FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Help me choose 3 days in AUH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1844791-help-me-choose-3-days-auh.html)

Development May 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Help me choose 3 days in AUH

Avid fan of this forum and the expertise here. I have to be in Abu Dhabi for three days on business. Am torn between Rosewood and the Fairmont. Rates are fantastic for junior suite at the Rosewood and it seems all suites come with access to the Manor Club. Relatedly, anyone have thoughts on how the Rosewood's Manor Club compares to typical RC lounges or better Marriott lounge in Asia? I would also look at a suite with Gold lounge access at the Fairmont. I also see great rates for the Shangri-La but it seems (at least years ago) that this hotel is to be avoided even with lounge access. Trip will be in July so very hot. Looking forward to your collective wisdom and thanks!

reigndrop May 27, 2017 4:08 am

Without doubt, stay at the Rosewood. Service is a much better and facilities are very nice.

At the Rosewood, you're next to the Galleria, which has shops and restaurants and you're much closer to town central. Fairmont is okay and a ways away from everything except for the Grand Mosque.

uggboy May 27, 2017 8:01 am

Thinking about hotels in Abu Dhabi, we might would equally choose the Rosewood, there's also the Four Seasons which is located opposite the Rosewood, when given a chance maybe incl. the Emirates Palace, Jumeirah at Etihad Towers or the Bab Al Qasr Abu Dhabi in your selection.

May we can ask why the Shangri-La Qaryat Al Beri Abu Dhabi is seen in this forum more often than not as a lesser hotel against the others?

Overall, enjoy your stay and visit to this fascinating city.

Please let us know your choice of hotel and you might report from your experiences after your stay here in this thread.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Kagehitokiri May 27, 2017 8:13 am

check rates at new FS, opened may 2016
rosewood soft opened mar 2013 - MacMyDay, jonjparr, others positive here
fairmont opened oct 2009 - vuittonsofstyle, others positive prior to rosewood

rosewood, FS, PH, RC are government owned

jp-mco May 27, 2017 9:15 am

Without a shadow of a doubt - Rosewood. Either there of FS is where I stay when on business. It's nice to be on Al Maryah island with the amenities the Galleria Mall offers.

stargold May 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Rosewood. In my opinion, one of the best VFM luxury options you're going to find around. Summer brings the rates down to early USD100s per night, and if you book through FHR, you get most of it back as property credit!

I even prefer the Rosewood slightly over the FS, despite the FS being much newer. They've done something a bit strange with the decor at the FS and it looks a little stark, uneasy and uninviting. Rosewood is much more soothing and comfortable.

Plenty of top notch F&B in the nearby area too. Zuma, Coya and Nusr'Et are all top of their game (not part of the hotels), whilst the two hotels' F&B are also generally decent.

Neither the Fairmont nor the S-L count as meaningful alternatives in my eyes, especially if you need to be near the Corniche end of town for business.

Development May 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Really appreciate the input all. Rosewood looks like the strongest contender, as others said best VFM. Anyone have experience with the Manor Club at Rosewood?

aa213bb May 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Oh, I completely disagree. We absolutely loved our stay at the FS. Beautiful lobby, and interesting artworks abound.

NikonDuser May 29, 2017 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Development (Post 28368433)
Really appreciate the input all. Rosewood looks like the strongest contender, as others said best VFM. Anyone have experience with the Manor Club at Rosewood?

the manor club is a bit like a medium sized restaurant (in fact it occupies the space of the former Indian restaurant at the hotel). IMHO very good value for money (if you like snacks and a few beverages in between).
some of the soft goods at Rosewood are a bit dated and the FS is obviously much newer and I also like that one. Value for money though the Rosewood can't be beaten.

Development May 29, 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by NikonDuser (Post 28372918)
the manor club is a bit like a medium sized restaurant (in fact it occupies the space of the former Indian restaurant at the hotel). IMHO very good value for money (if you like snacks and a few beverages in between).
some of the soft goods at Rosewood are a bit dated and the FS is obviously much newer and I also like that one. Value for money though the Rosewood can't be beaten.

Thanks for this input. Could you please tell me a bit more about what soft good are a bit dated? Did you enjoy the Manor Club, when you write it is a bit like a restaurant do you mean it is busy with lots coming and going or pay for service?

Agreed the FS looks lovely but the price for Rosewood cant be beat, especially having the Manor Club access with suite bookings.

NikonDuser May 29, 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Development (Post 28374390)
Thanks for this input. Could you please tell me a bit more about what soft good are a bit dated? Did you enjoy the Manor Club, when you write it is a bit like a restaurant do you mean it is busy with lots coming and going or pay for service?

Agreed the FS looks lovely but the price for Rosewood cant be beat, especially having the Manor Club access with suite bookings.

You can see it on the headboards above the beds, the armrests of armchairs etc - you know the areas where generally every guest touches the fabrics. It isn't very bad, but of course the same at the FS is brand new and untouched.

As far as the manor club, what I meant to say is that it's a very good size - some hotel lounges are very small. It has a billiard table, chess set and some books. Food and beverage was nice and it wasn't overrun with people.

Kagehitokiri May 29, 2017 12:00 pm

re rosewood suite >
$322 exec suite looks great, after 3rd free
curious what full board rate includes at aqua

FS rates may vary more?
$276 exec suite after 4th free which includes >
Guaranteed check-in 8:00am check-out 4:00 pm
house car may be bookable

spideysense Jun 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Emirates Palace Abu Dhabi

Planning on staying there for a night while in transit. Anyone pay for the Coral room and get a Virtuoso upgrade to a suite?

I’ve visited it a few times for dinner but never stayed there. I’m usually at the St. Regis, but I thought I’d check it out for a change. Apparently, the pools and beaches are pretty empty, which I like.

vuittonsofstyle Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

On Al Marya Island, Four Seasons is so far ahead of Rosewood that it is barely comparable. They are joined via the Mall there - one hotel at either end. Both near the new Louvre, although FS is a bit nearer.

reigndrop Jun 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 29866531)
On Al Marya Island, Four Seasons is so far ahead of Rosewood that it is barely comparable. They are joined via the Mall there - one hotel at either end. Both near the new Louvre, although FS is a bit nearer.

on what basis are you making that comment?

breakfast: crust vs Aqua = push
rooms = four seasons because it’s newer
Views = rosewood, views of al maryah, Saadiyat and the louvre from water facing rooms
pool = rosewood, much larger, more chairs and more shaded areas. There’s a solarium for more sun if that’s what you crave
food and beverage = slightly nod to four seasons with butcher and still and cafe Milano although to be honest between rosewood and four seasons, choices each offer complement the islands offerings
Brunch: four seasons, small but quality offering with kid friendly activities, Rosewood is high quality but less desirable options

both hotels are quite equal, you won’t be disappointed with either and anyone will be happy with whichever one they choose