Recommendations for December/Christmas around LA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing

Hi everyone,

Once again I reach out for some suggestions where to stay. This time we are travelling to L.A. around Christmas to visit my in laws. We have been to the city several times but always stayed with them. Really want to spend 3-4 days by ourselves before that (incorporating Christmas day). I do not mind driving 2-3 hours out from L.A or staying in the city limits itself (will obviously go straight from the airport - don't want to even let in-laws know we are there ).

Any suggestions where we can stay are appreciated. We will be travelling with our daughter and really looking for a place to relax, get pampered. Golf not a requirement, spa is fine, beach/ocean views are a plus,but food, service and scenery is most important. Again, really open to suggestions. Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:06 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Montage Laguna always has a big festive program.... lots of decor, activities etc.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Thanks, I will look into that.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Member

https://www.pelicanhill.com/

http://m.terranea.com/
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I love Pelican Hill and it checks off most of your list. My issue with them, and I tell the sales team regularly, is they have spotty service at time. For instance, I was staying at the property (and they know who I am and my affiliation), had a driver pick me up that was arranged by the property, the driver had to be buzzed through the gate, yet when I walked up to the desk (it was late, no other guests around), they didn't know it was me. However, I have had my travelers stay and it was a flawless experience. Everything else is great though.

Montage Laguna is fantastic. It is typically double the cost of PH, so it depends on budget.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe consider someplace nice near Santa Barbara as well?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback of PH...I was looking at it and it seems very nice. Yes, the cost of ML is quite high (it may be just me, but, I usually like paying that pricing when going somewhere exotic/far from home, lol! Also, I would not be going for any of the regular rooms. Need a suite likely).

RichardInSF, definitely open to Santa Barbara, been looking at the places there too. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mumum17
Thanks for the feedback of PH...I was looking at it and it seems very nice. Yes, the cost of ML is quite high (it may be just me, but, I usually like paying that pricing when going somewhere exotic/far from home, lol! Also, I would not be going for any of the regular rooms. Need a suite likely).

RichardInSF, definitely open to Santa Barbara, been looking at the places there too. Any suggestions?
Three good choices. See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...arbara-ca.html
Also see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...francisco.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...opening-3.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Jerry, great threads...there are lot of suggestions. I am very interested in the Belmont in Santa Barb among others...Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Member

I am thinking San Ysidro Ranch for five nights over Christmas, one of the hummingbird cottages. Flying both ways, no car rental, staying put at the ranch.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Jerry, thanks for finding the appropriate threads. The Santa Barbara area offers pleasant, not hot, temperatures, in am attractive setting. It would be a very nice place to spend a few days.

As to the PH, if you're referring to the Park Hyatt Aviara, on my only stay 2-3 years ago, I spent two nights in a large-ish suite, maybe their presidential. Aviara is a good hotel and can be a fine value (but bear in mind at least $70 a night is added to all room rates for resort fee and mandatory valet parking). I do not feel the service is really at the luxury level.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...As to the PH, if you're referring to the Park Hyatt Aviara, on my only stay 2-3 years ago, I spent two nights in a large-ish suite, maybe their presidential. Aviara is a good hotel and can be a fine value (but bear in mind at least $70 a night is added to all room rates for resort fee and mandatory valet parking). I do not feel the service is really at the luxury level.
Sorry, I was actually responding to an earlier post referring Pelican Hill, but thanks for the Park Hyatt update. Actually, I have felt the same way with most Park Hyatts that I have stayed at (by no means extensive, so this is not representative of that brand, just my experience).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Any feedback on Four Seasons at Westlake Village, or RC Laguna Niguel or RC Marina Del Ray?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:16 am

I have stayed multiple times at FS at Westlake Village. It is one of those hotels that we have categorized on this forum as "FS lite." Definitely not up to the standards of the chain in general. Continue on to Santa Barbara!

I've never stayed at RC Laguna Hotel but have dined there several times. It could be a good choice if well priced although now older than most of its competition.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:58 am

I absolutely echo Richard on FSWV, though I find Santa Barbara yawn-inducing, and wildly overpriced for what you get.

I'd rather head further south to Rancho Valencia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.