Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
We'd love to hear your opinions on this.

We're planning a family birthday party for my son at a city Peninsula. It's going to be a low key thing....pizza and cake in the room followed by a museum. We've booked a mid level suite specifically for the party. However, we're getting a few more positive RSVPs than we expected (happy problem). And we're hoping not to have to pay full price for one of the larger signature suites. Here's what we're thinking of doing.

- Contact GM two weeks before and lay out our past Peninsula stays.
- Explain nature of family party and how helpful staff has been in planning everything.
- Ask GM to give heads up to front desk staff that we would like to view available suite options upon arrival. And ask if they can consider us for any special "walk up" rates.

Does this approach seem good? Or tacky? We're already on an upgraded rate for our current suite, but the upgrades are not allowed after a certain level.

Thanks!

Ericka
I wouldn't bother laying out the past stays (if you stayed at this one hotel then they should already know you're honored guests) but definitely ask if you could use/or pay for a signature suite just for the party. Are you using a Pen Club or Virtuoso agent? You might just get upgraded into a signature suite for this special occasion.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We'd love to hear your opinions on this.

We're planning a family birthday party for my son at a city Peninsula. It's going to be a low key thing....pizza and cake in the room followed by a museum. We've booked a mid level suite specifically for the party. However, we're getting a few more positive RSVPs than we expected (happy problem). And we're hoping not to have to pay full price for one of the larger signature suites. Here's what we're thinking of doing.

- Contact GM two weeks before and lay out our past Peninsula stays.
- Explain nature of family party and how helpful staff has been in planning everything.
- Ask GM to give heads up to front desk staff that we would like to view available suite options upon arrival. And ask if they can consider us for any special "walk up" rates.

Does this approach seem good? Or tacky? We're already on an upgraded rate for our current suite, but the upgrades are not allowed after a certain level.

Thanks!

Ericka
I assume you don't want to hold the party in a function room. However, the hotel should be able to arrange living room type furniture and otherwise "style" a reasonably sized function room to resemble a suite. You could ask about suitable space with a fireplace and windows, for instance, and "en suite" restrooms. [Of course, this assumes that the hotel knows about your party plans and is supplying the F&B.]

Depending on how many guests you're having, other hotel guests might not appreciate so many people walking to and from your suite for the party. If the floor requires key card access, this will be inconvenient for you, although it will be somewhat inconvenient to communicate your room number to your guests, assuming that your specific suite isn't assigned and "hard blocked" in advance.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MSPeconomist, hotels market large suites for events/meetings
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:06 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Sorry for hijacking your thread, KatW!

So basically, it sounds like everyone agrees it WOULD be appropriate to reach out to the GM ahead of time. Your suggestions are good ones. Thanks.

To answer your questions...
- Pen Club booking, but already requested upgrades/reduced rates through sales mgr. The mid level suite we are in now is the highest level they allow for upgrades, at least ahead of time.
- Getting beverages, cake, and balloons from hotel. Special pizza is being catered in.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

I might contact the GM in that case, unless I already had a contact at the hotel I preferred to deal with. I would not "lay out" past stays because A) a good Peninsula GM should already be aware and B) it's not particularly relevant.

Negotiation is very personal, but in most cases when I do negotiate upsell it is very shortly before arrival. I find that expressing too much interest, too early on might lead to a higher price being offered, whereas if it really is a last minute upgrade into a suite that will otherwise go empty, one can really end up with a good deal...

But, then again, I typically do not need upgrades, but simply want them if offered at an attractive price. If having a large suite will really make or break this birthday party, then your outlined strategy makes a lot of sense.

In any case, if a larger suite is available, and you agree on a mutually acceptable price with the hotel, then I think any good hotel - and certainly a Peninsula - should rise to the occasion and help make your son's special occasion a bit more special if they can.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 17, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:14 pm

Gosh, I could never mention the possibility of a good review. Not my style. LOL.
We've never been to this particular property but have been to many other Peninsulas around the world. Maybe that is still worth mentioning as a quick way of introduction.

Anyway, back to Kat's topic....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Kat OK with detours, I usually learn something.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:35 pm

Gosh, I could never mention the possibility of a good review. Not my style. LOL.
We've never been to this particular property but have been to many other Peninsulas around the world. Maybe that is still worth mentioning as a quick way of introduction.

Anyway, back to Kat's topic....
I wasn't suggesting explicitly mentioning that, perhaps what I said came out wrong. Anyway it's certainly not my style either. I hope your are able to negotiate a good rate on a nice suite.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Sorry for hijacking your thread, KatW!

So basically, it sounds like everyone agrees it WOULD be appropriate to reach out to the GM ahead of time. Your suggestions are good ones. Thanks.

To answer your questions...
- Pen Club booking, but already requested upgrades/reduced rates through sales mgr. The mid level suite we are in now is the highest level they allow for upgrades, at least ahead of time.
- Getting beverages, cake, and balloons from hotel. Special pizza is being catered in.
How long more before your party ?

Do write to the GM . Don ' t think you need to wait for 2 weeks prior !
Who do you usually communicate with at Pens ?

Know other Pen GMs ?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
It can get COLD at RC Kyoto. A very modern HVAC system.
Stayed in April , liked how comfortable we were

Must get other hotels to have similar system
Perhaps I should check with GMs , etcetera of other hotels @:-) to let them know how wonderful RC Kyoto ' s is , perhaps after I check " model " in November .
If the structure allows it - doubt TUH can but the standalone MOs can
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
How long more before your party ?

Do write to the GM . Don ' t think you need to wait for 2 weeks prior !
Who do you usually communicate with at Pens ?

Know other Pen GMs ?
6 weeks before party.
Good thought on other Pen GMs, but we usually just book through DavidO.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Erica, maybe even see if they have a small function space you could use for a few hours.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Erica, maybe even see if they have a small function space you could use for a few hours.
Looked into this early on.
A) The 4-figure minimum F&B spend didn't make sense when we had pretty much already decided on the specialty pizza (outside catering).
B) The room offered was a sad, windowless one.
C) For the money, a suite would offer us a nicer atmosphere...and a nicer place to stay.

I'm not worried about it so much as I just want to know what my options are.

Last edited by Ericka; Aug 17, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:38 pm

6 weeks before party.
Well , I have sometimes spoken with GMs , usually at Amans , about my / our travel plans & some have offered to connect me with their friends from the industry / other hotels
This has been much appreciated and sometimes received upgrades or at least some other help when we check in or even pre - arrival .

Perhaps think through who you can get some suggestions from
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

6 weeks before party.
I'm sure his agency is big enough to pull some strings with the property.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Stayed in April , liked how comfortable we were

Must get other hotels to have similar system
Perhaps I should check with GMs , etcetera of other hotels @:-) to let them know how wonderful RC Kyoto ' s is , perhaps after I check " model " in November .
If the structure allows it - doubt TUH can but the standalone MOs can
You might want to write to prospective owners on that one . GMs don't choose the HVAC systems. They just have to live with what was put in eg. PH Seoul.
Sometimes, a lot of HVAC issues have to do with room and vent design as well as the chosen unit. Some architects just go for show and don't consider real life usage when they put the vents in. Four Seasons Seoul has some beautiful suites but not enough vents. Just one above the door and that's supposed to cover a 25+ square meter bedroom and bathroom? Not with floor to ceiling windows all around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.