Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southeast Asia in November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Southeast Asia in November

I am hoping the experts here could provide some input as I'm having a strangely hard time figuring out what to pair with Amansara in November. Ideally a 4 day beach destination, but I am also open to a jungle/hiking luxury resort.

I took advantage of a cheap QR sale earlier this year so flights are booked in and out of SIN. Otherwise I would have just done Maldives. Also, I was in Chiangmai and Puri in April and did Jiwo/Kila a couple years ago.

Amanoi – This was my first thought, but seems like it will be too windy to enjoy the area.

Six Senses Con Dao – Under consideration but appears we will miss turtle hatching season, which would have been a big draw.

Song Saa – Most convenient option from REP, but reviews here have been poor.

Langkawi – There aren’t a lot of Langkawi posts on the forum. Any thoughts on the new Ritz, St. Regis or FS?

Soneva Kiri - could be a very good option. Waiting to hear what the flight schedule from REP is.

Alila Koh Russey - doesn't look like it will be open

Amantaka - reviews aren't great and I just can't see the morning monk walk being an authentic experience.

Bawah - Would have been a good option, depending on November weather, but I would lose a day getting there.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thoughts on these options? Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not amanpulo because of the connection?

FS langkawi discussion here is less recent

interesting bawah opened jul 31, 35 villas

bhutan? como paro has pool/villas, plus >
Spring 2017, Amankora Punakha...will welcome an outdoor swimming pool. Heated for year-round use, the infinity-edged pool
wonder re six senses (mark swinton)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 19, 2017 at 4:50 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Think N'oi weather should be alright then .

When in November ?

Winds pick up more in Dec .

We thoroughly enjoyed Pulo in November .
Or Nusa / Wana

Since flying through SIN , if weather changes nearer your trip , you can reroute to any Amans in Asia including Wella !

Non beach :

Kora ' s pool open by November too & possibly more reasonably priced helicopter excursions

Bhutan SS should be open by then , with Mark S at the helm all will be well

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 19, 2017 at 5:38 pm Reason: Add information
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:23 pm

Maybe Hoi An? There's a direct flight from REP to DAD and DAD to SIN so that would work fairly well. If beach the Nam Hai, If Hoi An town a suite at the McGallery Royal Hoi An.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:44 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:29 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
We enjoyed our stay at the Datai as well. Weather should be allright on western side of the Malay Peninsula in November. We had 5 days of glorious sun shine while at Langkawi. Similar weather should prevail in Phuket area (Trisara/Amanpuri).
Six Senses Condao on the other hand might be risky weatherwise. During our stay there in november, the weather was cloudy and windy throughout our stay. Wonderful property though.

Last edited by teme; Aug 20, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by r0llerman
I am hoping the experts here could provide some input as I'm having a strangely hard time figuring out what to pair with Amansara in November. Ideally a 4 day beach destination, but I am also open to a jungle/hiking luxury resort.

I took advantage of a cheap QR sale earlier this year so flights are booked in and out of SIN. Otherwise I would have just done Maldives. Also, I was in Chiangmai and Puri in April and did Jiwo/Kila a couple years ago.

Amanoi – This was my first thought, but seems like it will be too windy to enjoy the area.

Six Senses Con Dao – Under consideration but appears we will miss turtle hatching season, which would have been a big draw.

Song Saa – Most convenient option from REP, but reviews here have been poor.

Langkawi – There aren’t a lot of Langkawi posts on the forum. Any thoughts on the new Ritz, St. Regis or FS?

Soneva Kiri - could be a very good option. Waiting to hear what the flight schedule from REP is.

Alila Koh Russey - doesn't look like it will be open

Amantaka - reviews aren't great and I just can't see the morning monk walk being an authentic experience.

Bawah - Would have been a good option, depending on November weather, but I would lose a day getting there.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thoughts on these options? Thanks!
Soneva Kiri can arrange charter flights to/from REP. I seem to recall they might have limited scheduled service as well in high season, which is probably what you are referring to.

Failing that, you can always just fly PG to BKK and connect to their scheduled transfer flights. This is of course far less expensive than a charter would be.

Moring alms to monks in Luang Prabang are definitely 100% authentic. It's the local culture in Laos and Thailand.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:39 am

The Gulf of Thailand is very rainy in November and Hoi An and Nha Trang are also at their worst. Phuket should be coming out of the rainy season but still dicey. How about Azerai in Luang Prabang or one of the resorts in Northern Thailand?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by teme
We enjoyed our stay at the Datai as well. Weather should be allright on western side of the Malay Peninsula in November. We had 5 days of glorious sun shine while at Langkawi. Similar weather should prevail in Phuket area (Trisara/Amanpuri).
Datai going into a 9-month long renovation starting September.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:46 am

Soneva Kiri a good idea as that part of the Gulf is much drier than, say, Ko Samui in November.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soneva.com/soneva-kiri/offer/luxurious-flight-service-to-angkor-wat-cambodia/

twice weekly...USD 650 per person each way on a shared flight (maximum of 8 guests)
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Datai going into a 9-month long renovation starting September.
may be available >
villahutandatai.com
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

The trip is in early November. Would be weather at Amnoi potentially be OK? Would it be worth risking the windy weather at Amanoi vs. Kiri where the weather is expected to be good? The REP-> Soneva Kiri flights won't begin until the end of the year, though as MikeFromTokyo said, it's still easy to fly through BKK.

Bhutan is a good suggestion. I will take a look into flight timing/connections. I was thinking I needed a full week for the different resorts, but 4 days could work for two of them.

The Amanpulo flight times and connections just didn't work out well with our set international flights and REP plans.

Last edited by r0llerman; Aug 20, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The trip is in early November. Would be weather at Amnoi potentially be OK? Would it be worth risking the windy weather at Amanoi vs. Kiri where the weather is expected to be good? The REP-> Soneva Kiri flights won't begin until the end of the year, though as MikeFromTokyo said, it's still easy to fly through BKK.

Bhutan is a good suggestion. I will take a look into flight timing/connections. I was thinking I needed a full week for the different resorts, but 4 days could work for two of them.

The Amanpulo flight times and connections just didn't work out well with our set international flights and REP plans.
No'i should be ok .

4 days , preferable 4 nights will be ok but longer would be best , since you are flying quite a distance
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

A few years ago I visited Nha Trang in November and experienced a typhoon. I certainly would not visit that region of Vietnam again at that time of the year. November is the peak time for typhoons along the Vietnamese cost.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:20 pm

...as MikeFromTokyo said, it's still easy to fly through BKK.
That's what I would do. Should be a painless connection, especially if PG flight times align well. Which I suspect they do.

Of course, if money were no object I would charter, but for the difference in price connecting in BKK is a tolerable inconvenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.