Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Closing Part Of Their Facilities During A Stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:40 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I don't think it's relevant whether it was a luxury hotel or not. hotels shouldn't do that.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There is an infamous thread somewhere on FT about a big hotel on Maui that closed nearly all their pools to other visitors because one wing was rented out by some religious group that didn't want others to be anywhere nearby while they swam, even putting up screens I believe.

The other guests were not amused.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There is an infamous thread somewhere on FT about a big hotel on Maui that closed nearly all their pools to other visitors because one wing was rented out by some religious group that didn't want others to be anywhere nearby while they swam, even putting up screens I believe.

The other guests were not amused.
I remember that. Part of the issue was that men and women weren't permitted to swim together. There were also clothing restrictions.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember that. Part of the issue was that men and women weren't permitted to swim together. There were also clothing restrictions.
I ask myself only one question: Why don't they do their whatever in Miami and not in Saudi Arabia?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
I ask myself only one question: Why don't they do their whatever in Miami and not in Saudi Arabia?
Or why didn't they just buy out the whole Maui resort? That's usually how the petrodollars roll.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a gentle reminder to keep off political/religious discussions here.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like luxury hotels to give prior warning about street closures from construction, democracy movements, etc or fire alarm drills so I could make alternative choices ahead of time. There's nothing worse than checking in and finding an announcement that fire drills will be done randomly on 3 days of a stay.

I don't want compensation but prior notice would be nice.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:50 pm

My first thought was that they were Orthodox Jews.

I've been to a hotel (I really hesitate to call it a resort) where someone was having an event. The hotel had Shabbat elevators running and one pool for each sex. It wasn't a big deal.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Or why didn't they just buy out the whole Maui resort? That's usually how the petrodollars roll.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this thread (lots of great details and discussion) >
11 named - including maui = sheraton (508 rooms)
2 not named

st regis bali owner does not own w bali >
rajawalipropertygroup.com/ourportfolio.html

FT practices might vary, recently from SPG mod >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post27985673

Originally Posted by bigmerv
what if any actions you had taken?
what would be reasonable to ask for?
could always use more detailed discussion, which is separate from specific hotels/brands

problems such as these can/do happen at best hotels/brands

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bigmerv
I would be interested in your thoughts on the following scenario.

I'm in the middle of a weekend break at a 5* European hotel. When I got back to the room after dinner last night, there was a note from the GM stating that one of the two pools was closed for the day (for the next day) for a private function, which equally means that one of the two restaurants is also closed. This was the first time I had been made aware of the closure.

It is inconceivable that the hotel management does not appreciate the inconvenience that their actions have caused, but they have chosen to maximise revenue over the comfort of their guests - who made their booking on the basis of the available facilities. This is not a case of a minor wrinkle - 50% of the available leisure facilities have been closed in a hotel at full occupancy, on a weekend.

I've read on here many stories of similar closures for weddings etc, and was wondering what if any actions you had taken? Is it worth complaining and if so what would be reasonable to ask for? After all, they are hardly going to cancel the private party...however, I am a firm believer that hotels should not be able to get away with service failures while charging high prices (we are paying £500+ a night).
If 50% of the facilities are not available, I would expect 50% reduction on the room rate for that night/day.

Originally Posted by awayIgo

I post a lot on TA. Hotels can NOT have negative reviews removed. They CAN have reviews removed that are against the guidelines. Hotels know the guidelines like you know the back of your hand. If your negative review violated guidelines they report it. Nothing an be appealed on the owners forum. If you went less than 1 year ago, rewrite, post on Support forum and other members will catch why you may have broken the guidelines.
Not necessarily true. We had a report on the Marriott forum where someone posted a negative review & the property tried to get it removed, stating the reviewer hadn't stayed there. The reviewer provided a copy of his folio to TA showing he had stayed there & they re-instated his poor review.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's been a Flyertalk tradition as far back as I can remember to name names when reporting on a bad situation. Isn't it only fair to help other flyertalkers avoid getting caught in a similar mess at the same hotel? To me, that's what being a member of this community is all about.

I'm not speaking as mod here, but I do wonder if this thread is really going to be helpful to FT members if it just continues as a collection of gripes about unnamed places.
I agree that properties should be named, both when they're being praised & when there are problems.

It's how a property reacts to problems that determine whether one should stay there. A property might have a difficulty & handle it poorly, which puts it on the don't stay there list as management doesn't care. However, a property might have a difficulty & the staff really try to fix it/make it the least disruptive/address the concern, in which case it stays on the list because they tried to do the right thing/they do care.

But one doesn't know which is which if the property name isn't mentioned.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Funny...I am following this thread and now at the SLS Los Angeles and found out at 10PM the night before that the pool is closed today (Sunday) for a private event. A bit of a shock, as I felt like we should have been told at registration (9AM) or when we received keys to the room (5PM, which was late but they did comp drinks/apps). Offer now is a r/t car transfer to the W in Westwood (15-20 mins). Disappointing since it is always nice to have in/out access to the room.

About to have breakfast and check out this W pool. Already made a complaint to the hotel and had AMEX FHR agent note it, when I explained the issues to the front desk, they indicated that the pool area was reserved two to three days ago and was surprised I didn't know.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patchan8984
Funny...I am following this thread and now at the SLS Los Angeles and found out at 10PM the night before that the pool is closed today (Sunday) for a private event. A bit of a shock, as I felt like we should have been told at registration (9AM) or when we received keys to the room (5PM, which was late but they did comp drinks/apps). Offer now is a r/t car transfer to the W in Westwood (15-20 mins). Disappointing since it is always nice to have in/out access to the room.

About to have breakfast and check out this W pool. Already made a complaint to the hotel and had AMEX FHR agent note it, when I explained the issues to the front desk, they indicated that the pool area was reserved two to three days ago and was surprised I didn't know.
They should refund and just let you stay at the W with best suite available? No way I'd go 15-20 mins drive for a pool. That's a crap offer. Someone dropped the ball on you patchan.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patchan8984
10PM the night before

front desk, they indicated that the pool area was reserved two to three days ago and was surprised I didn't know.
some notified earlier >
Originally Posted by bhrubin
They did notify me about a week ago.
i wonder re asking management when booking, and closer to arrival
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:50 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

We had booked a trip to two of the Amans at Bali (kila and nusa) a couple of years ago. 3 nights nusa followed by 5 nights kila if I remember correctly. We wanted to save the best (kila) for last. A couple of months before going, we were contacted and informed about a wedding taking place at kila during the time we had booked. We were not in any way forced, but kindly asked if we would be willing to change the order of our stays, i.e. kila first and then nusa. In return we would be upgraded from lowest category villa to pool villa (which happened at both hotels, not just kila) which we happily accepted.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by Aventine
They should refund and just let you stay at the W with best suite available? No way I'd go 15-20 mins drive for a pool. That's a crap offer. Someone dropped the ball on you patchan.
Sounds like bhrubin was there when we were.

SLS provided:

1. W cabana for use (which was nice, but they didn't tell us explicitly we would get one, probably to discourage guests who weren't planning on using it anyways?). W worked for what we needed it for, but it wasn't the same as SLS. Cold fries and double charged for drinks were fixed, they were understaffed, but super nice.

2. SLS let us credit the $100 credit to the room since we ate/drank at the W pool.

3. Car transfers were in the house 7 series, waited half an hour for our ride back.

4. Hotel keys didn't work when we got back to the room, but they re-made them and extended our checkout to 6PM.

We just took it in stride and relaxed. To be honest, service was actually very good (sim to bhrubin's review), especially from Tres restaurant and the F&B manager (Roy Gerards) and his team...

We have to go back again to try dinner at SAAM .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.