FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   St. Regis Osaka or Ritz-Carlton Kyoto (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1854076-st-regis-osaka-ritz-carlton-kyoto.html)

Beltway2A Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am

St. Regis Osaka or Ritz-Carlton Kyoto

Hey folks,

I'm planning an upcoming stay at either the St. Regis Osaka or Ritz-Carlton Kyoto. I was originally planning on the StR, but the RC forum seemed to really enjoy the Kyoto property. My experience with luxury hotels is limited though, so I was hoping to hear from folks with some more experience with me. A few notes that may help in your recommendation:

1. I've spent a night at a Ritz-Carlton before (in Atlanta), but I'm completely new to the St. Regis brand.

2. I've got SPG/Marriott Gold. I'll be staying during the peak season, so I don't expect much in terms of elite recognition (and I know I won't get breakfast at either brand as a gold).

3. I know they're in two different cities, but I'm willing to spend more time in transit if it means a superior hotel experience.

If you've been to either or both properties, or otherwise want to add anything, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

HKTraveler Jul 15, 2017 12:00 pm

In that whole area, my personal preference is for the Intercon Osaka. Between these two hotels, answer is it depends. Which city will you spend time in and what are you going to do there? While the two cities are not that far apart, it does take traveling time

Beltway2A Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler (Post 28564081)
In that whole area, my personal preference is for the Intercon Osaka. Between these two hotels, answer is it depends. Which city will you spend time in and what are you going to do there? While the two cities are not that far apart, it does take traveling time

Unfortunately, this is a points redemption, so I'm limited to SPG and Marriott properties. As to activities, I'm keeping the schedule light. The only must-dos are Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi in Osaka, and Fushimi Inari in Kyoto. Otherwise, I'm happy to go with the flow, and check out whatever is practical.

bhrubin Jul 15, 2017 1:39 pm

We will be staying 2 nights at the RC Kyoto (after 5 nights at the SPG Luxury Collection Suiran) AND 3 nights at the StR Osaka in May 2018. (We also have 3 nights first at the SPG Luxury Collection Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo.) Don't know if that's too late to help or not? We are using SPG points for all stays.

If you are trying to get some Japanese culture, I'd have to recommend Kyoto over Osaka. I'm a huge fan of StR, but I also am aware that the RC Kyoto is a particularly celebrated RC property. That being said, the Suiran property may be even more celebrated--and a rarity to be able to stay using points!

Don't be afraid to stay at the Luxury Collection Suiran in Kyoto over the RC Kyoto. That choice should be about whether you prefer a more traditional luxury Western hotel (RC Kyoto) vs a hybrid luxury Western hotel with Japanese luxury ryokan (Suiran).

Beltway2A Jul 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions bhrubin. My stay will be in August 2017, so I'm happy to let you know about my experiences before you go as well.

You make a good point about the Suiran. I'll be heading to Kansai from a ryokan, so I would actually prefer a somewhat Western experience. Suiran's location within Kyoto also isn't particularly appealing to me.

Like you, I've heard that the RC Kyoto is quite celebrated, though I haven't been able to sufficiently figure out why. Service is supposed to be great, though I understand that's the case for all of the properties that you mentioned. Luckily in my case, I was able to secure points reservations at both properties, so I'm fortunate in that I'm deciding which to cancel.

bhrubin Jul 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 28564555)
Thanks for the suggestions bhrubin. My stay will be in August 2017, so I'm happy to let you know about my experiences before you go as well.

You make a good point about the Suiran. I'll be heading to Kansai from a ryokan, so I would actually prefer a somewhat Western experience. Suiran's location within Kyoto also isn't particularly appealing to me.

Like you, I've heard that the RC Kyoto is quite celebrated, though I haven't been able to sufficiently figure out why. Service is supposed to be great, though I understand that's the case for all of the properties that you mentioned. Luckily in my case, I was able to secure points reservations at both properties, so I'm fortunate in that I'm deciding which to cancel.

So go with your gut and enjoy, based on whichever is closest to the sights you most want to see! Having been to both almost 30 years ago, I'm most looking forward to seeing Kyoto and Nara again. But I'm also looking forward to a steak dinner in Kobe and a day trip to Mt. Koya--both of which will be from Osaka, most likely.

I eagerly will look forward to your review of either after you return.

makrom Jul 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 28564088)
Unfortunately, this is a points redemption, so I'm limited to SPG and Marriott properties. As to activities, I'm keeping the schedule light. The only must-dos are Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi in Osaka, and Fushimi Inari in Kyoto. Otherwise, I'm happy to go with the flow, and check out whatever is practical.

Have you also considered the Marriott in Osaka? It's pretty nice, especially if you like to have a view.

bhrubin Jul 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by makrom (Post 28565130)
Have you also considered the Marriott in Osaka? It's pretty nice, especially if you like to have a view.

One would assume if the OP is asking in the Luxury Forum that a Marriott isn't appropriate. Not to mention that a Marriott isn't going to compare with a StR or RC.

Beltway2A Jul 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by makrom (Post 28565130)

Hey makrom, I appreciate the suggestion. I'm usually at Courtyard type properties, and did consider both the Courtyard Shin-Osaka as well as the Marriott, but for this particular trip, I'm looking to try something more luxurious. So, as bhrubin noted, the Marriott isn't being considered at this time.

So go with your gut and enjoy, based on whichever is closest to the sights you most want to see! Having been to both almost 30 years ago, I'm most looking forward to seeing Kyoto and Nara again. But I'm also looking forward to a steak dinner in Kobe and a day trip to Mt. Koya--both of which will be from Osaka, most likely.

I eagerly will look forward to your review of either after you return.
Thanks! I think I'm currently leaning towards the St. Regis. The idea of a butler is intriguing to me, and it's 3,333 (or 10k MR) points cheaper. The praise the RC seems to get got me considering the other option.

bhrubin Jul 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 28565476)
Thanks! I think I'm currently leaning towards the St. Regis. The idea of a butler is intriguing to me, and it's 3,333 (or 10k MR) points cheaper. The praise the RC seems to get got me considering the other option.

We stay at many StR properties, as you can see from my numerous expert reviews herein.

We love butler service, but not everyone gets it. Since you mentioned often staying at Courtyards, I thought I'd offer this basic advice:

(1) Butler service involves a team of butlers. Once you understand that and don't expect a single butler for your stay, it's a better expectation.

(2) I always ask the butlers to unpack and pack for me. I love it, even when I only have a carry on. My husband usually doesn't, as he prefers to pack and unpack on his own...unless he has a lot of luggage!

(3) Don't be afraid to get to know the butlers! We often kid around with them, sometimes click enough to ask them about their families, their job paths, the social scene in the area, highlights of the area, popular items in hotel restaurants or from room service, etc.

(4) Be sure to enjoy daily coffee/tea service (complimentary). It's wonderful. Just call and ask!
(5) Anything else you may like, other than concierge stuff, don't be afraid to ask your butlers. If we've gotten to know any, we might ask for recs for more local restaurants that aren't as often recommended by the concierge, recs for local beaches or stores they recommend that other guests have enjoyed.

Otherwise, having butler service isn't all that different--just a bit more personalized IME, sometimes a lot more personalized. It's like a First Class cabin crew: sometimes they are awesome and you really click and get to know them, and other times they are very good but you don't really click beyond that.

I will tell you that my experience and research suggests that the StR Osaka isn't as amazing among most StR properties worldwide in the same way that the RC Kyoto is supposed to be amazing and among the best RC properties. And I say that as one who loves StR more than RC.

Aventine Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 28564068)
Hey folks,

I'm planning an upcoming stay at either the St. Regis Osaka or Ritz-Carlton Kyoto. I was originally planning on the StR, but the RC forum seemed to really enjoy the Kyoto property. My experience with luxury hotels is limited though, so I was hoping to hear from folks with some more experience with me. A few notes that may help in your recommendation:

1. I've spent a night at a Ritz-Carlton before (in Atlanta), but I'm completely new to the St. Regis brand.

2. I've got SPG/Marriott Gold. I'll be staying during the peak season, so I don't expect much in terms of elite recognition (and I know I won't get breakfast at either brand as a gold).

3. I know they're in two different cities, but I'm willing to spend more time in transit if it means a superior hotel experience.

If you've been to either or both properties, or otherwise want to add anything, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

RC Kyoto blows that StR out of the water. The difference is the Japan experience with StR being in the middle of Osaka. A very urban experience. Meanwhile, RC Kyoto is in a quiet part of Kyoto along the river. Still accessible to the shopping and some tourist sites. The service, facilities and outlets are superior at the RC.

BSBD Jul 16, 2017 5:55 am

I stayed at the St Regis Osaka a few years ago. It was the most enjoyable hotel stay I've ever had. It's right near the big food district in Osaka, which is world class, and very close to the entrance to the shopping arcade, which leads to the legendary Dotonburi. Osaka is my favorite city in Japan - I love the food - it's the same legendary quality as in Tokyo, but cheaper - and the vibe is totally different from Tokyo.

I found the hotels in Kyoto (including the Ritz) to be a bit of a letdown. Kyoto itself is marvelous, but the hotels are generally subpar, even by Japanese standards.

I would choose the StR Osaka.

HKTraveler Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am

Having stayed at both hotels, I can tell you that RC Kyoto Hotel is the more luxurious one with better hardware. Software at both hotels are fine and you can't really go wrong with either. StR Osaka is probably better suited for your though as none of the sights you want to see are in Kyoto. Fushimi Inari shrine is a good 30 mins away from RC Kyoto and if you are not seeing other sights there, I am really not sure why you would stay in Kyoto. Shinsaibashi is an easy 10-15 mins walk from StR Osaka

Beltway2A Jul 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for your input Aventine, BSBD and HKTraveler. From what you've said, it seems like I'll stick with the St. Regis Osaka. Perhaps I'll make a visit to the Kyoto property when I have more to do in Kyoto.

We stay at many StR properties, as you can see from my numerous expert reviews herein.

We love butler service, but not everyone gets it. Since you mentioned often staying at Courtyards, I thought I'd offer this basic advice:

(1) Butler service involves a team of butlers. Once you understand that and don't expect a single butler for your stay, it's a better expectation.

(2) I always ask the butlers to unpack and pack for me. I love it, even when I only have a carry on. My husband usually doesn't, as he prefers to pack and unpack on his own...unless he has a lot of luggage!

(3) Don't be afraid to get to know the butlers! We often kid around with them, sometimes click enough to ask them about their families, their job paths, the social scene in the area, highlights of the area, popular items in hotel restaurants or from room service, etc.

(4) Be sure to enjoy daily coffee/tea service (complimentary). It's wonderful. Just call and ask!
(5) Anything else you may like, other than concierge stuff, don't be afraid to ask your butlers. If we've gotten to know any, we might ask for recs for more local restaurants that aren't as often recommended by the concierge, recs for local beaches or stores they recommend that other guests have enjoyed.

Otherwise, having butler service isn't all that different--just a bit more personalized IME, sometimes a lot more personalized. It's like a First Class cabin crew: sometimes they are awesome and you really click and get to know them, and other times they are very good but you don't really click beyond that.

I will tell you that my experience and research suggests that the StR Osaka isn't as amazing among most StR properties worldwide in the same way that the RC Kyoto is supposed to be amazing and among the best RC properties. And I say that as one who loves StR more than RC.
I appreciate all the help, bhrubin, you've really helped me understand what to expect. I'll do some further reading with your St. Regis reviews. The unpacking and complimentary coffee service sounds wonderful, I'm definitely going to enjoy that.

tcmb99 Jul 16, 2017 11:28 pm

i have stayed in StR in Osaka. It is a great hotel. Room service food was not good at the time, but other than that it was very good.

To give you a comparison I stayed in the train station Hotel Granvia in Kyoto, which is nowhere near the quality of StR but I would still choose anywhere in Kyoto over Osaka. Kyoto has so much culture and so many things to see.

Go with Kyoto, you won't be disappointed.

MSPeconomist Jul 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Osaka is a modern business city but with far fewer international influences than Tokyo. Kyoto in some sense is the historical cultural center of Japan. For a tourist, being in Kyoto is far more interesting, but if you must go to Osaka for business, obviously you would want to stay in Osaka.

I would add that to me, a lot of the advantage of a RC is reserving a club level room if your schedule permits you to make much use of the lounge. Few luxury hotels have lounges but the RC brand is an exception, even though elites generally don't get free access.

bhrubin Jul 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28569132)
Osaka is a modern business city but with far fewer international influences than Tokyo. Kyoto in some sense is the historical cultural center of Japan. For a tourist, being in Kyoto is far more interesting, but if you must go to Osaka for business, obviously you would want to stay in Osaka.

I would add that to me, a lot of the advantage of a RC is reserving a club level room if your schedule permits you to make much use of the lounge. Few luxury hotels have lounges but the RC brand is an exception, even though elites generally don't get free access.

The RC Kyoto doesn't have a club anyway.

JohnRain Jul 17, 2017 2:48 am

I had to make the same decision a few months ago but it was peak Sakura season which meant that all Kyoto luxury properties were going for insane rates.
Ended up staying at the StR Osaka and loved it.
You can find my review here.

5DMarkIIguy Jul 17, 2017 1:34 pm

I stayed at StR Osaka 8 nights straight in one trip and used Osaka as a base for that region. I have been to Kyoto before so there's no need to stay in Kyoto.
What I like most about this hotel location is the Michelin starred restaurants near by. They got us into 5 3-stars and a few 2-stars. We went to 9 restaurants, 5 3-stars and 4 2-stars. It was the food trip of my life.

StR Osaka is an A- city hotel. I wouldn't mind going back again.

Beltway2A Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 28569534)
I had to make the same decision a few months ago but it was peak Sakura season which meant that all Kyoto luxury properties were going for insane rates.
Ended up staying at the StR Osaka and loved it.
You can find my review here.

Thanks for weighing in, JohnRain. I was reading your TR as you went along, and it was a large factor in my choices so far. Unfortunately I wasn't able to score Kyubey reservations while I'm in Tokyo, but I'll have to live vicariously. Thanks for the excellent photos.

Thanks to tcmb99, MSPeconomist and 5DMarkIIguy. The tip about restaurants in the area of the St. Regis is great, I'll have to see what's available during my visit. As to the aspect of being surrounded by culture in Kyoto, I'm looking forward to the experience for a day-trip. I'm glad to know the RC is a strong contender for the next time I'm in the region.

JohnRain Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 28572035)
Thanks for weighing in, JohnRain. I was reading your TR as you went along, and it was a large factor in my choices so far. Unfortunately I wasn't able to score Kyubey reservations while I'm in Tokyo, but I'll have to live vicariously. Thanks for the excellent photos.

Thanks for your kind comment Beltway2A, glad that my TR was useful.
Pity about Kyubey, but there are of course many other great options in Tokyo. Enjoy your trip!

jbeans Jul 20, 2017 12:41 pm

+ another vote for StR in Osaka. One of my favorite hotels in the world.

For Kyoto, I'd highly recommend trying out one of the many luxury Ryokans instead.

bhrubin Mar 24, 2018 10:24 pm

@Beltway2A so where did you stay and what did you think? Inquiring minds...

HKTraveler Mar 25, 2018 1:57 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29563600)
@Beltway2A so where did you stay and what did you think? Inquiring minds...

Have you sorted out restaurant reservations for your upcoming trip yet?

Aventine Mar 25, 2018 8:30 am

How about both? :D

bhrubin Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 29564570)
How about both? :D

The OP’s trip was Aug 2017, I think, so no chance for that. But we are doing both, along with Suiran Kyoto, too, in May.

Originally Posted by HKTraveler (Post 29563877)
Have you sorted out restaurant reservations for your upcoming trip yet?

Not entirely. Still won’t know for sure what Tokyo restaurants are confirmed until April 1, but hoping for Yoshitake and Narisawa (or Sawada and Den/RyuGin as possible alternatives). For Kyoto, we are confirmed already for Kitcho, Kyo Suiran, Gion Sasaki, and Nakamura—and Wayamamura in Nara, as well. For Osaka, we are confirmed already for Hajime (waiting on jacket requirement waiver) and at Aragawa in Kobe.

HKTraveler Mar 26, 2018 5:44 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29564622)
Not entirely. Still won’t know for sure what Tokyo restaurants are confirmed until April 1, but hoping for Yoshitake and Narisawa (or Sawada and Den/RyuGin as possible alternatives). For Kyoto, we are confirmed already for Kitcho, Kyo Suiran, Gion Sasaki, and Nakamura—and Wayamamura in Nara, as well. For Osaka, we are confirmed already for Hajime (waiting on jacket requirement waiver) and at Aragawa in Kobe.

Kitcho is good and an experience to enjoy. To get a full appreciation, see if you can get a copy of Kitcho: Japan’s Ultimate Dining Experience. It explains the seasonal products and the level of details they go to in selecting rice being served in a particular year.

Hajime was only so-so for me, Kahala is more interesting from both a food and experience perspective

JK Jan 14, 2019 4:46 am

Hi guys - wondering if any recent experiences or preferences between these two, for a Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka trip in July?

I note the StR moves to Cat 8 soon, while the RC stays Cat 7, and I'm wondering if there's a clue in that? Both cost the same amount of points or cash at the mo (RC perhaps marginally cheaper cash rate).

In fairness, it will be a quick overnight stay, having come from the RC Kyoto, and used to shorten the trip to KIX in the morning. So only a one night stay, but just can't decide which property to go for!

Cheers!
JK

Aventine Jan 14, 2019 5:02 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 30652131)
Hi guys - wondering if any recent experiences or preferences between these two, for a Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka trip in July?

I note the StR moves to Cat 8 soon, while the RC stays Cat 7, and I'm wondering if there's a clue in that? Both cost the same amount of points or cash at the mo (RC perhaps marginally cheaper cash rate).

In fairness, it will be a quick overnight stay, having come from the RC Kyoto, and used to shorten the trip to KIX in the morning. So only a one night stay, but just can't decide which property to go for!

Cheers!
JK

StR for sure. Love the tall windows and classic elegance at the St. Regis. The old English decor at RC Osaka isn't my style and low ceilings make it even more stifling.

Kagehitokiri Jan 14, 2019 5:53 pm

there was at least one fan of RC osaka club

also fans of IC osaka residences

seem to recall bhrubin said some hard product at conrad beat st regis

sounds like st regis unless something specific elsewhere
(this applies many places, many here do very specific)

Aventine Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30655190)
there was at least one fan of RC osaka club

also fans of IC osaka residences

seem to recall bhrubin said some hard product at conrad beat st regis

sounds like st regis unless something specific elsewhere
(this applies many places, many here do very specific)

Definitely because the St. Regis is older and situated differently than the Conrad (geographically). The TVs are pre 2010s maybe.

JK Jan 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks guys. Going to pass on Conrad as trying to stay within SPG/Marriott.

At this stage, I have the night in question held at RC Kyoto (incase we just suck it up and face the longer earlier commute to KIX); and the RC Osaka.

And as as of now, the StR Osaka!

Based on feedback so far, I’ll cancel at RC Osaka though.

Thanks all!

Aventine Jan 15, 2019 12:14 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 30655746)
Thanks guys. Going to pass on Conrad as trying to stay within SPG/Marriott.

At this stage, I have the night in question held at RC Kyoto (incase we just suck it up and face the longer earlier commute to KIX); and the RC Osaka.

And as as of now, the StR Osaka!

Based on feedback so far, I’ll cancel at RC Osaka though.

Thanks all!

You'll have a wonderful shower and night's sleep. The shower wasn't anything too fancy but incredible pressure and temperature! Mattress heavenly too.

JK Jan 15, 2019 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30656092)
You'll have a wonderful shower and night's sleep. The shower wasn't anything too fancy but incredible pressure and temperature! Mattress heavenly too.

You're speaking my language! Never underestimate the power of a highly-pressured shower!!

Over to the wife to choose between RC Kyoto and StR Osaka now (I'm leaning towards StR Osaka because there's a few restaurants I want to try; and I love seeing different hotels - but I know she'll appreciate one less night of packing/unpacking).

Going to be quite an epic trip, I'm beyond excited:
  • The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
  • The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
  • The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

July can't come soon enough!

Aventine Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 30656176)
You're speaking my language! Never underestimate the power of a highly-pressured shower!!

Over to the wife to choose between RC Kyoto and StR Osaka now (I'm leaning towards StR Osaka because there's a few restaurants I want to try; and I love seeing different hotels - but I know she'll appreciate one less night of packing/unpacking).

• The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

Bring a few changes of clothes. It's HOT and humid in Kansai at that time. I think we would choose Kyoto over the StR. A lot more to do and see in Kyoto than Osaka. RC Kyoto's baked goods are also out of this world.

JK Jan 15, 2019 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30656206)
Bring a few changes of clothes. It's HOT and humid in Kansai at that time. I think we would choose Kyoto over the StR. A lot more to do and see in Kyoto than Osaka. RC Kyoto's baked goods are also out of this world.

We'll already have had 2 full days, plus 2 half-days each side in Kyoto. But we fly KIX-HGK-USM at 10am the following day, so I thought it might be sensible to get closer to KIX the night before. We wouldn't cut short Kyoto, but early evening, we'd head to Osaka, rather than bed-in at the RC Kyoto.

I've no sense of how easy it is to get around (first time in Japan), but it looked like RC Kyoto to KIX is about 2.5 hours, while StR Osaka to KIX is about an hour. So really, it's about shaving 90 minutes off the commute on what will already be an early start. That said, if someone told me it was super-easy getting from RC Kyoto to KIX, I'd be all ears.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 15, 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 30656176)

• The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

If it’s between StR Osaka and R-C Kyoto, absolutely go for Kyoto. The former is a very good city hotel, the latter is an exceptional urban resort in one of the most beautiful and interesting locations in the world. And, you’ll be much closer to excellent restaurants in Kyoto - both within the hotel and without, in Kyoto and its environs.

JK Jan 15, 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30656221)

If it’s between StR Osaka and R-C Kyoto, absolutely go for Kyoto. The former is a very good city hotel, the latter is an exceptional urban resort in one of the most beautiful and interesting locations in the world. And, you’ll be much closer to excellent restaurants in Kyoto - both within the hotel and without, in Kyoto and its environs.

I absolutely agree, RC Kyoto looks far more appealing (and unique) than StR Osaka, but per my previous post (you probably missed it while typing your reply), this is only about the last night, to ease the commute to KIX. While RC Kyoto remains 60k points per night, I'm all in - it's a steal on points. Just debating over what to do about the commute the next morning, and Mrs JK not being too helpful in terms of providing opinions or preferences (no doubt she'll chime in once it's all booked and irreversible!)

MikeFromTokyo Jan 15, 2019 1:36 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 30656244)
I absolutely agree, RC Kyoto looks far more appealing (and unique) than StR Osaka, but per my previous post (you probably missed it while typing your reply), this is only about the last night, to ease the commute to KIX. While RC Kyoto remains 60k points per night, I'm all in - it's a steal on points. Just debating over what to do about the commute the next morning, and Mrs JK not being too helpful in terms of providing opinions or preferences (no doubt she'll chime in once it's all booked and irreversible!)

There really is not that big of a difference, as KIX is also not that close to St.R Osaka. So, by train I would absolutely just do it from Kyoto assuming your flight is at a reasonable hour. If it is a ridiculously early flight, I would actually suggest leaving for the airport the night before and staying at an airport hotel. I hate traveling to airports in the early morning if I can avoid it.

Moving to St. R would be more of a hassle, and that would negate any marginal time savings to the airport the next day. Really not worth it.

Aventine Jan 15, 2019 1:37 am

StR is somewhat better for getting to KIX. You could do a limousine bus from a nearby hotel, the JR Haruka or an air conditioned taxi. The nightlife around Shinsaibashi is more lively and you guys have to do the famous Dotonburi Glico man photospot.