FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury spa news, chitchat and review thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1851561-luxury-spa-news-chitchat-review-thread.html)

vuittonsofstyle Sep 5, 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30169620)

Don’t we just all love French legislation? ;)

I know that French law insists on chlorine in indoor pools, but if you compare the levels to others in Paris, FS GV is the worst. I guess engineering is still working on it....

scented Sep 5, 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 30169698)
I know that French law insists on chlorine in indoor pools, but if you compare the levels to others in Paris, FS GV is the worst. I guess engineering is still working on it....

Oh dear I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I hope they will get it under control, otherwise I cannot picture myself enjoying the Spa there.

vuittonsofstyle Sep 6, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30169717)
Oh dear I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I hope they will get it under control, otherwise I cannot picture myself enjoying the Spa there.

At least there is a sealed door to the pool, so you do not smell the chlorine in the spa reception or treatment rooms, but I cannot imagine how anyone could endure sitting on a lounger around that pool.

Aventine Sep 17, 2018 12:53 pm

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2a5a0b8a8b.jpg

A much better quality appointed treatment room at FS Downtown NYC.

vuittonsofstyle Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am

Given that hotels seem intent on creating their own spa lines these days, have any of you found one that is genuinely effective?

I see that Bill Bensley now has his own 'natural' line in Cambodia made by Khmer Tonics, whilst Heckfield Place has Wildsmith Skin (also touted as chemical-free and sold, like Aman, on its own website) and Aman, of course, have their new ILA-made line.

Both Aman and Wildsmith Skin are at the top of the price range for skincare, but I wonder if this is more to do with brand positioning than quality.

Green_eyes Oct 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by DSI (Post 28539998)
I just wrote a longer response, but, we just got back from the jungle two months ago in Ecuador and loved it. Loved it, and yes, you'll sweat. Enjoy it and don't whine otherwise you're gonna have to not do the spa for the sake of your integrity! :) I so deeply regretted staying in Cusco rather than going to the Inkaterra in the jungle nearly two years ago. I think you're in for a real treat.

St. Regis is worth looking at. Faena, Setail, Acqualina, COMO and FS Surfside would be the others I'd consider. COMO has a very high standard IMO and there's a lot of travel between the hotels between therapists I understand, so you'll have a high chance and can find out if there's someone who worked at Bali for example.

We'll be in Miami in a few months after Amanyara and COMO, Faena and the new FS seem most interesting to me right now.

Edition, W, SLS, Delano.... not places I would really consider myself if I were in your shoes... as it sounds like you're not the party type.

Which COMO in Miami you were referring to? This one?
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Florida.html

I love spas and visited many around the world. The most recent worth mentioning was FS Baku. Did not get a treatment, but enjoyed facilities with the view of the Caspian sea.

Once of the most memorable experiences was spa at Shangri La in Vancouver.

Aventine Oct 19, 2018 5:26 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 30328696)
Given that hotels seem intent on creating their own spa lines these days, have any of you found one that is genuinely effective?

I see that Bill Bensley now has his own 'natural' line in Cambodia made by Khmer Tonics, whilst Heckfield Place has Wildsmith Skin (also touted as chemical-free and sold, like Aman, on its own website) and Aman, of course, have their new ILA-made line.

Both Aman and Wildsmith Skin are at the top of the price range for skincare, but I wonder if this is more to do with brand positioning than quality.

No. We're just trying to keep to Sodashi spas but the list seems to shrink by the day.

KatW Oct 21, 2018 7:27 pm

The spa at Rancho Valencia on the outskirts of San Diego is more than usually sybaritic. Do go, if you can. The resort itself also grand.

https://www.ranchovalencia.com/spa/spa-resort-san-diego

vuittonsofstyle Oct 25, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 30341089)
The spa at Rancho Valencia on the outskirts of San Diego is more than usually sybaritic. Do go, if you can. The resirt itseld also grand.

https://www.ranchovalencia.com/spa/spa-resort-san-diego

I like this place, too, and agree that the spa is very calm and attractive. Treatments vary in effectiveness but are not bad.

Green_eyes Nov 13, 2018 11:57 am

A=Was rather surprised after visiting Encore spa in LV. Loved spa design, but massage offering did NOT include any asian treatments.

KatW Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm

The spa at Las Ventanas al Paraiso is being renovated and expanded yet the work is being done quietly with little discomfort inflicted on guests. The treatments are just grand. Ask for Celia when wanting a facial.

scented Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Green_eyes (Post 30425725)
A=Was rather surprised after visiting Encore spa in LV. Loved spa design, but massage offering did NOT include any asian treatments.

Interesting. I thought Roger Thomas must have had a very bad nightmare, in which he drew the Spa at Encore... maybe that would explain why he chose these Persian-accentuated delusions of Morocco, India and Italy for his design. Doing a Spa in Vegas is hard enough, considering strict North American regulations but this design is something else. It might also take some years of sageing to clear the energy down there if you read the news recently ;)

Green_eyes Nov 14, 2018 11:29 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30426321)
Interesting. I thought Roger Thomas must have had a very bad nightmare, in which he drew the Spa at Encore... maybe that would explain why he chose these Persian-accentuated delusions of Morocco, India and Italy for his design. Doing a Spa in Vegas is hard enough, considering strict North American regulations but this design is something else. It might also take some years of sageing to clear the energy down there if you read the news recently ;)

Whats in the news? Not following. I did like the design and scent, but why just basic treatment offering? Tons of people from Asia in both hotels and not one Thai or Balinese massage?

scented Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Green_eyes (Post 30429306)
Whats in the news? Not following. I did like the design and scent, but why just basic treatment offering? Tons of people from Asia in both hotels and not one Thai or Balinese massage?

Wynn as a brand has gained more reputation in Asia due to presence in Macau. Las Vegas is looking at different feeder markets so this does not surprise me. Offering a proper Thai massage requires more than your usual massage table -- Thai massages are dry. You are looking at separate treatment rooms with dedicated settings and specifically trained therapists, a substantial investment. I can understand you, as I value the benefits of Thai massages but I fear there is not a huge market for this in Vegas, where most people will visit the salon for a 'do' or have their 60 minutes sports massage after the gym or after swimming. Vegas is about revenue and the best Spas don't necessarily make a lot of money.

A 3 hours drive or short flight from Vegas, Amangiri is more suited to what you are looking for.

Aventine Dec 3, 2018 2:26 am

Hyatt Regency Tashkent spa review

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fd22d22776.jpg

Probably the best spa in all of CIS and up until you reach Turkey or Dubai.

75 min Arya signature massage is approx. 40 US dollars and the therapists are quite decent. Strong hands and pressure. Spa treatment rooms are better than those at FS DJB.

Elemis products aren't the greatest and they tend to have more of the scientific advances than natural ingredients in them. Used for facials.

Post treatment options are hot black or green tea or water. Nothing fancy.