Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

Reply

Old Oct 13, 17, 11:10 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Posts: 2,711
I just had an absolutely AMAZING stay at The Retreat Selous. We had our own butler, server, chef, driver, guide, vehicle, etc. and the price was very reasonable ($5K USD for 4 nights including flights from DAR, all food and booze and 2 activities a day which included driving or walking safari, boat safari, fishing, spa, etc). We did a drive in the morning and fished in the late afternoon. Was awesome.
CanuckFlyHigh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 3:21 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,173
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
What is your budget? You may be very surprised what "Luxury" in Safari terms costs you. 2KUSD/night(all inclusive) is barely luxury.
I did not realise the cost. I assumed would be similar for other nice hotels ie $1000 a night. Jasper2009 showed me some for $2000 a night that were entry level 5 star suites. I did really like them. Im on my phone so will list the suggestion when I can.

I told husband that for 1 we get nothing special so we need to go to $2000 a night. I thought he'd complain but he just shrugged his shoulders and said ok. It does add up as others say. Add in biz airfares from Australia and its a 30k trip.

To others who went. Was it everything and more you hoped for?

I'm just not sure after the safari there is enough for me to do that I'd like if I was spending this sort of money.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 17, 1:40 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,302
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
To others who went. Was it everything and more you hoped for?

I'm just not sure after the safari there is enough for me to do that I'd like if I was spending this sort of money.
We did our first safari in the Singita Kruger Park lodges last month and had the most incredible time. I'm not going to rank the properties themselves anywhere near the best I've ever been, but the experience was right up there. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and I would highly recommend it.

Here are some pictures

MacMyDay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 17, 6:50 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,054
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I did not realise the cost. I assumed would be similar for other nice hotels ie $1000 a night. Jasper2009 showed me some for $2000 a night that were entry level 5 star suites. I did really like them. Im on my phone so will list the suggestion when I can.

I told husband that for 1 we get nothing special so we need to go to $2000 a night. I thought he'd complain but he just shrugged his shoulders and said ok. It does add up as others say. Add in biz airfares from Australia and its a 30k trip.

To others who went. Was it everything and more you hoped for?

I'm just not sure after the safari there is enough for me to do that I'd like if I was spending this sort of money.
Yes absolutely. You will remember the experience forever. Do it!
Londonjetsetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:37 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Are lodges at this price point able to provide spotless clean rooms? Id hate to pay USD 2k/pp/night and have to sleep with spiders inside the room
Carlos Araujo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 12:55 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 136
Botswana is the best place to go for Safaris. Private concessions ensure that you are almost alone in the wilderness. Camps are very small and do not have more than 8-10 rooms.

Wilderness Safaris is one of the Premium Safari Providers: http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/countries/botswana

I stayed in Chitabe Camp, Pelo Camps, Duba Expedition Camp, Duma Tau in September 2017 and I absolutely loved it.
olivier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 1:22 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by olivier View Post
Wilderness Safaris is one of the Premium Safari Providers: http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/countries/botswana
Friends of ours went with this outfit and had a fabulous time.

They always know which animals they want to see and chose where they stay accordingly. They are wild dog addicts and there are some lodges which specialise in sightings of those animals.
Pausanias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:06 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MEL
Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by olivier View Post
Botswana is the best place to go for Safaris. Private concessions ensure that you are almost alone in the wilderness. Camps are very small and do not have more than 8-10 rooms.

Wilderness Safaris is one of the Premium Safari Providers: http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/countries/botswana

I stayed in Chitabe Camp, Pelo Camps, Duba Expedition Camp, Duma Tau in September 2017 and I absolutely loved it.
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Friends of ours went with this outfit and had a fabulous time.

They always know which animals they want to see and chose where they stay accordingly. They are wild dog addicts and there are some lodges which specialise in sightings of those animals.
Is it just me or is that wilderness safari website exceptionally poorly designed ? I clicked on Little Mombo and can't seem to find any photos of villas interior or exterior or anything ?
Nizar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 4:09 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Miles and More
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
Is it just me or is that wilderness safari website exceptionally poorly designed ? I clicked on Little Mombo and can't seem to find any photos of villas interior or exterior or anything ?
Mombo and Little Mombo are currently closed due to renovation. Currently, Mombo Trails Camp is open as temporary facility. http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...bo-trails-camp
olivier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 1:59 pm
  #25  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,030
A while back when I seriously was planning a safari trip I worked with Rhino Africa and they were superb. Responsive, expert, smart, able to to take into account certain constraints. Just flat out super. In the end, I made the very painful decision that Jim's dementia precluded the trip.

https://www.rhinoafrica.com/en

Last edited by KatW; Oct 18, 17 at 2:30 pm
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 5:05 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Friends of ours went with this outfit and had a fabulous time.

They always know which animals they want to see and chose where they stay accordingly. They are wild dog addicts and there are some lodges which specialise in sightings of those animals.
Which properties? Did they have any luck with dogs? I’m obsessed with wild dogs - actually would choose seeing these over any other animal. I missed them in South Africa. Have heard Selous, Kwando/Linyanti and north Laikipia have healthy populations and the best chance to spot them. We are thinking about a safari soon...

Edit: Just read today that the Laikipia populations have been almost wiped out due to canine distemper

Last edited by sydakllon; Oct 19, 17 at 5:52 pm
sydakllon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 7:23 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
Which properties? Did they have any luck with dogs? I’m obsessed with wild dogs - actually would choose seeing these over any other animal.
My friend has had several amazing encounters with wild dogs.

I think he said his best trip was to Botswana where I know they stayed at two lodges, Selinda and Vumbura Plains.
Pausanias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 7:59 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,173
Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
Which properties? Did they have any luck with dogs? Im obsessed with wild dogs - actually would choose seeing these over any other animal. I missed them in South Africa. Have heard Selous, Kwando/Linyanti and north Laikipia have healthy populations and the best chance to spot them. We are thinking about a safari soon...

Edit: Just read today that the Laikipia populations have been almost wiped out due to canine distemper
I am.not fussed on wild dogs. To me they are scarier than the rest. I'd just love the big and babies. Of course then lots of protective mummas.

I do love the cats.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 3:41 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TPE
Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
My friend has had several amazing encounters with wild dogs.

I think he said his best trip was to Botswana where I know they stayed at two lodges, Selinda and Vumbura Plains.
I've been to Selinda Explorers and we saw wild dogs on one of our drives. They were quite some distance from camp, but the guide seemed to be fairly confident that we'd find them, so I'm guessing they aren't overly transient (or at least they weren't at that time).
jiaotze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:26 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Turkey
Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
Which properties? Did they have any luck with dogs? Im obsessed with wild dogs - actually would choose seeing these over any other animal. I missed them in South Africa. Have heard Selous, Kwando/Linyanti and north Laikipia have healthy populations and the best chance to spot them. We are thinking about a safari soon...

Edit: Just read today that the Laikipia populations have been almost wiped out due to canine distemper
we saw wild dogs at singita sabi sands, but it was considered as a super rare and lucky moment. i think botswana is the best place to view wild dogs
tcmb99 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread