Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket, Thailand, Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
There is a resort called the Nai Harn in the far south of Phuket. It's a good four star option, and a Leading Hotels of the World member. It actually began its life a long time ago as Mandarin Oriental Phuket, before Amanpuri or any of the subsequently built resorts existed. It has a nice location.

But, in my opinion, the best location is the Northwestern part of Phuket, where resorts like Trisara and Anantara Layan are located.
Thanks for your detailed response but my question was directed at the location of the new rosewood Phuket ?

Any insights on this ? Is it per the article or per google maps ?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:57 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys does anyone know if the rosewood phuket in the "largely undeveloped southern part" of Phuket as described in this article ?

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the-rebirth-of-phuket

Or is walking distance to Patong beach as seen in google maps ?

Cheers
Not much in the south is undeveloped. It's right in the midst of it all.

I wouldn't say it's really walking distance, but Patong isn't far.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Thanks for your detailed response but my question was directed at the location of the new rosewood Phuket ?

Any insights on this ? Is it per the article or per google maps ?
You said undeveloped far south. Rosewood is not even remotely in an undeveloped area, not is it the "far south" of the island.

Rosewood does look nice though. It is on my list to try.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:42 am

You said undeveloped far south. Rosewood is not even remotely in an undeveloped area, not is it the "far south" of the island.

Rosewood does look nice though. It is on my list to try.
Thanks to the recommendations of the folks here, I'm booked for the Rosewood in November. They will be opening early for us apparently, though the villas are not ready by then.

I'll try to report despite my inactivity here.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by Tenk
Thanks to the recommendations of the folks here, I'm booked for the Rosewood in November. They will be opening early for us apparently, though the villas are not ready by then.

I'll try to report despite my inactivity here.
Very much looking forward to hearing about your stay
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nizar, googlemap. lots of discussion of inaccuracies in "articles" here.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Amex Delta Skymiles,One World,Star Alliance,Air China Phoenix Skyteam.
Patong use to be my favorite beach till a few years ago when they removed all the beach chairs and umbrellas. If you like to go "stand" on the beach its ok. I go to Pattaya now cheaper and beach chairs with umbrellas.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Very much looking forward to hearing about your stay
Unfortunately, we got cancelled on by Rosewood due to a delayed opening. They are projecting late November - December.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by GotogoBob
Patong use to be my favorite beach till a few years ago when they removed all the beach chairs and umbrellas. If you like to go "stand" on the beach its ok. I go to Pattaya now cheaper and beach chairs with umbrellas.
Somewhat unrelated, but I was surprised to learn that Pattaya is a very popular beach destination for Thais / locals.

Originally Posted by Tenk
Unfortunately, we got cancelled on by Rosewood due to a delayed opening. They are projecting late November - December.
That's too bad. Did you reschedule? I was eyeing Phuket for February and might give Rosewood a go.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:46 am

Somewhat unrelated, but I was surprised to learn that Pattaya is a very popular beach destination for Thais / locals.
It certainly is, but that is more because it offers a lot of entertainment/nightlife, and is an easy drive away from many places, including Bangkok. I actually like going there. It’s definitely not a luxury destination, but has a few acceptable four star hotels.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:58 pm

It certainly is, but that is more because it offers a lot of entertainment/nightlife, and is an easy drive away from many places, including Bangkok. I actually like going there. It’s definitely not a luxury destination, but has a few acceptable four star hotels.
Would you rank Hua Hin or Pattaya higher, if you had to choose only based on beaches? I ask because they both are situated conveniently from BKK.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:29 pm

Would you rank Hua Hin or Pattaya higher, if you had to choose only based on beaches? I ask because they both are situated conveniently from BKK.
Hua Hin is the more relaxing destination, while Pattaya is a nightlife/entertainment destination. Hua Hin probably wins on beach quality, but honestly neither destination has great beaches.

If you want a relaxing place, and don’t mind swimming in a pool instead of in the sea, then Hua Hin could be nice. Or, if you want the Pattaya experience, the InterContinental property there is not bad in the newly renovated suites (at least relative to the nearby competition).

With easy, frequent, and inexpensive domestic flights available, I would actually advise going down to Koh Samui, Krabi, or Phuket if you have that option. Or, driver farther than Pattaya to get to Koh Samet, where Paradee is a nice little resort.
0bsidian likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 26, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:02 pm

Hua Hin is the more relaxing destination, while Pattaya is a nightlife/entertainment destination. Hua Hin probably wins on beach quality, but honestly neither destination has great beaches.

If you want a relaxing place, and don’t mind swimming in a pool instead of in the sea, then Hua Hin could be nice. Or, if you want the Pattaya experience, the InterContinental property there is not bad in the newly renovated suites (at least relative to the nearby competition).

With easy, frequent, and inexpensive domestic flights available, I would actually advise going down to Koh Samui, Krabi, or Phuket if you have that option. Or, driver farther than Pattaya to get to Koh Samet, where Paradee is a nice little resort.
Thanks - have been to Hua Hin (as well as Phuket, Krabi and Samui) but not to Pattaya.

I've also heard good things about Koh Samet, definitely on my list to try out.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:19 pm

Thanks - have been to Hua Hin (as well as Phuket, Krabi and Samui) but not to Pattaya.

I've also heard good things about Koh Samet, definitely on my list to try out.
There’s also Koh Kood (Soneva Kiri) and Koh Chang farther south!

In my opinion you should have the Pattaya experience at least once. It’s a fun place, but just don’t go expecting “luxury.” Pattaya pairs well with Koh Samet, as you can stop there along the way.

In Pattaya, hotel options include InterContinental (probably the best, if suite/club level/villa), Avani (formerly Marriott, Avani is a newer brand from Minor), and Dusit Thani. More or less acceptable four star level options.

Pattaya is a place that has a lot of seedy night life in certain places, noise, garbage, and traffic jams. But it can also be a lot of fun. It just is not where to go if you want a beautiful, relaxing beach vacation.
0bsidian likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:51 am

Has anyone stayed at Rosewood Phuket yet?

Currenlty planning a Phuket vacation and would love to know how the Rosewood is shaping up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.