Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when they refund, prepaid/wire is no different from not prepaid

you may have missed this happening at many luxury properties
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when they refund, prepaid/wire is no different from not prepaid
When they refund the pre-paid amount and whatever damages are involved (non-refundable airfare), they still leave the customer screwed in order to simply profit from a richer customer. That behavior simply turns a hotel room or suite into an auction inventory. That is not behavior or a pattern anyone wants to see advanced.
susanc likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but there is no law/caselaw..

FS washington was bought out by saudi king for 3 days

curious how many CBR guests were impacted
and if cheval blanc doesnt have procedures for this
also whether cheval blanc owns maldives/courchevel

has OP heard from GM, or just staff

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have a good Virtuoso agent, let them handle the negotiations. Trying to do it yourself will just add to the stress.

OTOH you might want to explore whether there's a nearby "comparable" property that you would accept under the right conditions, including Virtuoso type benefits paid by CBR if the new place doesn't have similar Virtuoso benefits.
THIS.

Only when your agent has exhausted all possibilities then you should go to corporate, the press, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
but there is no law/caselaw..

FS washington was bought out by saudi king for 3 days

curious how many CBR guests were impacted
and if cheval blanc doesnt have procedures for this
also whether cheval blanc owns maldives/courchevel
First, there rarely is case law until someone presses the issue. So that isn't a factor to dissuade me. When there are other buyouts, good hotels make good deals for their customers. Hell, when the IC Thalasso had air con problems, it put guests up at the Brando! That was impressive service. This is not.

Second, I agree with others about letting the Virtuoso agent first make attempts to resolve the situation before working on corporate or the media. But not too much time, or else the OP's options become more limited.

Third, there was no precedent really for properly removing an airline passenger from an aircraft until United Airlines did it...horribly. Then the public and media shaming was swift and furious. Perhaps CBR needs a reminder of that.

Regardless, I'll now never consider a stay with CBR. I really feel for the OP (assuming all factors are as stated).
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not all agents do it. GM then up, not press.

the idea that this has never happened before is..
some might accept offer equaling free nights
not sure how to factor specials into offer made

some here have changed dates for aman stays

regardless of details, poor communication from CBR

Renato W. Chizzola still GM as of 2 weeks ago

in light of thread - sigh at >
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=Ren...pmFfw-IJGm6MEE
according to Chizzola. “For us, this attitude of kindness must permeate every aspect of the maison experience, so that guests feel genuinely cared for at every point throughout their stay. This is the ultimate form of elegance,” he said.
could watch TA to see if others post about it there
tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g6697246-d4361946-Reviews-Cheval_Blanc_Randheli-Randheli_Island.html

agents here could comment on how hotels handle

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by silverlim
We have a fully prepaid upcoming stay in Cheval Blanc Randheli Maldives in September 2017, which we have booked 3 month earlier. We have also booked a non changeable business class flight to Maldives as well from toronto.

In less than two weeks, we were told by CBR that they are cancelling our stay because someone else has buy out the whole resort. Anyone experience anything like this before , and we are talking about CBR which is supposed to be the ultra luxury resort How can they do that.

We are super furious and we are not getting any compensation from CBR!!!.
I know it's fustrating and it certainly would make anyone angry about it. But relax. There are many many other resorts of a similar quality to choose from. Don't let this episode spoil your holiday.

You can still have a good holiday. Make sure they refund you for your payment made for the accomodations and check out other options.

You have a right to be super pissed about it but from my experience, these things will linger in your mind and will spoil your entire week...so, select another resort and move on. But do shoot in a complaint and don't forget to leave a negative review of the resort on tripadvisor.com to warn other potential customers what this resort did and how unethical it was for them also not to offer you compensation.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
No, it's not.

Why not? moneys were already exchanged. There are clear damages.

https://www.americanbar.org/newslett...ex/miller.html

This post should help move things along, but at a minimum, if the tickets were booked AFTER the hotel was confirmed and moneys were exchanged, all expenses + fees are due back to the OP. This is at a very minimum, factor in time, aggravation, etc.

If the OP has clear emails from CBR not honoring a walk to a similar property, OP wins.

Comes down now to how well the poster documents all emails . He should post some here :-)
Aventine and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by silverlim
We have a fully prepaid upcoming stay in Cheval Blanc Randheli Maldives in September 2017, which we have booked 3 month earlier. We have also booked a non changeable business class flight to Maldives as well from toronto.

In less than two weeks, we were told by CBR that they are cancelling our stay because someone else has buy out the whole resort. Anyone experience anything like this before , and we are talking about CBR which is supposed to be the ultra luxury resort How can they do that.

We are super furious and we are not getting any compensation from CBR!!!.
I am terribly sorry this happened to you...

I have considered a stay at Cheval Blanc Randheli this December, but this episode now makes me think twice about going. The message is very, very clear: They don't care about the individual leisure guest. The only thing they care about is additional revenue. They should have offered other options, such as One and Only or their own Owner Island -- although this would be difficult in reality.

Legal perspectives aside, you should try to have this sorted. Only deal with GM or higher. I would contact HQ, as it is likely that GM signed this off. If that doesn't work (and only then) I would spread the word, because that hurts them the most. The damage here already exceeds 100k, as many have considered CBR. You could also contact Albert Herrera at Virtuoso.

There is a certain arrogance about this, which I find very confusing. The first deal they could get was good enough, and all other guests are just collateral damage at this point. Not exactly the elegance the GM likes to talk about..
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I guess this is the kind of stroke Jay Z really has!

In all seriousness that's BS though, if/when they allow this kind of booking, anyone it conflicts with should at minimum be refunded and re-acommodated at a similar place without cost. The costs of that don't even need to be absorbed by the resort, just build that charge into the already ridiculous amount the Jigga Man is paying.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:22 am

I think that what CBR have done is quite appalling though I would stop short of calling it fraudulent. 50% off on their Best Available is a nice card to play when (if) you choose to return in the future. My immediate advice would be to insist on contact from the GM Renato Chizzola - make known your unhappiness at being walked and ask him to contact the GM at One&Only, Jean-Luc Naret, who he knows very well. Make sure he asks him to take good care of you and your booking. One&Only have just finished a programme of refurbishment and I feel certain having stayed many times that you would like Reethi Rah. I know this doesn't make up for the disappointment of plans made and broken (and probably you've looked forward to for months) but it is a resolution which will reduce your stress levels and the Reethi Rah is an amazing resort. Also, and I'm sure you've already done this, but I'd want the 50% off Best Available in writing and open ended.

Does anybody have clarity over the protection afforded by booking via a credit card in these circumstances?
RCyyz and Aventine like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:30 am

Sorry, but I agree with bhrubin here. This is utterly unacceptable.

First, there are not that many resorts comparable to CBR. Other than 3-5 others that one could argue are comparable, everything else is a big step down. Next, there might not be availability at those other properties this late in the game, on the exact same days the OPs will be in the Maldives.

bhrubin is 100% on point--bare minimum here would be to refund the entire trip, plus the full cost of the business class flights. Then if they ever want to get the OP's business again (or the business of any of us who are reading about this on flyertalk) then they really should arrange for them to go elsewhere (as the IC Thalasso did).

If this is true, as the OP reported, and not rectified by CBR, then add me to the list of people who were planning to go there in the near-term but will now look elsewhere.
Aventine and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Removing CBR from consideration for our next Maldives trip. This really irks me.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by nmuva98
Sorry, but I agree with bhrubin here. This is utterly unacceptable.

First, there are not that many resorts comparable to CBR. Other than 3-5 others that one could argue are comparable, everything else is a big step down. Next, there might not be availability at those other properties this late in the game, on the exact same days the OPs will be in the Maldives.

bhrubin is 100% on point--bare minimum here would be to refund the entire trip, plus the full cost of the business class flights. Then if they ever want to get the OP's business again (or the business of any of us who are reading about this on flyertalk) then they really should arrange for them to go elsewhere (as the IC Thalasso did).

If this is true, as the OP reported, and not rectified by CBR, then add me to the list of people who were planning to go there in the near-term but will now look elsewhere.
September is low season in the maldives, you will find rooms everywhere.
Id take them up on their 50% discount on the next stay and book it in high season (when the weather is nice and rates ridiculous).
Book Reethi Rah instead, its a great resort and saves you a plane ride (40 min boat ride from airport).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
No, it's not.
Have to agree as I guess you got your money back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.