Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Aventine
I can't imagine how they think they could keep the pre payment and not fulfill their guest obligations...
Terrible. That's exactly why I never want to do pre-payment for my hotel stays.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
This is horrible. This hotel has long been on our list and we are definitely not going to stay here now. Surely your virtuoso agent can help?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure how credit card disputes compare in canada vs US, and may be wire/bank

wolf72, presumably not that many? no issues with GMs of other nationalities?

Originally Posted by wolf72
bumped out of his room and floor because the Sultan of Brunei and his entourage were flying in. He was told he had to move out of his room/floor
speaking of, cant recall if ever came up here re dorchester hotels, which brunei owns

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I guess this is the kind of stroke Jay Z really has!

The costs of that don't even need to be absorbed by the resort, just build that charge into the already ridiculous amount the Jigga Man is paying.
its known to be his booking?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
Could the OP contact his credit card company and try to work with the CC company to cancel the transaction of payment by showing the CC company the email from Cheval Blanc?
I would strongly advise against this, as this would not be in the best interest of OP -- he/she did everything right.

Most credit card companies wouldn't do anything, especially based on simply an email. They would try go get in touch with the merchant/resort and ask them what happened. Involving them won't bring OP far, the only way is through GM and corporate. There is a certain risk that by cancelling a CC transaction, the chances of any compensation are forfeited.

Only exception would be American Express. In the past, they have always credited the full amount for me until the case is clear and a decision is made. But they still go through the merchant and ask for all the paperwork etc.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

After firing dozen of nasty emails to CBR, finally a resident manager not even the GM have the courtesy to call me to discuss about a "solution". He lied that they were trying to call me a week earlier to notify of the buyout which is not true. I only find out through my virtuoso agent. I wanted to be re-accomodated to Soneva Jani but they were full. They suggest O&O or Velaa which I am not fond of. Asking to cover accomdation, full board and round trip sea plane transfer to resort , and the manager said I was asking too much , am I really?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by silverlim
After firing dozen of nasty emails to CBR, finally a resident manager not even the GM have the courtesy to call me to discuss about a "solution". He lied that they were trying to call me a week earlier to notify of the buyout which is not true. I only find out through my virtuoso agent. I wanted to be re-accomodated to Soneva Jani but they were full. They suggest O&O or Velaa which I am not fond of. Asking to cover accomdation, full board and round trip sea plane transfer to resort , and the manager said I was asking too much , am I really?
No you're not asking too much. What is the GM doing? Lounging around?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

get exact details direct from soneva jani management to clarify/confirm

you asked for refund and all expenses, or all expenses and no refund?
"They suggest O&O or Velaa" - did they make an offer re those?

sometimes incompetence rather than lies, but lies/etc not uncommon

you only heard from agent? did hotel have your contact info? had you communicated with hotel about stay?

can agents comment on whether to ask how many guests impacted and how theyre handling?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
get exact details direct from soneva jani management to clarify/confirm
^

Out of curiosity, I checked Soneva Jani.

Availability appears wide open except for September 7. All other nights are available, often even entry-level accommodation.

As Kage said, contact management directly: They often don't release all inventory. That night may be available after all.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

scented, in past what have you heard in terms of offers, in terms of refund plus, or plus instead of refund, etc. cant recall if you were one who had adjusted dates at aman's request?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

We were told on the phone by the resident manager that Sept 10 is full in Soneva Jani, the rest of our date is available. I have asked my travel agent to check as well.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You spent and did a lot to go to their resort. Never easy going to the Maldives. I'm shocked they wouldn't reciprocate.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:27 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Chevel Blanc is the type of place where you have to wear a tuxedo. You may find other Maldives resorts to be more enjoyable since they'd be less stuffy. 7 nights is a long time at one of these places, so I would consider splitting up both Soneva resorts.

Bear in mind that a lot of these resorts are owned by the same people, the GM's know each other and many of the staff are friends/family with other staff at other resorts. I'm of the opinion that the service will be nearly equally superb (as it was when we went to the two COMO resorts) across many of the resorts.

Use that 50% coupon for the festive season next year and book four rooms. I'm sure a few of us might be willing to jump on that offer!

Sorry for the headache, and I understand the anticipation you had given their beautiful rooms, but this might be a nice miss considering the service you've already received.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HPL owns como, FS, gili, laamu
soneva got investor, unsure re jani
most vary, including anantara
jumeirah sold one of theirs

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:34 am

We were told on the phone by the resident manager that Sept 10 is full in Soneva Jani, the rest of our date is available. I have asked my travel agent to check as well.
Don't settle for anything less then Jani, its the only comparable hotel to CBR in the Maldives.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:36 am

It doesn't really matter if he called you a week earlier or not. I still think that 3 weeks before a trip is not acceptable. Given their behaviour so far it may be necessary to be very direct.

Have you asked him why they decided to walk you? It will make it very uncomfortable for him to admit they're doing it for financial reasons. Secondly, it will also introduce into the conversation that you know the resort is being handsomely remunerated for doing so which then gives you leverage to expect compensation commensurate to the level of inconvenience. If they believe that terminating a contract at this very late stage is only going to result in them having to return what they've already taken then they're very naive. What is more likely the case is that they're testing to see whether you will accept their offer without much fuss. Some people probably would.

Make it clear that should they fail to resolve the situation adequately that your next steps will be:
1) To complain directly to corporate
2) To inform your credit card company of the situation
3) Share this information including emails and details of conversations with the media
4) Raise the issue at a very high level with Virtuoso
5) That you will share your experience of the property very widely within the luxury travel community

It then depends on how forward thinking the GM is and whether he's willing to damage the resort's reputation when the problem can be made to go away by adequately compensating you.

Good luck.
susanc, RCyyz and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.