Search

Balmoral or Caledonian for Edinburgh?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Balmoral or Caledonian for Edinburgh?

Which is the flyertalk approved hotel? Is there another choice i'm missing? Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:55 pm

I stayed in The Balmoral in April in the JK Rowling Suite and was actually impressed by it, especially after staying in Rocco Forte's Brown's just a few weeks before, which was not brilliant. The room was setup perfectly and was good enough for what we needed, and the location right next to the train station is perfect, but what actually impressed me was the service. For example, when approaching concierge for the first time to ask to book some restaurants, they already knew who I was and what my allergies were, to pass on. We were only there for 2 nights, so that caught my eye, as most hotels I stay in don't know who I am after 4 nights.

It is not a hotel I would go to for the sake of it, but if I had to be in Edinburgh I would go back.
Downsides? The hotel must offer free spa entry to anyone with a train ticket, as it was so busy during the week that there were queues to the toilets; bring a lot of data on your own phone, as the Internet was appalling and was difficult for me to do any work at all, and unless you like fine dining or afternoon tea, prepare to want to eat out.

Here's some pictures

Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
How about the Waldorf Astoria? I am thinking of making a detour to Edinburg since it's only a 4 hours train ride from London in my next trip.

Edit : Oops.. just realize WA in Edinburg is the Caledonian

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 8, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

No question. Definitely the Balmoral. As Mac stared, it is most definitely not a destination hotel; nonetheless, it is competently managed, well located and very comfortable. Do request one of the newly renovated deluxe rooms.

Last year, I gave the Caledonian a try. What a mess! What greeted me was a totally befuddled front desk, little concern for maintenance, and a waiter who literally said "Sorry. Hangover, you know" when I complained of his service.

One of my most extraordinary dining experiences was in Edinburgh: Timberyard, on the night of the referendum back in 2014. It was that rare trifecta of perfect food, gorgeous surroundings and lovely staff. I still smile thinking back to that night.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaterland
it is most definitely not a destination hotel
no worries there, have to be in Edinburgh, sounds like Balmoral will be the most comfortable choice. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've stayed a few times at both the Balmoral and Caledonian (as both Hilton and Waldorf). The clear winner is the Balmoral--unless you really want to be much closer to Edinburgh Castle.

The Balmoral is a fine luxury hotel. Service is very good, appointments are very good (in a very Scottish traditional style mixed with modern elements), and food/beverage is very good. It's luxury. It's just not blow your socks off luxury. Much like Scotland.

The WA Caledonian is a very nice hotel trying hard to be a proper luxury hotel but not quite getting it. Service is the biggest challenge here--it's very uneven and always has been, even when it was just a very nice Hilton. But its location and views onto Edinburgh Castle are perhaps the best in the city.

Believe it or not, both the Sheraton Grand and Glasshouse (Marriott Autograph) aren't bad options here, either, though neither qualifies as luxury. But their surprisingly very good service is more consistent than that at the WA.

The Caledonian may be one of the most disappointing WA properties.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:22 am

I usually stay at The Balmoral but last September I decided to try The Caledonian. BIG MISTAKE. When i was checked into my room I immediately discovered that, though the room had been made up, the bathroom and especially the toilet had not been cleaned. Absolutely disgusting. When I complained to the manager on duty I was upgraded to a suite but in my mind the damage was done.
Also the restaurant that serves breakfast is, at least in my view, very low end food and service wise
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I agree with the gist of this thread ... I prefer The Balmoral to the Caledonian.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidO
I agree with the gist of this thread ... I prefer The Balmoral to the Caledonian.
Thanks David! I think I will be hitting you up via email in the next few days to make some bookings in Edinburgh, London, Paris, Beirut, Cairo, Giza and Dubai ^
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: LHW membership
We stayed at the Balmoral, everything was exceptional apart from F&B which was rather mediocre. Luckily concierge recommended some wonderful restaurants in the area. During our visit I visited Waldorf Astoria (10min walking distance from the main train station). I really enjoyed the facilities, bar and restaurants are much more appealing than Balmoral. Unfortunately they were not able to show me a room due to limited availability (Easter weekend).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:42 pm

The Balmoral would also be my choice. Spend there a couple of nights on two trips and cant value the great service enought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.