Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury spa news, chitchat and review thread

Luxury spa news, chitchat and review thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:17 am
  #91  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by scented
I second that... my spa experiences in NYC are limited to MO and Park Hyatt. Park Hyatt has had a strange concept with massage tables full of sand. Can you imagine? They abandoned that concept a while ago and now stick to their odd 'atelier spa' marketing nonsense.

The spa at MO NY is quite good, but I don't associate NY with spas in general.
From Nalai spa, PH Hyatt. Our collection of H Gillerman essential oil blends.
Has to be better than Aromatherapy Associates oil

I love how they call their therapists 'artisans'...yeah right.

MO NY goes for the whole Asian spaing concept and we can get that kind of thing over here with better service in Tokyo or BKK.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 7, 2017 at 11:26 am
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:14 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,618
Originally Posted by Aventine
Has to be better than Aromatherapy Associates oil

I love how they call their therapists 'artisans'...yeah right.

MO NY goes for the whole Asian spaing concept and we can get that kind of thing over here with better service in Tokyo or BKK.
Don't think any NYC spa would be worthy of your blog. Nothing to write home about!
scented is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:01 pm
  #93  
BLV
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,014
I go to Mean Christine (Christine Chin on Orchard Street) for facials and I know a picture is worth a thousand words but you'll have to take my word for it when I say that people stop me on the street and ask what the secret to my glowing skin is

As far as massages, it's a big issue to find a good one, but I use MAT specialists for that and I don't think any SPAs actually provide that service.
BLV is offline  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:34 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by BLV
I go to Mean Christine (Christine Chin on Orchard Street) for facials and I know a picture is worth a thousand words but you'll have to take my word for it when I say that people stop me on the street and ask what the secret to my glowing skin is

As far as massages, it's a big issue to find a good one, but I use MAT specialists for that and I don't think any SPAs actually provide that service.
MAT (Muscle activation technique) is much too invasive for me - I think it is more for people who work out rather than do yoga, as I do. I have never seen it offered in a Spa, but then it is a wholly North American concept, right?
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:51 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
MAT (Muscle activation technique) is much too invasive for me - I think it is more for people who work out rather than do yoga, as I do. I have never seen it offered in a Spa, but then it is a wholly North American concept, right?
I think shiatsu or a hard Swedish style massage is good enough for me. MAT sounds WAY too intense.
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:58 am
  #96  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by scented
Don't think any NYC spa would be worthy of your blog. Nothing to write home about!
Was considering Peninsula spa then came....ESPA. All the smiles died when this popped up.

vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:56 am
  #97  
BLV
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,014
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
MAT (Muscle activation technique) is much too invasive for me - I think it is more for people who work out rather than do yoga, as I do. I have never seen it offered in a Spa, but then it is a wholly North American concept, right?
Doing yoga isn't a replacement for MAT. MAT actually makes your yoga better

But yes, it can be invasive and intense for many. For me, most of the hotel properties don't provide the type of massage that I like, except for Stockholm's Grand. Their Swedish (no pun intended) massage is great and I've yet to find something similar in the states.

Don't know if it's a north american concept but if I had to guess, many athletes worldwide use it.
BLV is offline  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:46 pm
  #98  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Since we were talking about NYC spas...

Best NYC spas by Harper's Bazaar
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:04 pm
  #99  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Nemu spa treatments

Treatments are rooted in local plants and traditional Japanese techniques – and so feet are scrubbed in wasabi and crushed pearls while massages use oil blends of local cedar leaves and tangerine, as inspired by Ise-Jingu shrine.
Sounds divine!
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:58 pm
  #100  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 4,235
Originally Posted by Aventine
Nemu spa treatments



Sounds divine!
Will be at the Aman Spa at Connaught , London , in a few days , will see how they compare , forgot to ask them about products . Will take a look later .
Fully booked over weekends .

The pool next to the spa is small but " swimmable " . Full of kids yesterday afternoon being a Saturday plus designated family time .
It seems water temperature is comfortable but like a sauna otherwise - too warm for me in the indoor swimming area
FlyerEC is offline  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:26 am
  #101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Will be at the Aman Spa at Connaught , London , in a few days , will see how they compare , forgot to ask them about products . Will take a look later .
Fully booked over weekends .

The pool next to the spa is small but " swimmable " . Full of kids yesterday afternoon being a Saturday plus designated family time .
It seems water temperature is comfortable but like a sauna otherwise - too warm for me in the indoor swimming area
Please if you can!
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:06 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,390
Originally Posted by Aventine
Please if you can!
I took a photo of their products last year.

I always use their spa facilities, but never go for a treatment, so cannot comment on it.
MacMyDay is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:23 am
  #103  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I took a photo of their products last year.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...7666263099282/

I always use their spa facilities, but never go for a treatment, so cannot comment on it.
Maybe you or FlyerEC could find out if the products are still Sodashi or not please? Enquiring minds would like to know
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:33 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by BLV
Doing yoga isn't a replacement for MAT. MAT actually makes your yoga better

But yes, it can be invasive and intense for many. For me, most of the hotel properties don't provide the type of massage that I like, except for Stockholm's Grand. Their Swedish (no pun intended) massage is great and I've yet to find something similar in the states.

Don't know if it's a north american concept but if I had to guess, many athletes worldwide use it.
Thanks for the explanation. The Spa at Stockholm's Grand was created and managed by Swedish company, Raison d'Etre, so their massage protocols are superb. The other spas you may like are by Michel Reybier Hospitality, who have La Réserve Ramatuelle, Paris and Geneva. Their massage protocol is also superb and was created by a Swiss osteopath and doctor.
BLV likes this.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:37 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by Aventine
Please if you can!
Judging by the Connaught website, they are still using the Sodashi-made Aman products!

http://www.the-connaught.co.uk/aman-...aman-products/
vuittonsofstyle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.