Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?

Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?

Old Jul 12, 17, 12:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
While I am just starting to explore the more luxury hotel category, the only thing more important to me than space is the ability to control the temperature in my room, and to set it to a temperature I am comfortable with. This usually equates to good a/c that can get the room to at least 18c at night.

I don't care how large, well decorated or luxurious a room is if I can't get a good night sleep because the room is to warm.
Old Jul 12, 17, 1:53 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by kmd0506 View Post
While I am just starting to explore the more luxury hotel category, the only thing more important to me than space is the ability to control the temperature in my room, and to set it to a temperature I am comfortable with. This usually equates to good a/c that can get the room to at least 18c at night.

I don't care how large, well decorated or luxurious a room is if I can't get a good night sleep because the room is to warm.
You'll get along very well with bhrubin
Old Jul 12, 17, 1:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kmd0506 View Post

I agree and this is usually a given in the luxury high end categories. Any hotel that shuts off AC or heating doesn't get my money or vote.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:00 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Space, style or decor? All of the above, please. :-D

If I have to choose one, it would be space, both floor space and storage space. I want to be able to comfortably place everything which was packed in our suitcases, which might be a lot if we are two adults and a teenager away for two weeks. I do not like looking at our belongings all the time, preferably there should therefore be not only space for our clothes, but also for everything else we bring (a drawer for sunglasses, somewhere to put away computers and cables and all the elecronic mess when not using it, a drawer below or next to the sinks for smaller toiletries - or at least a little bowl or something to put it in, enough space to put away shoes etc. etc.) Also there should be enough space to put away the suitcases so that I do not have to look at them all the time.

When it comes to actual space, we would like two sinks, bathtub and separate showers in the bathroom - and another separate toilet/powder room. Prefer separate (closed with door) bed- and living areas. In the bedroom area there should be not only the bed, but also at least one comfortable chair. This is because our son will most likely sleep in the livingroom area which means we cannot sit there late at night. Also outside space is important and the ability to go out there from the bedroom, again as our son sleeps in livingroom. I would like comfortable loungers/chairs outside - and enough light to be able to sit and read out there at night.

In terms of style and decor, I am quite flexible, no need to copy my home. I like the style and decor to reflext the country or area we visit or the time in which the property was built. However, I can also enjoy very minimalistic design (some Amans) or modern/comfortable design (Four Seasons like). I hate bling (some Vegas, some Dubai hotels for example), so I guess that is the only kind of decor I would try to avoid.
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by KatW View Post
What signals luxury to you in a hotel room or suite?
Space is the most important to me. The nicest room below 50m˛ will not make it. Even a junior suite needs a proper sitting area where 2 people can be comfortable. Obviously a suite with separate rooms (of decent size each)is better, especially with a dining area (I don't like in-room breakfast when you squeeze a rolling table between the bed and the TV with no space to move around).

Separate bathtub and shower is also mandatory, but strangely enough I don't care about dual vanity. One is ok for me.

I usually like to try styles & décors very different from our place. When we are on vacation we like the feeling of being away from home, and we like a decor which reflects the location. Our best memories are probably the Dalem Jiwo suite or FS Florence.

Public areas shall not designed to be beautiful only, they shall serve as living spaces. Aman Venice comes to mind here.
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:27 am

For me, the hotel/resort should reflect the location it is in. I want to know where I am. Also a good view in certain locations. Lots of light. It should be residential... really important. The little things. Books. Flowers! And the human touch is important. Nicest product is not good enough if the hospitality is lacking... a good setup, warm welcome.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It's nothing of it alone. I know very spacious hotel rooms which are far from luxury. But yes, a 18 sqm room can't be luxury. To be fair sometimed numbers can be misleading. There are rooms/suites with 50sqm outside which seems to be much more spacious and comfortable as other ones with 70 sqm.

Style and decor are very important as quality of furniture. But everything must also be functional. It doesn't help to have the most spacious and stylish bathroom if it lacks practical mirrors or space for my belongings. Also a 10 sqm shower is not so great if it only offers a small showerhead or is due the space much too cold.
Old Jul 12, 17, 9:35 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
To me, a truely luxurious hotel room must have these attributes.

Space, lots of space, well designed open space and if a multi-room suite, each room must feel spacious. Not just physical space but a sense of space. In other words, no slanting walls, low ceilings, rooms crammed each inch with useless furniture. Small = Not luxurious my books so don't tell me a shoe-box room like 25sqm is luxurious even if it's the Ritz or Four Seasons. My room requirement starts at 45sqm although I will tolerate a 40sqm in some occasion. Outdoor balcony and terrace adds to the sense of space and are a big plus.

Decor - As in well designed, pleasing to the eye, and must use very high quality materials. Things in the room must feel well made and well maintained. Rooms with ikea like cheap furniture just doesn't cut it. Abundant natural light. I can appreciate both modern contemporary and classical decor, as long as it's tastefully done and luxuriously furnished. Large windows. Preferably floor to ceiling.

Style - That's very subjective. Everyone has different taste. What is stylish to one is not stylish to another.

Comfort - A must, and that includes things like a good air condition, sparkling clean, smell good, a great bed for a great night sleep. shower with strong water pressure. These basics must be well taken care of. IMO, a room that is not comfortable is not luxurious. Double glazed windows and thick walls to keep off intrusive noise. A truly luxurious hotel room should be something you look forward to return to relax in, or even better enjoy being in it and not want to go out! If it doesn't, it's just another hotel room.

Amenities and equipment - Thick fluffy Bath towels and bathrobes, slippers, coffee machine and coffee making facility ( a must for me ), large screen high-def television, iPod speaker, generous supply of complimentary drinking water. Plugs / USB plentiful and conveniently located to charge my stuff. An actual work desk. Fast Internet. Generous welcome amenities.

And lastly, of course, warm, efficient and friendly service to match. ^
Old Jul 12, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
I'd say my tastes and preferences could easily vary depending on the property and the city itself. If I'm in DC on work, I'm looking for a property with proactive service, modern design, and a quiet atmosphere. Rooms would need to be recently updated with technological features and a clean, minimalist style. An engaged staff, a quiet and well-stocked club lounge, and clean/modern design fits my "traveling for work" style.

However, when I'm hopping around on leisure, my standards open up quite a bit. While I do love the modern style of many luxury properties, I love the old style of some resorts/hotels in leisure destinations. For example, prior to renovation, the RC Orlando lobby featured a classic old-timey Florida design that was really quite charming. I don't mind these kinds of older designs throughout public areas, however, I still strongly prefer a more refreshed/modern design in the rooms themselves. On leisure, staff and service kinda depends on what my purpose for the exact trip is. If I'm looking to chill by the pool for the weekend, I prefer the staff to be more relaxed. If I'm bringing family or friends along, I prefer the staff be more attentive as we may be looking to do more than just quietly lounge by the pool.

Additional pluses anywhere: AMAZING AC (I have trouble finding this in hotels, but easily makes my stay 100% better), heavy interior doors (I don't know why, I'm just a sucker for a nice door ), USB outlets, electronically/iPad controlled lighting & curtains (minimizes how many surfaces I must touch ), blackout curtains, club lounge check-in. Anything else big or small to make my stay more efficient and satisfying.

So, it really depends on the purpose of the trip. However, it never hurts to have a very clean and presentable property (germ/neat freak here ) with attentive service.

Last edited by Mike2K; Jul 12, 17 at 10:35 am Reason: add AC note
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:18 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
You'll get along very well with bhrubin

Luxury to me does, indeed, require absolutely good working air con. And the ability of the hotel to make sure it stays that way.

Beyond that, style and decor can vary widely. It can match my style and be modern, clean, and unfussy, or it can be very different but still very well done (La Residence in South Africa, Umaid Bhawan in India, Gritti Palace in Venice, the Strand in Burma).

Space can be minimally sizable or obviously more spacious...but we actually are not fond of a 4 bedroom villa for just the two of us. It's as much about how usable the space is as how much space is available.

Location is important...but not as critical for us as it can be for others. Obviously, the location must be convenient to whatever you want to do in that locale. But being in the central tourist district isn't urgent for us. Being closer to top restaurants can be more important.

View can be important. But it isn't critical to me. I laugh when people get caught up with river views in cities that don't have coastal views--sorry, I could give a hoot about the damn river in Bangkok or London or Florence or Melbourne or Paris. As it happens, because we live on the SoCal coast with one of the best harbor/coastal views in the world, I don't always care about an ocean view, either. But when a view is particularly unique and dramatic (usually because of a truly amazing scene of natural beauty or for one of the world's more unusual and remote manmade wonders, such as at the StR Princeville on Kauai, Amanjiwo looking onto Borobudur, Aureum Palace Bagan, hotels looking onto Bora Bora, etc), I will crave it, however.

A proper king bed, or a bed that still feels like a proper king bed, is also a proper part of luxury for us--since we are 6'2" and 6'5"!

A private plunge pool or private pool is another element that makes for luxury for me. It isn't always critical...but in hot climes I definitely will heavily consider it.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 12, 17 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
My desire...
I'm sure I'll think of more.
I could've written your post almost word for word as my own; it perfectly sums up what I strive for.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
[QUOTE=Mike2K;28551448] However, it never hurts to have a very clean and presentable property (germ/neat freak here ) [QUOTE]

Welcome to my world!
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I concur on good ac, also heat when necessary. Beyond that, however, is the need for an easy-to-use regulator rather than some I have been exposed to which ideally require a PhD in physics to operate.
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Space is important, but I feel that when it gets above a certain size the feeling of luxury does not increase. I've stayed at the second highest category of suites at FS Boston. It was a truly luxurious experience, but I feel that the quality of the furniture and small touches as artwork and flowers add more to the feeling of luxury as long as the room is large enough. When is it large enough? Well, that varies a lot depening on how well planned the room is, and how it is furnished, but if done properly I find that it starts around 70 m2 (about 750 sq ft).

I do not want the hotel to be similar to my style at home. We keep our house pretty simple, and have a fairly Scandinavian style. I want the hotel to be reflective of the culture of where ever we are visiting, which can be hard sometimes as there seems to be some sort of agreement of what luxury should be.

If we're talking my wish list, I want somewhere very comfortable to sit and enjoy the company of whomever I travel with. I also want two full bathrooms, where I'm fine with one being smaller and only having a walk in shower. Another thing I like is a view that shows something interesting or iconic. Finally, I want good working QUIET air conditioning.
Old Jul 13, 17, 11:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I hear you, bhrubin, on too much space. I prefer one-bedroom accommodations so frequently eschew larger suites/villas. Our upcoming stay at Las Ventanas in Cabo is booked into a one-bedroom villa with private pool.

Whenever possible, true luxury includes an outdoor space, be it patio, terrace, balcony, deck.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: