ever. Coming back here felt like going to paradise.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:17 am

I disagree that Phuket is over - if you stay within the national park at Trisara or Anantara Layan, then all you can see is forests and ocean. It is incredibly unspoilt and beautiful. It is only if you stay in the tourist areas that you encounter the tacky side of the island.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

I disagree that Phuket is over - if you stay within the national park at Trisara or Anantara Layan, then all you can see is forests and ocean. It is incredibly unspoilt and beautiful. It is only if you stay in the tourist areas that you encounter the tacky side of the island.
I know, see, understand etc where you are coming from Vuittons, but my memories of Phuket from the 1980s and 1990s are so strong that I can't ever return. Even sitting in the luxo-bubble of somewhere like Amanpuri or Trisara I couldn't help but shudder at the thought of what was going on outside the compound. Yes I know that might apply to almost anywhere in the world but I think that resorts are rather different. Take Siem Reap, yes it's become a ravaged, over-touristed place but there is still Angkor to wonder at and I'd go back. I'm not sure about Bora Bora, though, or Bali, and Phuket falls into the same category.

BTW, did you see the story that the Indonesian government is to close Komodo to tourists from 2020?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My question is about the new Rosewood Bangkok. Was it designed by the same people who did Phuket? The location is far from tranquil.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:51 am

I know, see, understand etc where you are coming from Vuittons, but my memories of Phuket from the 1980s and 1990s are so strong that I can't ever return. Even sitting in the luxo-bubble of somewhere like Amanpuri or Trisara I couldn't help but shudder at the thought of what was going on outside the compound. Yes I know that might apply to almost anywhere in the world but I think that resorts are rather different. Take Siem Reap, yes it's become a ravaged, over-touristed place but there is still Angkor to wonder at and I'd go back. I'm not sure about Bora Bora, though, or Bali, and Phuket falls into the same category.

BTW, did you see the story that the Indonesian government is to close Komodo to tourists from 2020?
My memories of Phuket also go back to the late 1980s and I know exactly what you mean. To recapture those times, I go to Trisara these days as it has managed to retain the magic.
MikeFromTokyo, scented and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
My question is about the new Rosewood Bangkok. Was it designed by the same people who did Phuket? The location is far from tranquil.
BKK Architect is KPF / Kohn Pederson Fox and the interiors are by Celia Chu. I absolutely adore that building, though I have yet to see the interiors (other than pictures). Rooms and suites look a bit too "decorated" for my taste.

I am not too sure about Phuket architects, the interiors were done by Melbourne-based BAR Studio (they also did Beijing and various Hyatts). I would actually have to commend them for dealing with this nightmare.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:28 pm

I have to be in the area of the Rosewood Phuket for a wedding. Are all the bad comments in regard to it being a luxury resort or just a resort in general. If it's the latter, I might just stay at the Marriott next door for a fraction of the cost.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:28 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ajca
It's a huge island and there are still beautiful and relatively unspoilt parts. Why Rosewood chose this location is beyond comprehension. By contrast, Como made an excellent decision to put their resort in a fairly remote part on the exact opposite side of the island from Rosewood and the setting is wonderful.
Yes , there are beautiful & unspoilt areas .
COMO site was selected by Adrian ZECHA , for an obviously project of his
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Yes , there are beautiful & unspoilt areas .
COMO site was selected by Adrian ZECHA , for an obviously project of his
Absolutely: it was conceptioned as a GHM with a large red pool!
Now the interior design is a bit more boring, but the location and the room sizes are great.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by deer
Absolutely: it was conceptioned as a GHM with a large red pool!
Now the interior design is a bit more boring, but the location and the room sizes are great.
Pity, though, that the building looks like a multi-storey car park!
bearbrick and scented like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.