Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about next trip?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Question about next trip?

I am having a bit of difficulty planning my next trip. I have a 3 night free voucher to Six Senses Zil Payson - which I plan on using during the festive season. I actually can't stay more then 3 days because their Wifi is terrible (and hasn't been fixed yet) and I need to access GoToMeeting.

Raffles Praslin is horrible. Banyan Tree doesnt even have a business center (which I also need, for meetings in the middle of the night).

That leaves the only hotel within budget as Four Seasons Seychelles. However, 5 nights still cost something like 8k Euro, and thats not even their top category. Additionally, when the rate drops that low, I would have to spend 2 nights between Six Senses and Four Seasons.

The other options are all in the Maldives.

I am considering

Anantara Kihavah (half board included)
FS Kudda Hura (small pool)
Conrad (for a high category, but still, very large resort)
or the new Park Hyatt Deluxe Pool Villa (which is a good price)

Should I just bite the bullet and do 4S? Or would you prefer the Maldives? I had to limit the Maldives options to only those who have a 24/7 business center with buggy service / short walk. I called basically every resort using a narrower set of requirements - for example; Taj and Amilla Fushi all close their business center early.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:20 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'd figure out where you actually want to go...and just go! Then pick your best combo of properties as needed.

I also think the StR Maldives has a business center. It's gotten some of the best reviews I've seen in eons for a brand new luxury hotel. If the price is right, maybe that's a good option. But if you want the Seychelles, go to the Seychelles and just bite the bullet. You only live once (unless you're Hindu or Buddhist).
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:07 pm

I totally agree, first figure out where you want to go, and the choose the resort. It’s always the best choice to just “bite the bullet” and go for what you really want, instead of settling for something else.

By the way, regardless of what they may say their hours are, any hotel or resort that won’t open up the business center 24/7 upon request ain’t no luxury property in my eyes. That’s a very simple and reasonable request, considering people do business at all hours with different time zones, etc...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd figure out where you actually want to go...and just go! Then pick your best combo of properties as needed.

I also think the StR Maldives has a business center. It's gotten some of the best reviews I've seen in eons for a brand new luxury hotel. If the price is right, maybe that's a good option. But if you want the Seychelles, go to the Seychelles and just bite the bullet. You only live once (unless you're Hindu or Buddhist).
The StR does have a business center but the rates are a bit high for the dates.

Here is a straw poll to vote:

https://strawpoll.com/91773wpd
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
The StR does have a business center but the rates are a bit high for the dates.

Here is a straw poll to vote:

https://strawpoll.com/91773wpd
Okay, I voted Anantara Kihavah because I feel it provides superior value, inclsive of half board at one outlet and all categories have private pools.

But, it’s an apples and oranges comprison to throw FS Seychelles in there too... It’s a great resort, so you have to decide which experience you want.

Kuda Huraa is also a good choice, in close proximity to MLE. Depending on rates that could be a great option. Just not if it’s much more expensive than Kihavah for your dates.

I’d forget about Park Hyatt and Conrad. You can do better at the other three options. Conrad also has a reputation for horrendous price gouging on F&B, probably because half the resort is most likely booked on points or by package tours...

On that point, having half board at Kihavah’s all day dining outlet is a way to regulate F&B spend. That means you don’t necessarily have to have an expensive dinner every night, but will still always have a proper meal regardless.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Okay, I voted Anantara Kihavah because I feel it provides superior value, inclsive of half board at one outlet and all categories have private pools.

But, it’s an apples and oranges comprison to throw FS Seychelles in there too... It’s a great resort, so you have to decide which experience you want.

Kuda Huraa is also a good choice, in close proximity to MLE. Depending on rates that could be a great option. Just not if it’s much more expensive than Kihavah for your dates.

I’d forget about Park Hyatt and Conrad. You can do better at the other three options. Conrad also has a reputation for horrendous price gouging on F&B, probably because half the resort is most likely booked on points or by package tours...

On that point, having half board at Kihavah’s all day dining outlet is a way to regulate F&B spend. That means you don’t necessarily have to have an expensive dinner every night, but will still always have a proper meal regardless.
This is the way I'm leaning.

I don't really like hotels where guests are "on points" and certainly don't want to overpriced for mediocre food and beverage.

I also haven't been on a seaplane in a few years, which is another pro For kihavah. To be honest, kihavah and four seasons seychells are the same rate. However, four seasons would just be a lead in room, which doesn't look all the private.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
This is the way I'm leaning.

I don't really like hotels where guests are "on points" and certainly don't want to overpriced for mediocre food and beverage.

I also haven't been on a seaplane in a few years, which is another pro For kihavah. To be honest, kihavah and four seasons seychells are the same rate. However, four seasons would just be a lead in room, which doesn't look all the private.
As long as this is not a “once in a lifetime” thing, which it certainly doesn’t sound like it is, then I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Kihavah is definitely a value leader, especially when you compre it to the nearby FS LG, where rates seem to have soared in recent years. And since one does not always want a big expensive dinner, having the half board included really appeals. The way I look at it, that added value takes the edge off of the F&B spend, making one feel better about ordering good bottles of wine or having special dinners on other nights (private dining, Teppanyaki, etc...).

Are you thinking of overwater or beach villas? If available, you could even negotiate a price for the two bedroom overwater villas (at end of jetty). You could use the second bedroom for those late night business meetings without having to even leave the villa or disturb anyone else. That type of overwater is optimal even if just double occupancy, because they also have the most privacy and large private pools (just like the two bedroom overwaters at FS LG).
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 21, 2017 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
As long as this is not a “once in a lifetime” thing, which it certainly doesn’t sound like it is, then I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Kihavah is definitely a value leader, especially when you compre it to the nearby FS LG, where rates seem to have soared in recent years. And since one does not always want a big expensive dinner, having the half board included really appeals. The way I look at it, that added value takes the edge off of the F&B spend, making one feel better about ordering good bottles of wine or having special dinners on other nights (private dining, Teppanyaki, etc...).

Are you thinking of overwater or beach villas? If available, you could even negotiate a price for the two bedroom overwater villas (at end of jetty). You could use the second bedroom for those late night business meetings without having to even leave the villa or disturb anyone else. That type of overwater is optimal even if just double occupancy, because they also have the most privacy and large private pools (just like the two bedroom overwaters at FS LG).
I had the hotel put in writing that , pending availability, I can get upgraded from an overwater bungalow to a beach residence.

Once they told me this I said "yeaaaaaaa right" but they actually did email me with this offer so I have a paper trail.

^

Now lets hope noone books that room in the next two months!
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.