Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mini Trip Report: The Point (Saranac Lake, NY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

THE POINT

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

THE POINT

222 Beaverwood Rd Saranac Lake, NY US 12983

Mini Trip Report: The Point (Saranac Lake, NY) (15 Photos)

THE POINT

We’re just back from a brief stay at The Point. It was a wonderful, all inclusive getaway that gave us lots to compare to Twin Farms and Lake Placid Lodge.

We booked through DavidO and while the property is not Virtuoso, David tried to secure us a time of arrival upgrade. The room that we were hoping to upgrade into was still available two days before our arrival, but unfortunately not available when we arrived and nothing else was offered. So, don’t expect much in the way of upgrades for a first time stay. 

Entrance
P1070385.JPG

Brief Impressions

What follows are some brief impressions.

Algonquin Room - A smaller room, yet big enough to support a sitting area, log fire, claw footed tub, and oversized rainforest shower. Warmly decorated.

Upper Saranac Lake - Beautiful, but probably not quite as upscale as Lake Placid. The great camps are older, think late 1800s.

Service - Bespoke. Whatever, wherever. And relaxed, like Twin Farms. It seemed like everyone on property was empowered to make arrangements for us.

Activities - Because of the lake, there was more to do than at Twin Farms. We hiked the blue trail to a private lunch at the rustic Camp David cabin, toured the lake in an elegant Hacker Craft, and took the adorable mahogany electric boats out for a morning loon safari. The Point at The Point also provided a spectacular location for a lunch picnic.

Dining - For dinner, it was communal or private, our choice. We were tired, so we chose a private early dinner on the main lodge terrace. The food and wine pairings were excellent throughout our stay. Wines included a Pol Roger Champagne, Barossa Shiraz, an Arista Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay, a Chateau Beychevelle Cabernet Blend, and a Sancerre Cote de Reigny Domaine Sautereau.

Enjoy the pictures! And feel free to ask questions. We had a great stay, and will likely go back.

Main Lodge
P1070398.JPG

Main Lodge Terrace
P1070376.JPG

The Point at the Point
P1070543.JPG

Algonquin Room
P1070361.JPG

Algonquin Bathroom
P1070356.JPG

Loon
P1070471.JPG

Details
P1070370.JPG

Butter
P1070425.JPG

Details
P1070437.JPG

Scallops
P1070430.JPG

Hacker-Craft
P1070540.JPG

Chicken
P1070434.JPG

Foggy Morning
P1070446.JPG

Small Electric Boat
P1070541.JPG

Would you like to write a review on the THE POINT?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did they suggest any other potential locations for your dinner?

great to hear, yet another great report especially terrace photo!
for upgrades at some properties i wonder re booking when nearby.
location seems combinable with lake placid, twin farms / pitcher inn.

Originally Posted by Ericka
Service - Bespoke. Whatever, wherever. And relaxed, like Twin Farms. It seemed like everyone on property was empowered to make arrangements

private lunch at the rustic Camp David cabin

The Point at The Point also provided a spectacular location for a lunch picnic

private early dinner on the main lodge terrace
no public dining + few rooms + land = great potential for privacy.
wish there were some more like it closer to home (vs NZ, AU, etc)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
did they suggest any other potential locations for your dinner?

great to hear, yet another great report especially terrace photo!
for upgrades at some properties i wonder re booking when nearby.
location seems combinable with lake placid, twin farms / pitcher inn.
did you hear how many rooms were occupied during your stay?

no public dining + few rooms + land = great potential for privacy.
wish there were some more like it closer to home (vs NZ, AU, etc)
We discussed several private dinner locations, but since we wanted to be outside and it was evening, the terrace was the least buggy. Other options were the point at the point, the boathouse dock, another room's deck, etc. They made a point to say they could make anything happen.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
We discussed several private dinner locations, but since we wanted to be outside and it was evening, the terrace was the least buggy. Other options were the point at the point, the boathouse dock, another room's deck, etc. They made a point to say they could make anything happen.
sounds like new owners (2 long-time guests) have kept things running well!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Beautiful pictures.
agreed, as always in Ericka's reports!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Lovely report and photos. We booked a stay back in 1996, and unfortunately had to cancel the trip. We're coming over early Oct and thinking about righting that wrong.... thinking two nights - do you think that's enough?

Not sure what the weather will be like in Oct, but google pretty much shows high teens (c) and a few wet days.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amaroo
Lovely report and photos. We booked a stay back in 1996, and unfortunately had to cancel the trip. We're coming over early Oct and thinking about righting that wrong.... thinking two nights - do you think that's enough?

Not sure what the weather will be like in Oct, but google pretty much shows high teens (c) and a few wet days.
Early October will see the changing of the leaves....red, yellow, orange. It will be one of the most beautiful times to visit. Book early as they might be busy. Two nights is enough if you just want to relax and enjoy the property.
amaroo likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:05 am

October will be an absolutely perfect time to visit. No bugs, beautiful leaves, warmer afternoons, and then bonfires, with lovely big blankets around your shoulders or over your laps.
amaroo likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Your comments made the decision easy for me - just booked for a three night stay

Do you think it's better to drive ... thinking a car might come in handy to get out and about and see some of the area. We'll be driving to The Point from Boston and leaving The Point for NYC.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Member

I've been wanting a respite here. Not easy from SFO. Could fly into Burlington, VT, after which the drive is only 2.5 hours, affordable by limo.

The rooms, as seen/read on the website seem small (other than Boathouse). Is that so? We need a minimum of 750 sqft, preferably more, plus outdoor access (porch, patio, balcony, terrace).

Last edited by KatW; Apr 18, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:03 pm

I think that we stayed in Trapper. There is a possibility that the bed was on a bit higher level than the seating area, so you might want to check on that KatW. Also I think our room was up some stairs behind the bar/pool building. So may sure you check the access. We did have a lovely porch/deck where we had breakfast our first morning.
The Boat House is the most requested and most expensive room. It is often booked a year in advance, especially for the summer.
The Point is really in the middle of no where. For us I think it was 5 hours from our place in Poughkeepsie. It took beyond forever as my husband would say. From Boston you will likely take the Mass Pike, up the Northway and then through the Adirondacks. Going to NYC you will just head back south once you hit the Northway and it later becomes the Thruway.
There is Lake Placid to visit and see where the various events of the Olympics were held. In Saranac Lake the Hotel Saranac was redone, buy someone very wealthy who had come from the area. We have not been there.
In Blue Mountain Lake there is the Adirondack Experience a museum devoted to the Adirondacks.
KatW, Albany airport also might offer car service to The Point.

amaroo likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Thank you, Linlant,

I have checked google maps and most convenient airport is Burlington, VT, from which the drive is only 2.5 hours. From SFO that's a connection through ORD or other midwest airports, thus doable. Which is about the same as Twin Farms but for the shorter drive.

Yes, I know, it is difficult to book the bosthouse. But we are able to book our stay according to availability. How large was Trapper?

It makes sense to combine stays at Twin Farms and The Point, flying in and out of Burlington from SFO.

Speaking of Boathouse, here is another one such at Manka's in Inverness, Point Reyes. Our favorite close-to-home respite.

https://www.designsponge.com/2014/04...alifornia.html

Last edited by KatW; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:23 pm

I tried to book The Boathouse, but no option on the booking page for our dates. Have sent an email to see if it is available or a waitlist option for our dates. Ended up booking Weatherwatch.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Amaroo, Jim and I are retired so, if my plan gels, we would ask our fabulous TA to consult with the venue to determine when there is a three-four-slot night to book. We are infinitely flexible with regard to dates.
LinLant likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Amaroo, Jim and I are retired so, if my plan gels, we would ask our fabulous TA to consult with the venue to determine when there is a three-four-slot night to book. We are infinitely flexible with regard to dates.
Travelling from Australia for this visit - we're definitely in the take what you can get position.

I will say the price doesn't really align with my idea of room luxury - maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

We've done many of the NZ lodges - your $$$ certainly buys more of a WOW factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.