Reload this Page >

Help Us Pick an NYC Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Us Pick an NYC Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:39 pm

The Lowell is a very special hotel. It is the quintessential hotel for pure class and sophisticated, whimsical charm. It is stepping back in time to 1948 (in a truly fabulous way); one sort of expects to see Ruth Ford having a quiet conversation over cocktails with George Platt Lynes.

Others have mentioned the St Regis and I thoroughly agree that it is a splendid hotel. It is certainly the top choice if one is looking for OTT (though beautifully tasteful) extravagance and formal service.

The Plaza has all the authenticity and character of one of those theme hotels at Disney World.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Aventine
I know for a fact that the MO NY spa is top notch but I'm just avoiding it because the spaing, treatment concept is more of the same like Asia.
Originally Posted by Aventine
http://www.themarkhotel.com/the-mark-experience/

Their website is just so well laid out and downright charming!
Well , one usually does not have time in NYC for spa , think only once in 40 or so years ! Not one in a hotel either & it was very good . The MONY Spa is supposed to be excellent but with its top notch NYC rates too , have not had or made time to experience even whilst staying there .

As for The Mark , charming alright - just take it from the website . Stay to experience !
Enjoyed it before the refurbishment & even. more so now , was a bit wary of the changes initially .

Many good ones to choose from in NYC !
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Vaterland
The Lowell is a very special hotel. It is the quintessential hotel for pure class and sophisticated, whimsical charm. It is stepping back in time to 1948 (in a truly fabulous way); one sort of expects to see Ruth Ford having a quiet conversation over cocktails with George Platt Lynes.

Others have mentioned the St Regis and I thoroughly agree that it is a splendid hotel. It is certainly the top choice if one is looking for OTT (though beautifully tasteful) extravagance and formal service.

The Plaza has all the authenticity and character of one of those theme hotels at Disney World.
I totally agree that the Lowell is a wonderful choice. Especially if you can get one of the best Junior Suites with fireplaces.

The Peninsula is another great choice in my opinion, although it's an hotel that seems to polarize opinion. I love it. Pen Club gets fully flexible check in/check out times at your convenience.

And as I already suggested, St. Regis with confirmed upgrades.

The Plaza is just an astoundingly bad hotel on every level. I don't know why anyone would pay good money to stay there considering there are about a dozen better choices right nearby.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone stayed at the Baccarat since it opened a couple of years ago? Looking on feedback of both hard and soft product (less so F&B), and not location.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Has anyone stayed at the Baccarat since it opened a couple of years ago? Looking on feedback of both hard and soft product (less so F&B), and not location.
I believe the poster NYBanker (not sure of spelling) has stayed and written a review. I seem to recall it was positive. You could do a search in this forum using the "advanced search" function.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

searching may require putting all words in quotes now.
a little while ago it broke completely, not sure re status

i definitely recall regulars here visiting, not sure re stay

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I believe the poster NYBanker (not sure of spelling) has stayed and written a review. I seem to recall it was positive. You could do a search in this forum using the "advanced search" function.
Hmm...not seeing it. I believe his website is Sitinfirst.com, and didn't see anything there either.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Hmm...not seeing it. I believe his website is Sitinfirst.com, and didn't see anything there either.
He's a very approachable person, so perhaps send him a PM just to ask. It couldn't hurt.

Or, I could be mistaken. Maybe it was someone else. But I do recall at least one review from a trusted source that was generally quite positive. Haven't heard anything negative, and I would remember if I had. So, I hope that helps at least.

If Kage can't find it, no one can! But, nevertheless, I am sure I've seen positive reviews from reliable sources.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GK1998
We really loved the Baccarat, we had a classic suite which was very nice and spacious. Excellent service, the Grand Salon is fantastic for meeting with friends to have a snack and drniks. It's located just opposit the MoMa. This is our current favorite in NYC. I find the Peninsula a bit tired. ^
GK1998
Programs: Amanjunkie
mike_la_jolla mixed re visit, posts in multiple threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25591418

Goodmorning2U also visited, multiple posts
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24848037

off2rome stayed
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25591201

search may have been fixed (was totally dead recently)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
No, the Plaza doesn't even get to that level of kitsch. The Plaza reminds me of the Excalibur Hotel from Vegas but with worse service and older rooms. Although I must admit, it is hard to adequately insult the Plaza. During my stay, they worked *hard* to make sure I would never return.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:26 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We've had great stays at The Peninsula, St. Regis and The Surrey. Trip reports on this forum.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:51 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I prefer something further south. Gansevoort PA, while maybe not as uppity as the surrey, ended up being really great and much better, than our stay at the surrey, or the St. Regis, which after many stays, I'm just tired of.

I also liked Chatwal.

And there's my favorite chain....
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NONE
Wow! You guys sure come through with the recommendations! We've definitely eliminated the Plaza from consideration!!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by hotchocolate
Wow! You guys sure come through with the recommendations! We've definitely eliminated the Plaza from consideration!!
Please let us know of your choice, once you decide.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NONE
Please let us know of your choice, once you decide.
We've booked the St. Regis. It is in the right area, close to all the shopping we want to do and most of our restaurant choices. We'll miss having a spa in the hotel, but it's easy enough to go to one nearby.
MikeFromTokyo and Aventine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.