Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Help Us Pick an NYC Hotel

Old Sep 11, 17, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NONE

Hello, we are going to NYC this fall to shop and eat. We don't do any membership programs and generally non-drinkers so we don't care much about bars or nightclubs.

That said, we are trying to decide between The Plaza or the Ritz-Carlton Central Park. We like the butler service (baths, unpacking, custom minibar, etc.) and the spa at the Plaza and have almost decided on that, but wanted some opinions. We'd book a suite at Plaza but a room at RC.

Our options are limited to a Central Park/Upper East Side hotel with a budget of $1K/night and what we enjoy most in a hotel is perfect service, comfortable beds, and good amenities. We are open to any recommendations (please say why/why not), thank you!

Last edited by hotchocolate; Sep 12, 17 at 12:18 am
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would take the Ritz Carlton in a heartbeat. I'd make my booking through a STARS or Virtuoso agent and hope their power and influence gets me a bigger than base room or even suite at RC? Not a fan of the touristy trap Plaza.
hotchocolate likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 12, 17 at 12:28 am
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: NONE
Thanks Aventine! We've never explored any of the travel services, we've always thought it too much of a pain, how does it work? Aside from being touristy, what does the Ritz Carlton offer that Plaza does not? We've sometimes found in touristy hotels that being a guest sort of "opens up" layers of the hotel that gawkers don't normally get access to/see. Since it looks like you're a spa reviewer, do you have any info on the spas at those two hotels? They both look amazing but I like that Guerlain presses your clothes.
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The Mark

Boutique , UES . Jean Georges , with their own hot dog stand by entrance of hotel if you are in a rush

Lovely ' hood
Near the Met , excellent restaurants . Central Park .
Amazing shops , check out some just round the corner literally . You will need time ! Yes , with so many within a 15 minutes walking radius ..

Just typing this makes me want to return !

But I am currently enjoying the English countryside at Raymond BLANC ' s LMAQS , OX , so I should just stay on & stick with London & not cross the pond

Besides what has already been mentioned , upgrades , etc are often accorded when you know someone , in the hotel or the like , other than TAs or other travel services

Have a lovely time in NYC , even if you end up in a " wrong " hotel for NYC , so many decent ones to choose from . Maybe daunting for some .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 12, 17 at 1:48 am
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by hotchocolate View Post
Thanks Aventine! We've never explored any of the travel services, we've always thought it too much of a pain, how does it work? Aside from being touristy, what does the Ritz Carlton offer that Plaza does not? We've sometimes found in touristy hotels that being a guest sort of "opens up" layers of the hotel that gawkers don't normally get access to/see. Since it looks like you're a spa reviewer, do you have any info on the spas at those two hotels? They both look amazing but I like that Guerlain presses your clothes.
It's quite painless to make those bookings. Any of the fine agents from this forum would be able to make the booking. 2 emails or less maybe!

haha thank you for noticing. I think @scented and @vuittonsofstyle could give you better info on the Guerlain or La Prairie spas in NYC.
All my spa reviews happen primarily in Korea and Japan (where we're living).
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:07 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Avoid the Plaza at all costs.

If you like the Central Park South area check out the Mandarin Oriental as well.

And here are two more suggestions:

The Baccarat and the Whitby. They are smaller and won't have the same views but beatific properties.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:10 am

I know for a fact that the MO NY spa is top notch but I'm just avoiding it because the spaing, treatment concept is more of the same like Asia.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
The Mark

Boutique , UES . Jean Georges , with their own hot dog stand by entrance of hotel if you are in a rush

Lovely ' hood
Near the Met , excellent restaurants . Central Park .
Amazing shops , check out some just round the corner literally . You will need time ! Yes , with so many within a 15 minutes walking radius ..

Just typing this makes me want to return !

But I am currently enjoying the English countryside at Raymond BLANC ' s LMAQS , OX , so I should just stay on & stick with London & not cross the pond

Besides what has already been mentioned , upgrades , etc are often accorded when you know someone , in the hotel or the like , other than TAs or other travel services

Have a lovely time in NYC , even if you end up in a " wrong " hotel for NYC , so many decent ones to choose from . Maybe daunting for some .
http://www.themarkhotel.com/the-mark-experience/

Their website is just so well laid out and downright charming!
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by hotchocolate View Post
Hello, we are going to NYC this fall to shop and eat. We don't do any membership programs and generally non-drinkers so we don't care much about bars or nightclubs.

That said, we are trying to decide between The Plaza or the Ritz-Carlton Central Park. We like the butler service (baths, unpacking, custom minibar, etc.) and the spa at the Plaza and have almost decided on that, but wanted some opinions. We'd book a suite at Plaza but a room at RC.

Our options are limited to a Central Park/Upper East Side hotel with a budget of $1K/night and what we enjoy most in a hotel is perfect service, comfortable beds, and good amenities. We are open to any recommendations (please say why/why not), thank you!
Check out The Lowell Hotel. It is superb! https://www.lowellhotel.com/
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Curious. NYC has a long list of fine hotels. How did the Plaza even end up on that list? To put it politely, the Plaza is .... uhhh ... not well regarded here.

My vote goes to the Mark, but I've had very good stays at the Trump Columbus Circle. Hated the MO. Liked the old FS, but without a restaurant it is too dull.

At the Trump, you'd have a front row seat to the statue drama
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:46 am

If you like butler style service and an historical property, as it sounds like you do, then you should really be looking at the St. Regis. With Virtuoso confirmed upgrades up to Astor suite guaranteed if available at the time of booking, it really is a no-brainer choice.

R-C Central Park is nice, and a great choice for park views, but as you do not value club level (one of R-C's strong points), I would think StR with confirmed upgrade would be ideal.

I would rather eat my own head than stay at the Plaza...
bhrubin and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:50 am
Original Member

Love the St. Regis and its butler service.

I also am perplexed by preference for the Plaza, eek.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:05 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Are you set on uptown/park location? I'm not really a fan of uptown shopping. You'd be better off downtown - Jeffrey, Barneys Downtown, DSM, etc. and the Soho flagships are a much better shopping experience IMO. I've stayed at Crosby and loved it, but it might not be your style if you like more old world.
Makanmata likes this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:50 pm

Just my opinion, but I think that the combination of unremitting tourist hordes and the constant smell of horse dung in the air, combine to make the corner that the Plaza sits on one of the most unpleasant corners of all the World's cities, and I would choose to stay anywhere else. As a long time resident of New York, I personally don't understand the fascination tourists have with this part of town -- there is better everything -- shopping, food, pleasant quieter neighborhoods, parks -- elsewhere (and usually points well to the south downtown).
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Museum Mile is not to be disdained.
[Former Manhattan resident at Sullivan and Spring for 14 years.]

Last edited by KatW; Sep 12, 17 at 10:41 pm

Search this Thread