Luxury spa news, chitchat and review thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury spa news, chitchat and review thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just had a massage using almond oil, which turned out to be an ESPA product. If I had known, I would not have agreed, as I only use chemical-free spa products.

But I thought, how could almond oil be nasty? I do not know what ESPA had done with the oil, but my skin smelled like it had been plastered with fat that had been used to fry french fries.

It really matters what oils are used for massage. When the oil is of poor quality, the massage suffers, whereas when it smells wonderful, using natural essential oils, it enhances the quality of the treatment. Needless to say, I did not enjoy the ESPA experience.

Normally, I travel with my own massage oil for such occasions, but this time I had forgotten to pack it. However, it was a real demonstration of why spas should choose their skincare products with great care.

I feel your pain. I wonder why the spa manager did not read your profile and advise the team accordingly!

Not only does ESPA source cheap oils, they also add way too many unnecessary and harmful ingredients to push the shelf life of the products. I want pure essential oils and not Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Linalool and Phenoxyethanol (!). After my first and last ESPA massage I wanted for nothing more but a scrub and shower after the treatment to get the chemicals off.

I wonder what most chefs would say if the F&B Director decides to favor convenience products from the freezer instead of locally sourced, organic products for the cuisine? Equally I wonder why ESPA is still a thing, despite it being very high-street by now... problem is they are involved too early in the design process of some spas already.

No - they still have it in a few, including FS Park Lane.
By now it would be easier to list the brands FS Park Lane does not have.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
My current favourite massage oil is Arabian Oud by Sodashi. I also like their Serenity Oil.
Please share which London hotels use these or any in UK?

Wonder what The Beaverbrook spa will be using , pity it is not open yet
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 31, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sodashi.com.au/spa-locator/
MO , rosewood , cafe royal
FS hampshire , (Aspen Spa Scotland)

not aman spa connaught , FS london ?
I know Aman Tokyo sources Sodashi products but puts their own house label on it. Does the Connaught do the same thing?

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I know Aman Tokyo sources Sodashi products but puts their own house label on it. Does the Connaught do the same thing?
Back in the day the very wise team at Amanresorts decided to commission a line of chemical-free and very high quality skincare with Sodashi in Australia. That's the reason all Aman Spas (including The Connaught and also Tokyo) have Sodashi.

Last year I heard first rumors that Sodashi is out and this was confirmed a bit later. They are now developing their own line of skincare but of course there's a company in charge. What I heard, however, makes me shiver as it simply not of the same standard.

The reason the whole 'new product line' venture is delayed and delayed all over again has to do with the difficulties of importing cosmetics into certain markets and the necessary permits. I also heard they are still changing some details and developing protocols. Apparently they thought it would be a lot easier, but alas.

I am really curious what the new products will be like. I wanted to try them at Zoe this year but Zoe opened for the 2017 season with Sodashi products (which made me really, really happy).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can't imagine how Aman thought creating their own skin care brand would be easier or cheaper than being partners with something proven and tested. I really hope it's not a Korean OEM company or someonr like that behind the new line.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:04 am

I can't imagine how Aman thought creating their own skin care brand would be easier or cheaper than being partners with something proven and tested.
The problem is they want something more 'high-tech'. Or let's call it a more scientific approach. That's why they have chosen a new company they partner with and that's also why they are creating this line of skincare with them. While this can be seen as a big investment in the wellness and spa offerings of the resorts, I fear the formulas will include some usual suspects I don't like.

If you want to know what it will be like, just look who's in charge now at Aman. Their new group director of Spa is Nichola Roche, who is ex ESPA... I am aware she has a background as a naturopath and Ayurveda, but her past employments speak a different language. We'll see!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
The problem is they want something more 'high-tech'. Or let's call it a more scientific approach. That's why they have chosen a new company they partner with and that's also why they are creating this line of skincare with them. While this can be seen as a big investment in the wellness and spa offerings of the resorts, I fear the formulas will include some usual suspects I don't like.

If you want to know what it will be like, just look who's in charge now at Aman. Their new group director of Spa is Nichola Roche, who is ex ESPA... I am aware she has a background as a naturopath and Ayurveda, but her past employments speak a different language. We'll see!
Funny as Aman has never been known as being scientific or high tech. It's not something I come to expect from them. Science and chemistry... *sigh
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by scented

Funny as Aman has never been known as being scientific or high tech. It's not something I come to expect from them. Science and chemistry... *sigh
I can't imagine how Aman thought creating their own skin care brand would be easier or cheaper than being partners with something proven and tested. I really hope it's not a Korean OEM company or someonr like that behind the new line.
Well as I have mentioned before & scented concurs

" Back in the day the very wise team at Amanresorts decided to commission a line of chemical-free and very high quality skincare with Sodashi in Australia. That's the reason all Aman Spas (including The Connaught and also Tokyo) have Sodashi. "

They were wise ..
These days that is not the word of " choice " , perhaps not in vocabulary
Seems like calculating & working toward being soulless - the owner & hanger ons
Very disappointing as some of them know what Aman is & should not destroy uniqueness of being a true leader in the ' industry '

Bad for us , guests

Thankfully , the Indon Amans , source local suppliers for organic products - soaps , etc

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:23 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well as I have mentioned before & scented concurs

" Back in the day the very wise team at Amanresorts decided to commission a line of chemical-free and very high quality skincare with Sodashi in Australia. That's the reason all Aman Spas (including The Connaught and also Tokyo) have Sodashi. "

They were wise ..
These days that is not the word of " choice " , perhaps not in vocabulary
Seems like calculating & working toward being soulless - the owner & hanger ons
Very disappointing as some of them know what Aman is & should not destroy uniqueness of being a true leader in the ' industry '

Bad for us , guests

Thankfully , the Indon Amans , source local suppliers for organic products - soaps , etc
The rumors of cosmetic companies I've heard Aman executive management wants to partner with are appalling. You can't be a leader using petro chemical garbage. Does Nemu source a local Japanese company or they follow Tokyo?

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:26 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:08 am

Will have to check about Nemu , latest in person when we return in November .
Can ' t recall what they told me in April .

It ' s really been downhill . Have been advised by former Aman spa staff not to buy Aman Spa products in recent years . Keep the bottles , etc as souvenirs now
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Andaz Tokyo jasmine oil is an organic one from the UK.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:10 am

I heard that Amanrussia were working with ILA on a new Aman spa range, but I also heard they were working with a UK cosmetic's company that makes the Taj products. Aman is keeping very quiet about the new range, possibly because they think that Amanjunkies will be horrified. Kicking out Sodashi was like a restaurant suddenly deciding to ditch Petrus for Rolling Rock beer.
FlyerEC and Aventine like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Borrowed from uggboy

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/ne...ondon-at-park/

The Spa at Four Seasons Hotel London at Park Lane will launch a week long pop-up, The Omorovicza Midnight Suite featuring La Perla, from September 7th-14th, 2017.

Here, clients can experience a selection of treatments from the new Omorovicza Midnight Menu to celebrate the launch of their Midnight Radiance Mask.

The brightening overnight mask is formulated with active ingredients to gently exfoliate the skin while promoting cell renewal and fighting hyperpigmentation.

The venue will be located at the hotel’s tenth floor spa, a roof-top sanctuary like no other, boasting 360-degree views of the magnificent London skyline.
Just another tacked on spa gimmick...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Please share which London hotels use these or any in UK?

Wonder what The Beaverbrook spa will be using , pity it is not open yet
In London, as far as I know, Sodashi is in Café Royal, Rosewood London and MO Hyde Park.

Sodashi Oud Oil was created for the Spa at Four Seasons Dubai at Jumeirah, but I think you can get it online. Serenity Oil can be found at any of the Spas mentioned above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.