Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there was at least one fan of RC osaka club

also fans of IC osaka residences

seem to recall bhrubin said some hard product at conrad beat st regis

sounds like st regis unless something specific elsewhere
(this applies many places, many here do very specific)
Definitely because the St. Regis is older and situated differently than the Conrad (geographically). The TVs are pre 2010s maybe.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Thanks guys. Going to pass on Conrad as trying to stay within SPG/Marriott.

At this stage, I have the night in question held at RC Kyoto (incase we just suck it up and face the longer earlier commute to KIX); and the RC Osaka.

And as as of now, the StR Osaka!

Based on feedback so far, Ill cancel at RC Osaka though.

Thanks all!
bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JK
Thanks guys. Going to pass on Conrad as trying to stay within SPG/Marriott.

At this stage, I have the night in question held at RC Kyoto (incase we just suck it up and face the longer earlier commute to KIX); and the RC Osaka.

And as as of now, the StR Osaka!

Based on feedback so far, Ill cancel at RC Osaka though.

Thanks all!
You'll have a wonderful shower and night's sleep. The shower wasn't anything too fancy but incredible pressure and temperature! Mattress heavenly too.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:56 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by Aventine
You'll have a wonderful shower and night's sleep. The shower wasn't anything too fancy but incredible pressure and temperature! Mattress heavenly too.
You're speaking my language! Never underestimate the power of a highly-pressured shower!!

Over to the wife to choose between RC Kyoto and StR Osaka now (I'm leaning towards StR Osaka because there's a few restaurants I want to try; and I love seeing different hotels - but I know she'll appreciate one less night of packing/unpacking).

Going to be quite an epic trip, I'm beyond excited:
  • The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
  • The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
  • The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

July can't come soon enough!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JK
You're speaking my language! Never underestimate the power of a highly-pressured shower!!

Over to the wife to choose between RC Kyoto and StR Osaka now (I'm leaning towards StR Osaka because there's a few restaurants I want to try; and I love seeing different hotels - but I know she'll appreciate one less night of packing/unpacking).

• The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

Bring a few changes of clothes. It's HOT and humid in Kansai at that time. I think we would choose Kyoto over the StR. A lot more to do and see in Kyoto than Osaka. RC Kyoto's baked goods are also out of this world.
FlyerEC and JK like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:16 am
JK

Originally Posted by Aventine
Bring a few changes of clothes. It's HOT and humid in Kansai at that time. I think we would choose Kyoto over the StR. A lot more to do and see in Kyoto than Osaka. RC Kyoto's baked goods are also out of this world.
We'll already have had 2 full days, plus 2 half-days each side in Kyoto. But we fly KIX-HGK-USM at 10am the following day, so I thought it might be sensible to get closer to KIX the night before. We wouldn't cut short Kyoto, but early evening, we'd head to Osaka, rather than bed-in at the RC Kyoto.

I've no sense of how easy it is to get around (first time in Japan), but it looked like RC Kyoto to KIX is about 2.5 hours, while StR Osaka to KIX is about an hour. So really, it's about shaving 90 minutes off the commute on what will already be an early start. That said, if someone told me it was super-easy getting from RC Kyoto to KIX, I'd be all ears.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by JK

• The St. Regis Osaka
  • W Koh Samui
  • The St. Regis Bangkok

If its between StR Osaka and R-C Kyoto, absolutely go for Kyoto. The former is a very good city hotel, the latter is an exceptional urban resort in one of the most beautiful and interesting locations in the world. And, youll be much closer to excellent restaurants in Kyoto - both within the hotel and without, in Kyoto and its environs.

JK likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:27 am
JK

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

If it’s between StR Osaka and R-C Kyoto, absolutely go for Kyoto. The former is a very good city hotel, the latter is an exceptional urban resort in one of the most beautiful and interesting locations in the world. And, you’ll be much closer to excellent restaurants in Kyoto - both within the hotel and without, in Kyoto and its environs.

I absolutely agree, RC Kyoto looks far more appealing (and unique) than StR Osaka, but per my previous post (you probably missed it while typing your reply), this is only about the last night, to ease the commute to KIX. While RC Kyoto remains 60k points per night, I'm all in - it's a steal on points. Just debating over what to do about the commute the next morning, and Mrs JK not being too helpful in terms of providing opinions or preferences (no doubt she'll chime in once it's all booked and irreversible!)
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by JK
I absolutely agree, RC Kyoto looks far more appealing (and unique) than StR Osaka, but per my previous post (you probably missed it while typing your reply), this is only about the last night, to ease the commute to KIX. While RC Kyoto remains 60k points per night, I'm all in - it's a steal on points. Just debating over what to do about the commute the next morning, and Mrs JK not being too helpful in terms of providing opinions or preferences (no doubt she'll chime in once it's all booked and irreversible!)
There really is not that big of a difference, as KIX is also not that close to St.R Osaka. So, by train I would absolutely just do it from Kyoto assuming your flight is at a reasonable hour. If it is a ridiculously early flight, I would actually suggest leaving for the airport the night before and staying at an airport hotel. I hate traveling to airports in the early morning if I can avoid it.

Moving to St. R would be more of a hassle, and that would negate any marginal time savings to the airport the next day. Really not worth it.
JK likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

StR is somewhat better for getting to KIX. You could do a limousine bus from a nearby hotel, the JR Haruka or an air conditioned taxi. The nightlife around Shinsaibashi is more lively and you guys have to do the famous Dotonburi Glico man photospot.
JK likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:52 am

What time is the flight the next morning?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:52 am
JK

Thanks MikeFromTokyo and Aventine. All fair points, and hence my dilemma!

The flight is at 10am. So would mean leaving RC Kyoto around 5:30/6am (to be there for 8), and leave StR Osaka at 6:45/7am.

For now, I've got bookings at both, and will see which way the wind blows closer to the time (or where we book for dinner the night before!)

(The limousine bus sure does sound a winner, versus trains and changes. Taxis seem a little steep out there.)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by JK
Thanks MikeFromTokyo and Aventine. All fair points, and hence my dilemma!

The flight is at 10am. So would mean leaving RC Kyoto around 5:30/6am (to be there for 8), and leave StR Osaka at 6:45/7am.

For now, I've got bookings at both, and will see which way the wind blows closer to the time (or where we book for dinner the night before!)

(The limousine bus sure does sound a winner, versus trains and changes. Taxis seem a little steep out there.)
For me it would not be worth a move to another hotel only for the time savings. However, if you happen to want to try St.R for a night, it makes perfect sense.

I am a late riser, so for me it would be an airport hotel on the night before a 10 am flight out of KIX, regardless of whether I were coming from Kyoto or Osaka.

Will you have a JR rail pass? If so, Kyoto to Shin Osaka on Shinkansen is very fast.
JK likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:52 am
JK

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

For me it would not be worth a move to another hotel only for the time savings. However, if you happen to want to try St.R for a night, it makes perfect sense.

I am a late riser, so for me it would be an airport hotel on the night before a 10 am flight out of KIX, regardless of whether I were coming from Kyoto or Osaka.

Will you have a JR rail pass? If so, Kyoto to Shin Osaka on Shinkansen is very fast.
Thanks Mike - I haven't even gotten around to figuring out what a JR Rail Pass is just yet, but I'll add it to my list of things needed to be looked at. I know we're doing the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, but that's about as far as the planning has got thus far (plus a couple of restaurant reservations)!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2010 st regis
2017 conrad
seems not major difference
perhaps conrad is upscale franchise (vs waldorf, FS, MO, etc)
conrad doesnt look overwhelming, but nice corner room & suite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.