Wiki Posts
Search

Great Stay at Amanera

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry i was unclear, my emphasis was on "then offering"
also comparing to rate increase for inclusions at giri and puri
(& possibly rate decreases for less inclusions at several in asia)
(& at FS/etc - increase rates before FSPP 2nd nt free offer)

agree re (new) hard product, views, pools, size vs yara
also new nera ownership, possible economic trends
aman still fixed rates, but adjusting a lot more now

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:50 am

Does anyone know who the current GM is at Amanera? I'm looking for this winter and wanted to ask a few questions.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Does anyone know who the current GM is at Amanera? I'm looking for this winter and wanted to ask a few questions.
GM is Xavier Moulin. He was on site when I was there in May (at least I assume he was because Roland Fasel visited during our stay) and I saw not a peep of him... but if it follows usual Aman trends its [email protected]. I had good help from one of the reservations agent if you'd like their contact info...

FDW
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
GM is Xavier Moulin. He was on site when I was there in May (at least I assume he was because Roland Fasel visited during our stay) and I saw not a peep of him... but if it follows usual Aman trends its [email protected]. I had good help from one of the reservations agent if you'd like their contact info...

FDW
Thanks Doc, I definitely would like the res agent as well, any good contact is always valuable.

From your review, I had assumed that Xavier was moving on. I may have misread that though.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:44 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

After a quick 5 night stay here in May, here are some thoughts:
  1. Service was as good as any Aman we've been to, and better than most.
  2. The ocean is rough. Swimmable, but not without effort. We were told it was less rough early in the morning, but did not find this to be the case. Maybe at other times of the year it is less rough.
  3. Beach, however, is lovely and pristine. Perfect for walking (and as it's quite long, these can be decent walks).
  4. Food was very solid.
  5. Villas were lovely. Loved the fact that they were basically glass boxes. However, while privacy is decent, it is not great. Especially in the outdoor areas. Part of this is because all of the vegetation has not grown in yet, and part of it is because some of the villas are just close to each other.
  6. The AC in the villa struggled. Fine at night, but could not keep the room really cool during the day. See 'glass box', above.
  7. Main pool is really spectacular.
  8. The fact that the spa is on the golf course is a pain. You have to get into a car, exit the resort, then get back into a buggy to drive into the golf course. Spa treatments were excellent, however. I had heard the gym was also at the golf course, but it has now been moved to the resort itself.
  9. And speaking of golf, not our thing, but the course is closed until November.
All in all, a great stay, and we'd happily go back again. Nice that our rate included all meals, because food was pretty exorbitantly priced (even for a 5 star).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 17, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xracer
After a quick 5 night stay here in May, here are some thoughts:
  1. Service was as good as any Aman we've been to, and better than most.
  2. The ocean is rough. Swimmable, but not without effort. We were told it was less rough early in the morning, but did not find this to be the case. Maybe at other times of the year it is less rough.
  3. Beach, however, is lovely and pristine. Perfect for walking (and as it's quite long, these can be decent walks).
  4. Food was very solid.
  5. Villas were lovely. Loved the fact that they were basically glass boxes. However, while privacy is decent, it is not great. Especially in the outdoor areas. Part of this is because all of the vegetation has not grown in yet, and part of it is because some of the villas are just close to each other.
  6. The AC in the villa struggled. Fine at night, but could not keep the room really cool during the day. See 'glass box', above.
  7. Main pool is really spectacular.
  8. The fact that the spa is on the golf course is a pain. You have to get into a car, exit the resort, then get back into a buggy to drive into the golf course. Spa treatments were excellent, however. I had heard the gym was also at the golf course, but it has now been moved to the resort itself.
  9. And speaking of golf, not our thing, but the course is closed until November.
All in all, a great stay, and we'd happily go back again. Nice that our rate included all meals, because food was pretty exorbitantly priced (even for a 5 star).
glad to hear your stay was solid. I thought service there was definitely solid and had potential so glad that things have really really improved (not that it was bad). Contrast that to Amanyara where things have really stagnated. Moulin must be doing something right.

Agree re: the ocean. That’s one place that disappoints a bit; especially since the water at Amanyara is so nice. Having that long beaches for walks was equally great. Really enjoyed walking to the other end for local food in the beach.

The golf course is still closed? That’s crazy. It’s been closed for a long long time. There is access to golf course from resort; so it is possible to go directly from resort to golf course to spa. At least I thought. When we were the the gym was in the main area though; did they’ve move it?

thanks for the update!

fdw
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

The golf course is still closed? That’s crazy. It’s been closed for a long long time. There is access to golf course from resort; so it is possible to go directly from resort to golf course to spa. At least I thought. When we were the the gym was in the main area though; did they’ve move it?

No longer possible to go directly from resort to golf course via buggy. I guess because of the work they are doing on it. Was told that the resort would close later in the summer and then would re-open again when the golf course was open - sometime in November.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The AC in the villa struggled. Fine at night, but could not keep the room really cool during the day. See 'glass box', above.
Thanks so much @xracer, for this new summary.

But NO, NO, NO. The Caribbean summer heat and humidity at a brand new resort, and the air con can't keep up in the very pricey villas? I don't think so.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks so much @xracer, for this new summary.

But NO, NO, NO. The Caribbean summer heat and humidity at a brand new resort, and the air con can't keep up in the very pricey villas? I don't think so.
I like cool too, but don't really care much during the day. Villa was never hot, just not as cool as it could be. During the day that is - once the sun went down, it was plenty cool in the villa.

But I agree this is odd for a new resort. And during our time there we were in two different villas - both of which had the same A/C behavior.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Is resort closing for a couple of months beginning mid-August? I don't see any availability from Aug 15 till Nov 1
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was originally scheduled to be closed sep 16-30 only
jun still low season (sep 1-15 and oct were low as well)
FHR 4th free through dec 19th (direct 5th free incl 2019)

perhaps new owner waiting on residences to expand spa

Service was as good as any Aman we've been to, and better than most.
vs your stays at amanzoe (and amanoi) ? wow. GM was 'renewed'
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
vs your stays at amanzoe (and amanoi) ? wow. GM was 'renewed'
Better than Amanzoe and equal to Amanoi.

I was honestly surprised at how good the service was, given the location.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unbelievable considering how you described those service experiences, wow

fantastic news to see some great reports right now under external hire GMs

hopefully new owner is solid, and looking forward to delivering for residences

re amanoi, sad if it peaked (so far) at opening. hope zoe gets a good buyer..
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:27 pm

We just left a few days ago from a 5 night stay, and COMPLETELY agree with xracer.

I should note that we booked the Seasons of Discovery (5th night free, meals included) via the Citi Prestige, to get an added 4th night free. Still, it is pricey. That being said ...

Service was wonderful. Truly. I was shocked, especially as it is the Caribbean (i.e. an environ notorious for ”island time” service). Not only was it wonderful service, in terms of efficiency, but people were truly warm and welcoming.

The casita design is truly stunning. “Glass box” is the perfect descriptor, and by the end we’re thinking of requesting Heah to design a house for us (this is - somewhat - tongue in cheek). We absolutely loved it.

The water is beautiful, and the beach nice (and long, as pointed out. Great for walking). We really enjoyed our swims, but are quite comfortable in bigger swells. One big tip I would give - if you walk down the beach 10 minutes or so (by the second house that is almost completed, as of 6/18) you find a much more shallow and placid area to swim.

We found the food, almost without exception, quite good. Portions are (for us) LARGE - we ended up sharing a fair amount. The chef, Antonio, actually does some Italian quite well (shocker, he’s Italian), and was so accommodating for off menu requests ... whether Dominican (which was fantastic), or Italian (we had a very special Italian meal with a beautiful table set up upstairs in the bar ... completely unrequested, and so thoughtful).

I’d also like to highlight the pastry chef, who makes wonderful breads, ice creams, sorbets, pastries, etc. I was shocked at the quality, to be honest.

I will agree that the F&B prices are high - and in some cases shocking. $30+ cocktails, at a beach destination, particularly rubbed me the wrong way. I’m not looking to have a “Spring Break” experience, but after Tax & Service charge they are all $30+. And, for an island known for Rum, I was surprised at how few rum drinks were on the menu, though of course they may be ordered off-menu.

The main pool is nice, but we only took a dip once ... which leads me to my BIGGEST tip: I feel it is IMPERATIVE here to get a Casita with a pool. I honestly cannot fathom coming here without one.

Our days ended up becoming a steady routine of coffee in the villa, time at the beach, an afternoon in our pool, relaxing, going up to the “Casa Grande” to enjoy afternoon tea, back to the room to enjoy the pool, and then dinner - we had them in the casita a couple of times, at the restaurant a couple of times, and the special meal up at the bar.

I do not play golf, but can confirm the course is closed until November. I can also confirm the property is shutting down for maintenance and what-have-you from late August to Oct/Nov (we were contemplating a Labor Day return).

Lastly, again, xracer nails it - our A/C constantly said 17, but there’s no way it was there. Not an issue, for us, as it was cool enough at night.

All-in-all, it was one of our favorite Aman stays. I was pleasantly shocked at how much we loved it, minor quibbles aside. I wish it was easier to get to from the West Coast, but were I on the East Coast I’d happily make it a regular retreat.
FlyerEC, callmedtop and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by aa213bb; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.