Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Pretty solid outcome I think. Not a fantastic outcome but an acceptable one. Perhaps the VIP treatment during the four days will blow you away who knows.

Sometimes on holiday you just need to chill and relax and not get worked up over things.

If the final outcome is 11 nights for the price of 1 I would take that and look forward to enjoying what should be an amazing vacation.
Pierre&Cédric and Aventine like this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:05 am

Even though their initial response was appalling, I would be absolutely delighted with what their offer is. In fact, right now I would be hunting for another holiday to go on with the savings.

I booked Cheval Blanc (and Velaa) for December last year, but decided to go back to SE Asia instead, so it is a property I've kept on my list.

If I were traveling to Iniala and I found myself in a similar situation, I would be beyond livid, as the alternatives of Amapuri and Trisara do not appeal; similarly, if I were at North Island then Fregate or Six Senses would not suffice. However, the Maldives is probably the one area I would not be so bothered were this to happen. I appreciate the effort that often goes into choosing properties, but I feel in the Maldives, better than anywhere else on earth, there are so many top-end luxury resorts available that your alternatives are considerable. It is the most difficult place on earth to choose, as there are so many. So were I you, I'd be celebrating right now. Of course, you chose 11 nights and must have your reasons for that, so I doubt you are wanting to move around, but hopefully the massive saving compensates for that.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Glad to hear the outcome is good and the OP's problems are solved. This could have been very very nasty for the hotel if they weren't honest about this problem.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by silverlim
Thanks for all the support. You guys have been helping us to stay mentally strong while going this ordeal. Shout out to HKTravller, bhrubin, scented, mike la jolla for standing on my side. Many thanks for the advice given.

As of now, through the fight of my virtuoso agent, the "final" offer from CBR which i have not agreed upon, is as below
1) Refund prepayment less 1 night
2) 7 night stay in either Velaa or Jani or both depending on the villa availability ( but doesn't cover full board)
3) All transfer including seaplane to and from Male airport and between resort
4) 4 night stay in CBR for the remaining night, with VIP treatment ( no mention what specific perks or addition treatment we get)

I still think we are under compensated especially we still have to pay for 1 night out of this ordeal, what irks me the most , is they wouldn't cover full board during our stay in CBR/Velaa/Jani, which likely run up higher than a 1 night cost in CBR

Can we keep pushing higher? Still no phone call or email from the GM, all we have been dealing with is still the resident manager.
Undercompensated? Seriously?
You are nuts!
Take the deal and run like hell. Jesus christ some people are greedy, I would NOT want you as a guest. Ever.

And i dont see any reason for them to pay you full board, why? None of these Resorts are full board and you did not book full board. Period.
Other than that you save 3000 Euros in Seaplane transfers atleast.

Last edited by Michael82; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:48 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Serious question.

Has anybody on flyertalk ever received compensation for anything that comes remotely close to this? The value of what CBR are offering is c. $40k right?

Trans Asia paid less than this ($38k) to families of people killed in the crash of flight 235.

I understand the disappointment with the initial handling of the situation but I think that this offer is more than adequate.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
This is a great deal. Take it, enjoy your vacation and never visit CBR again. That's what I would have done.

CBR should not be sending weak compensation offers when they have a situation like this and than negotiate with the customer, finally offering what I would consider more than fair compensation.

If you claim to be one of the best hotels in the world, sell your rooms for 30-40k weekly, and decide to do this to one of your customers you should directly offer them such good compensation that the customer is more than happy to take it right on the spot.

The "professional" way to handle this would be to refuse the buy-out in the first place, because there is less than a month and it would be a huge logistical problem for the customers, like the case here. But if you are going to be greedy and sell the whole place out to some prince you better make sure your other rich and very important clients don't get upset with you.
nmuva98, epitopeX and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Sorry for not being clear
1) Full refund of the prepaynment we paid
2) CBR will cover 7 night accomodation only in (Velaa or Jani or both depending villa availability)
3)4 night in CBR, and they are charging only for 1 night
4) Transfer cost between airport-resort-airport is covered by CBR
That's a good offer and compensation. Take it and don't look back.

To complain or demand more would be really really pushing it and would likely be a little bit insulting.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Aventine
I guess Cheval Blanc Randheli Maldives is only 91% luxury if that's their refund offer.
Love this!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:42 am

As of now, through the fight of my virtuoso agent, the "final" offer from CBR which i have not agreed upon, is as below
1) Refund prepayment less 1 night
2) 7 night stay in either Velaa or Jani or both depending on the villa availability ( but doesn't cover full board)
3) All transfer including seaplane to and from Male airport and between resort
4) 4 night stay in CBR for the remaining night, with VIP treatment ( no mention what specific perks or addition treatment we get)

Can we keep pushing higher? Still no phone call or email from the GM, all we have been dealing with is still the resident manager.
Agree with those who point out CBR charging for one night (also, at what rate?) seems quire cheap and petty considering the major service recovery circumstances. But still no formal apology from the GM acknowledging their terrible handling of the situation, which is what I'd be looking for.

The fact that such a communication and apology from the GM has not been forthcoming is one of the most damning aspects of this whole thing for CBR. It sounds like this has still not been addressed which is kind of astonishing. Have you been able to get in touch with the GM directly?

@silverlim I hope despite all this that you have an AMAZING vacation. Try to let the the pre-story slip away from your mind when you get on the plane to Male or you first dip your toes in that crystal clear water
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

following is attempt to summarize communication problems, some of which may involve travel agent and or miscommunication, but clearly not solely on the part of OP.

one specific question re communication is: was OP forwarded anything from agent where it was not the entire email that the agent had received from hotel.

...fully prepaid...
...not getting any compensation...
...They just ask us to reschedule our dates...50% off regular rate...

...have my agent fighting hard with them as I book through virtuoso...
"50% off" would mean a refund >
A - 100%
B - 100% minus new booking at 50% off

...No reply from CBR or the GM himself for the past 12hrs. They didn't mention a refund on their last reply...
...through the fight of my virtuoso agent...

...Still no phone call or email from the GM, all we have been dealing with is still the resident manager...
1) Full refund of the prepaynment we paid
2) CBR will cover 7 night accomodation only in (Velaa or Jani or both depending villa availability)
3)4 night in CBR, and they are charging only for 1 night
4) Transfer cost between airport-resort-airport is covered by CBR
Our initial stay is 11 night all in CBR, the person who buy out CBR stay till Sept 16, so we could return to stay in CBR from 17th onward, so the first 7 night in either Jani/Velaa
that specifically was not communicated to OP.

while hotel likely does not pay other hotels rack rates, OP's situation in maldives is somewhat different compared to say aman indonesia, if that was one of examples given by others here. aman indonesia are all owned by aman, and costs are lower.

Renato W Chizzola was GM as of 2 weeks ago
hotel is only 45 rooms, and this is low season
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wolf72

To complain or demand more would be really really pushing it and would likely be a little bit insulting.
Their original offer was much more than a little bit insulting.
nmuva98 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Their original offer was much more than a little bit insulting.
50% off reschedule is not "insulting" (better than one example here) but initial communication can be: not clear re refund, not other options (vs reschedule) and not getting apology for inconvenience from GM/etc.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 30, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
following is attempt to summarize communication problems, some of which may involve travel agent and or miscommunication, but clearly not solely on the part of OP.

one specific question re communication is: was OP forwarded anything from agent where it was not the entire email that the agent had received from hotel.

"50% off" would mean a refund >
A - 100%
B - 100% minus new booking at 50% off

that specifically was not communicated to OP.

while hotel likely does not pay other hotels rack rates, OP's situation in maldives is somewhat different compared to say aman indonesia, if that was one of examples given by others here. aman indonesia are all owned by aman, and costs are lower.

Renato W Chizzola was GM as of 2 weeks ago
hotel is only 45 rooms, and this is low season
Quite a few decent hotels to choose from in Maldives , no need to even consider staying here for us .

The 5 AmanIndo have different owners . That ' s why things move at somewhat different pace at each too
Costs thankfully are lower . With an exception though , it is a logistical pain moving things to Wana & getting others to be based there if not from nearby islands ..
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michael82
Undercompensated? Seriously?
You are nuts!
Take the deal and run like hell. Jesus christ some people are greedy, I would NOT want you as a guest. Ever.

And i dont see any reason for them to pay you full board, why? None of these Rehsorts are full board and you did not book full board. Period.
Other than that you save 3000 Euros in Seaplane transfers atleast.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by wolf72

I must say I agree, on all of the above points. If I understand correctly what is being offered this is very generous indeed.

Coming across as overly demanding can easily backfire. CBR has said VIP treatment during the stay, I would just take the offer and perhaps be pleasantly surprised. Ending up at Soneva Jani is not exactly a hardship. I would ideally avoid Velaa, but wouldn't exactly spit on it if it were offered as a complimentary stay.

Prepaying for an hotel reservation does not constitute a legally binding entitlement to accommodation at that hotel. The hotel can cancel if refund or an alternative accommodation is offered. The hotel is not required to offer anything beyond a refund. What has been offered is more than generous, in my opinion.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by jonjparr
It doesn't really matter if he called you a week earlier or not. I still think that 3 weeks before a trip is not acceptable. Given their behaviour so far it may be necessary to be very direct.

Have you asked him why they decided to walk you? It will make it very uncomfortable for him to admit they're doing it for financial reasons. Secondly, it will also introduce into the conversation that you know the resort is being handsomely remunerated for doing so which then gives you leverage to expect compensation commensurate to the level of inconvenience. If they believe that terminating a contract at this very late stage is only going to result in them having to return what they've already taken then they're very naive. What is more likely the case is that they're testing to see whether you will accept their offer without much fuss. Some people probably would.

Make it clear that should they fail to resolve the situation adequately that your next steps will be:
1) To complain directly to corporate
2) To inform your credit card company of the situation
3) Share this information including emails and details of conversations with the media
4) Raise the issue at a very high level with Virtuoso
5) That you will share your experience of the property very widely within the luxury travel community

It then depends on how forward thinking the GM is and whether he's willing to damage the resort's reputation when the problem can be made to go away by adequately compensating you.

Good luck.
I've never heard of any hotels done that before, and would never imagine CBR doing that, this is ridiculous!
So sorry to hear about OP's experience, remove CBR from my Maldives list too!

Also, completely agree with the steps to take here! Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.