Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am.not fussed on wild dogs. To me they are scarier than the rest. I'd just love the big and babies. Of course then lots of protective mummas.
Wild dogs have babies, too (click the "vimeo.com/1461114" link below):
(from a trip I took to Botswana (Lebala camp) a while back)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Which properties? Did they have any luck with dogs? I’m obsessed with wild dogs -
We rode along with a wild dog hunt at Tswalu; it was an incredible experience (we were at Morukuru in Madikwe - known for wild dogs - on the same trip but saw none there)
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:27 am

We booked two trips to Africa with And Beyond. All the logistics were taken care of, whether we were staying in an And Beyond property or not. For one trip to South Africa, we stayed at one of their Phinda properties, followed by a stay at Ngala Tented Camp. Both were very nice, great animals, great people. I liked Ngala Tented Camp so much, I went back a second time. As you research camps and lodges, be sure to ask how many people per car for game drives.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We did our first safari in the Singita Kruger Park lodges last month and had the most incredible time. I'm not going to rank the properties themselves anywhere near the best I've ever been, but the experience was right up there. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and I would highly recommend it.
Originally Posted by Ericka
Singita

Remember...it’s totally all inclusive...great SA wines, wonderful food, laundry, two game drives daily, etc. It costs them a lot to get these luxuries out to the middle of nowhere!
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Singita
singita (lots of discussion here)
- possibly adding on private vehicle
- possibly including Explore if tanzania

Originally Posted by wideman
how you can do your next safari, no matter the cost.
similar with some other things, can't 'go back' to regular lux hotels
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by wideman
Wild dogs have babies, too (click the "vimeo.com/1461114" link below): https://vimeo.com/1461114 (from a trip I took to Botswana (Lebala camp) a while back)
Little rascals. Thanks for showing me.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:17 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Need to delete post. I mentioned wild dogs, which is not luxury travel and belongs in a different forum.

Last edited by DSI; Oct 24, 2017 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:37 am
Community Director Emerita

We saw large packs of wild dogs at Belmond Khwai River Lodge, Botswana. There was a National Geographic film crew tracking them at the same time.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am planning a trip that will include someone who has never done a safari before. I am torn between the following for a first trip:

1. Out of Arusha, Tanzania, to include Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater at a minimum. Allows seeing vast wildebeest herds, possibly in migration. Seems to be harder to organize, and might possibly (ugh) end up in a group.

2. Out of the Kruger area, South Africa. Seems to have better choices for accommodation and easier to arrange. I can rent a car from Jo'burg, allowing a day or two doing the driving thing in Kruger as well as a luxury place.

What do you folks think?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

1. Out of Arusha, Tanzania, to include Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater at a minimum. Allows seeing vast wildebeest herds, possibly in migration. Seems to be harder to organize, and might possibly (ugh) end up in a group
I'm perplexed at the group statement. We did it independently thru an agency in Arusha. We had an excellent driver for the week that we traveled in Tanzania. And because we had our own driver, there were only the two of us in the vehicle for our game drives.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SanDiego1K, how/where did you stay? just driver, not guide?

depending on what budget allows, if 3 people and 2 night minimum, singita tanzania Explore mobile camp is ~$1500pp in peak, camp is exclusive-use, and singita has a lot of land

south africa - for example sabi sand (not just singita) is near kruger

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 23, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, that's great to hear, SanDiego1k, can you provide details? Personally, I would prefer Tanzania, I think it's a great experience.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:53 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
If anyone is interested, Nomad Tanzania priced the below itinerary for 1st Nov 2018 onwards at $12,758 per person all in (as far as I can tell, local flights, taxes, etc.). Includes a private driver/guide from Tarangire through to end of Serengeti and then shared in Ruaha and Selous.

1 night Giraffe Manor (this is an absolute must do for me)
2 nights Kuro Tarangire
2 nights Entamanu Ngorongoro (I will likely drop a night here and move to Serengeti)
3 nights Serengeti Safari Camp (add a night from Ngorongoro)
2 nights Kigelia Ruaha
3 nights Sand Rivers Selous
3 nights Zawadi Hotel Zanzibar (I haven't heard of this place before)

They priced itemised which I appreciate. Going in November means take advantage of stay 7/pay 5 northern circuit, stay 5/pay 4 southern circuit. November migration should be heading from northern Serengeti to central (albeit this year the short rains came early so they are already in central now).

Seems like a pretty decent offer with a reasonably well respected safari operator (although maybe not as high-end as some may want on this forum, my focus more on the experience and game viewing).

Surprisingly, have had a few African operators quote me Four Seasons. Maybe it works out better when you already have your own driver/guide as I think the base rate there doesn't include any safari activities. I'd rather avoid though...

Last edited by SojournsOf; Oct 23, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:58 pm

Oh, that's great to hear, SanDiego1k, can you provide details? Personally, I would prefer Tanzania, I think it's a great experience.
Here is an ancient thread on our trip. We weren't doing luxe travel then.

Northern Tanzanian Game Parks: a 9 day itinerary

There are now luxe accommodations. I keep running notes about possible future trips. These are copied from reports in this forum. My apologies that I am not acknowledging the original posters.

Tanzania - Sabora Tented Camp and Sasakwa Lodge
For people who want to go to Singita, I would advise flying into Nairobi (with swiss for example), From there Singita can organize a small private plane for you to take you directly to the Singita Lodges Airstrip. Just need to do a short stop in the middle of nowhere for customs (total travel time with the plane is around 1.5 hours).

Singita Grumeti, private reserve - June - wildebeest migration

Greystoke Mahale - http://www.nomad-tanzania.com/west/greystoke-mahale chimpanzee safaris

Retreat Selous, http://www.retreat-africa.com/
AMAZING stay at The Retreat Selous. We had our own butler, server, chef, driver, guide, vehicle, etc. and the price was very reasonable ($5K USD for 4 nights including flights from DAR, all food and booze and 2 activities a day which included driving or walking safari, boat safari, fishing, spa, etc).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:36 pm
DSI

It might be wise to consider Serian or Nomad over Singita. Singita, understandably, is more aggressive at marketing through consortiums but that doesn't make it better.

Kichaka Ruaha is perhaps regarded as the finest experience in Tanzania if not Africa. Jabali could be a good option too?

Last edited by DSI; Oct 23, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:32 am
DSI

I am planning a trip that will include someone who has never done a safari before. I am torn between the following for a first trip:

1. Out of Arusha, Tanzania, to include Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater at a minimum. Allows seeing vast wildebeest herds, possibly in migration. Seems to be harder to organize, and might possibly (ugh) end up in a group.

2. Out of the Kruger area, South Africa. Seems to have better choices for accommodation and easier to arrange. I can rent a car from Jo'burg, allowing a day or two doing the driving thing in Kruger as well as a luxury place.

What do you folks think?
You may get more traction if you ask in the in the Africa forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.