Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Europe (direct flight from LHR) over Labor Day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Europe (direct flight from LHR) over Labor Day?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Belmond La Residencia in Mallorca is one of my favorite hotels in Spain. There are some excellent offers around Labor Day and most are combinable with Belmond Bellini Club or Virtuoso amenities.

They offer a complimentary boat excursion from Soller that's lots of fun, but only certain days of the week in summer. If it's offered one of the days you're there, sign up early. The beach in Deià isn't great, but you can find good beaches around the island. Deià is full of art galleries, shops and locally owned cafes and restaurants. The village is quite an enclave of artists and musicians,
​​​​​
​​​​​Book lunch at Ca's Patro March for lunch one of the days for a great afternoon out on the waterfront. The walk down is a beautiful hike.

Easy flights from LHR.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
Belmond La Residencia in Mallorca is one of my favorite hotels in Spain. There are some excellent offers around Labor Day and most are combinable with Belmond Bellini Club or Virtuoso amenities.

They offer a complimentary boat excursion from Soller that's lots of fun, but only certain days of the week in summer. If it's offered one of the days you're there, sign up early. The beach in Deià isn't great, but you can find good beaches around the island. Deià is full of art galleries, shops and locally owned cafes and restaurants. The village is quite an enclave of artists and musicians,
​​​​​
​​​​​Book lunch at Ca's Patro March for lunch one of the days for a great afternoon out on the waterfront. The walk down is a beautiful hike.

Easy flights from LHR.
thanks! I will look into this.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

It turns out that we can only get direct flights that work with our fixed time VS award flights to and from Nice. Sadly Mallorca flight doesn't work on the return. So, we are still trying to get into the Royal Riviera, but failing that, any preferences among the Barriere in Cannes, the Hyatt in Nice, the Grand Hyatt Martinez, or the Intercontinental in Cannes? Or any others? We would book a FHR stay so we will have breakfast included and Mr Floridagal wants to do some day trips around but if some sightseeing or dining is within walking distance that would be great too. We are only staying for 4-5 nights. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

greece has amanzoe (also aman sveti stefan)
aman is better value vs peak at many hotels

metropole well regarded here, not govt owned
best in south of france is outside cannes/nice

have to talk to hotels themselves (not central) re availability
FHR agent can call them, any US agent can book through FHR

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We have tons of VS miles
can redeem VS miles for >
virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club/partners/virgin-group.html

- Necker Island - says requires VS silver/gold to book now
i enjoyed my stay, but would recommend private dining
takes bookings for aug 26 and sep 6, check sep 2/3/4/5
web reservation system publishes 3 night minimum stay

- Lodge Verbier - high quality, but check occupancy, through sep 24
there is also classical music festival every summer (not labor day)

- Kasbah Tamadot Marrakech
- safaris - kenya & south africa
(those 3 also have reports here / on FT)
- Franschhoek hotel

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 6, 2017 at 3:49 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:12 am

I don't know without googling it when Labor Day is (excuse my ignorance) but if it's during school holiday time in Europe most hotels will have families with kids. The only hotel of those you mention I've stayed at in the South of France is the Carlton in Cannes. Sea views with balconies are great there - I think it was the Grace Kelly Suite that I had earmarked as in the best position. The breakfasts are great and there's a beach club across the road.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I don't know without googling it when Labor Day is .
First Monday (therefore first weekend) in September (therefore useless for going anywhere).
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
...Royal Riviera...
It would be interesting to learn more about this hotel, should you indeed stay with them please let know us about your experiences here on FT.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:27 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member

Does anyone one have any thoughts as to any of these options? I've been to Monte Carlo and am eh about it. We are In our early 30s, no kids yet, and while Mr Floridagal is a fancy watch guy, he is pretty relaxed/casual. I know the French Riviera is glitzy but we just want to walk around, maybe do an beach club for a day or just hang out at our hotel beach club or pool, have some nice late dinners, and take ferries or boats to some nearby islands or towns.

we we don't have hyatt status, only Hilton/spg. Not that it matters with the FHR benefits.
I can recommend some SLH properties at the Cote d'Azur:

1. Chateau Eza in beautfiul Eze (we just had lunch here, but the views are amazing and the hotel looked great)

1.a You mentioned the La Chevre d'Or of Relais&Chateaux, where we just walked by. No doubt, this is a tad better (it has a pool with this great view) and more expensive (and its restaurant has two Michelin stars).

2. A little drive along the coast in between Nice and Cannes lies Juan-les-Pins, Antibes. We stayed in Hotel Juana, but the sister hotel seemed even nicer (we tried their private beach): Hotel Belle Rive

3. In Cannes: the Grand Hotel Cannes. While the 70s style furniture might put you off, it's all new and the location with a garden in front leading to the Croisette is very nice. It also has a beach, much like the Intercontinental you mentioned.

If you are interested in a trip report about those hotels and some tips for dining, see my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...dazur-in-april
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uggboy
It would be interesting to learn more about this hotel, should you indeed stay with them please let know us about your experiences here on FT.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Many thanks. Hoping to get in here but the hotel will only offer us a non refundable rate so when our plans are definite we will try to get in here. Also quite odd reservations keeps telling us no availability but I see availability popping up on the website from time to time. Will keep you posted if we go.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lightwalker
I can recommend some SLH properties at the Cote d'Azur:

1. Chateau Eza in beautfiul Eze (we just had lunch here, but the views are amazing and the hotel looked great)

1.a You mentioned the La Chevre d'Or of Relais&Chateaux, where we just walked by. No doubt, this is a tad better (it has a pool with this great view) and more expensive (and its restaurant has two Michelin stars).

2. A little drive along the coast in between Nice and Cannes lies Juan-les-Pins, Antibes. We stayed in Hotel Juana, but the sister hotel seemed even nicer (we tried their private beach): Hotel Belle Rive

3. In Cannes: the Grand Hotel Cannes. While the 70s style furniture might put you off, it's all new and the location with a garden in front leading to the Croisette is very nice. It also has a beach, much like the Intercontinental you mentioned.

If you are interested in a trip report about those hotels and some tips for dining, see my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...dazur-in-april
Many thanks! Looking into the antibes options!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I don't know without googling it when Labor Day is (excuse my ignorance) but if it's during school holiday time in Europe most hotels will have families with kids. The only hotel of those you mention I've stayed at in the South of France is the Carlton in Cannes. Sea views with balconies are great there - I think it was the Grace Kelly Suite that I had earmarked as in the best position. The breakfasts are great and there's a beach club across the road.
Thanks. This is now the intercontinental.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:09 pm

The Carlton in Cannes has been part of the IC chain for decades. It's the main HQ of the film festival each May and a load of other events. In other words, it's a corporate/coventioneer sort of place and not a luxury hotel in the definition of this Forum. If you're lucky you could hit a quiet time and think it has real Riviera glamour and bump into the ghosts of Cary Grant and Grace Kelly . . .
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ex FS terre blanche has pool villas, also rentals including staffed of residences on property perhaps comparable to hualalai setup
that hotel is one of a FHR's new (unusually large number) france properties in 2016/2017

also discussed here is la reserve ramatuelle, rooms and villas, michelin

cant recall re some other discussion, for example properties like cap estel

relais & chateaux has maps online, may search multiple hotels at once for reservations

carlton-cannes.com/en/our-history/ first bought by IC (Pan Am) in 1982

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 6, 2017 at 4:53 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by uggboy

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
The Royal Riviera was originally redesigned/renovated by Grace Leo Andrieu (now just Grace Leo) and unfortunately, not enough money was spent. They created a new conservatory wing - Villa Orangerie - in the grounds, which became the better option. They have a handkerchief beach - really tiny. The food is OK, but not special. Rooms in the main building are a lot better than they were since the latest refurbishment.

Today, it is a good 4-star but cannot compete with the likes of Grand Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat or la Réserve Ramatuelle, but for this coastline it is not too bad.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:23 pm

Didn't see Hotel Du Cap Eden Roc posted as a suggestion. Might break the bank but IMHO all 5 star properties at the Cote d'Azur are overpriced. I would rather spend 2k here than 1k on a hotel that doesn't offer half the value but that's just my 2 cents. I avoid Europe during Summer, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.