Wiki Posts
Search

Great Stay at Amanera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m curious: what’s the occupancy like for these most recent stays described herein? I get the idea that it’s less than 50%...with so many people describing unoccupied villas adjacent to theirs.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m curious: what’s the occupancy like for these most recent stays described herein? I get the idea that it’s less than 50%...with so many people describing unoccupied villas adjacent to theirs.
When we checked in on Wednesday they told us 40%, it has picked up a little since Friday (noticed a few groups I’ve not seen) so I guess 5-60% now?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fc912
When we checked in on Wednesday they told us 40%, it has picked up a little since Friday (noticed a few groups I’ve not seen) so I guess 5-60% now?
Originally Posted by Fc912
I agree with everything that has been said recently; this is a great property and probably the most “Aman”-like out of the four North American (including Caribbean) properties.
I'm beginning to think that "most Aman-like" almost requires the property to be at lower occupancy. I've repeatedly insisted that the reason why some of the most celebrated Asian Amans have such great records of sterling service is actually because they were always at 30-50% occupancy--including all of our stays in Asia over the past 10 years. It's a lot easier to deliver personalized service when your property is at half occupancy.

I'd argue that Amangiri, with some of the highest, if not the highest, average occupancy of any Aman property in the world, is more Aman than even the Asian counterparts. Our stay at Amangiri was at 100% occupancy--and we still loved it. I think that's why we place Amangiri higher in our estimation than so many others. Reviews may be suffering from false equivalency.

I suspect many of these "more Aman-like" properties operating at well less than full occupancy wouldn't be nearly "as Aman-like" when they are closer to 100% occupancy.

OTOH, I’m delighted to know that when Amanera is at lower occupancy—as would be expected now during hot and muggy hurricane season—the service and experience is to such a wonderful standard.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 23, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 great detailed reports posted quickly, thanks all !

26 bedroom nera is 6th smallest aman, until residences

of 24 casitas, 12 no pool (only wella, ruya, zoe are all pool)
1536 / 2112 / 2240 / 2752 entry (xmas is $782 less vs yara)
2304 / 2688 / 2816 / 3264 entry pool
incl fees ; before 5th (incl 2019) / 4th free (dec 19 2018)
virtuoso and FHR 4th free exclude jul 2-4 and nov 22-24
season of discovery 5th free exclude nov 21-25 and apr 18-21
holiday rates actually good value vs how high elsewhere in area
first 2019 low is may 17 > jun 30 excluding may 23-26
low might include sep 1-15 and oct (previously published 2018)

some parents here prefer no pool vs 'child-proofed' pool

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2018 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I'm beginning to think that "most Aman-like" almost requires the property to be at lower occupancy. I've repeatedly insisted that the reason why some of the most celebrated Asian Amans have such great records of sterling service is actually because they were always at 30-50% occupancy--including all of our stays in Asia over the past 10 years. It's a lot easier to deliver personalized service when your property is at half occupancy.

I'd argue that Amangiri, with some of the highest, if not the highest, average occupancy of any Aman property in the world, is more Aman than even the Asian counterparts. Our stay at Amangiri was at 100% occupancy--and we still loved it. I think that's why we place Amangiri higher in our estimation than so many others. Reviews may be suffering from false equivalency.

I suspect many of these "more Aman-like" properties operating at well less than full occupancy wouldn't be nearly "as Aman-like" when they are closer to 100% occupancy.

OTOH, I’m delighted to know that when Amanera is at lower occupancy—as would be expected now during hot and muggy hurricane season—the service and experience is to such a wonderful standard.
Haven't been to Amangiri, and while I do agree it is tough for Amangiri as it is one of the Amans operating at the highest level of occupancy, but I think the reviews from here tell you all you need to know - I think your stay was the exception rather than the rule, low occupancy or not. The place is absolutely stunning, and there is the "American vs Asian" service standard to account for, in addition to the expectation (Aman, Asia) that most come in with. Even with that in mind, it does point to your stay being an exceptional case.

Aman Asia WAS often at low occupancy, but Amankila, Amanpulo et al have also consistently (not always - no hotel is perfect all the time, 100% of the time after all, but fairly consistently) delivered time and again, even at full or close to full occupancy. Amanpulo is actually close to full occupancy on most dates between Christmas to Easter, followed again by any long weekend in Hong Kong + first week of October. The only time it runs on very low occupancy is the period in between that, when weather may also not be as nice. When we were at Amanpulo, it was at full occupancy for all the casitas except treetop pool and some of the villas were unoccupied. Amanjiwo was also at close to full occupancy during our stay there. Amanoi was also running at a very good occupancy during our stay. They can deliver, even during high occupancy

Now that Amanusa has closed (and with the more attractive Undiscovered Indonesia rates at USD 550/night++ for low season), Amankila also runs at much higher occupancy than before. Amanjiwo is actually one of the best Indonesian/Southeast Asian Amans performing Amans for occupancy.

Amanpuri is perhaps the exception here but that's partly due to its absolutely enormous size. It went way out of hand when they built the extra villas back in around 2011.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Do the regular rates here not include breakfast? Looking at a booking for next week and it does not show anything included besides the room.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Do the regular rates here not include breakfast? Looking at a booking for next week and it does not show anything included besides the room.
Our stays have always included breakfast but which Amans are you looking at ? We are at Galla now and if you wish , can check for you .
Do not book through AMAN ( or their ) website ! Email the specific property , preferably the GM , EAM or HM .
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Our stays have always included breakfast but which Amans are you looking at ? We are at Galla now and if you wish , can check for you .
Do not book through AMAN ( or their ) website ! Email the specific property , preferably the GM , EAM or HM .

Amanera

Was just looking at the options. Will ask the property.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Amanera

Was just looking at the options. Will ask the property.
or book through a virtuoso agent... that'll get you breakfast...

FDW
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Activities

Is Amanera a decent choice for surfing or snorkeling/diving?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:07 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beta1607
Is Amanera a decent choice for surfing or snorkeling/diving?
the beach that Amanera is on is good for surfing I believe. It’s not a calm beach at all so the snorkeling is not really that good at all...

not sure what the dive options are nearby.

fdw
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:14 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Agreed with FDW above!

Not ideal for snorkeling.

They do have some calm spots where you can paddle board but it's much rougher than Amanyara (much better for snorkeling/diving).

Going back to Amanera this summer! Can't wait
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Agreed with FDW above!

Not ideal for snorkeling.

They do have some calm spots where you can paddle board but it's much rougher than Amanyara (much better for snorkeling/diving).

Going back to Amanera this summer! Can't wait
Did you make this trip? Your post was the last on Nera and that was Jan of 2020!

I am considering this property but the A/C does give me pause and there have not been any reports in a long time. Before that they were sounding pretty solid. Hopefully the vegetation has grown a bit since these last TR's. I want privacy even more so if we have a pool. I need a room at 68F. Is there a time of year when the ocean is calmer there? I would love to see another Aman in the Caribbean. Any recent stays?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:46 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Did you make this trip? Your post was the last on Nera and that was Jan of 2020!

I am considering this property but the A/C does give me pause and there have not been any reports in a long time. Before that they were sounding pretty solid. Hopefully the vegetation has grown a bit since these last TR's. I want privacy even more so if we have a pool. I need a room at 68F. Is there a time of year when the ocean is calmer there? I would love to see another Aman in the Caribbean. Any recent stays?
I did make the trip.

My last visit was July, 2020. It was actually a bit better than I had remembered from my first stay. Audrey is the current GM and has been there for a few years now.
I text her about my clients' stay and she's always very responsive as is her team. No complaints on my end from what clients have shared with me.

The food might have declined a bit in comparison but I felt the Mexican and some Peruvian dishes were still good. Just maybe avoid the western dishes as it's average. We stayed in Casita #3 which is the Bay View Pool Casita. Privacy was great and probably my favorite location on property as it's on the front row. Two Bay View Pool Casitas, a Two Bedroom Casita and the Amanera Casita are all on the first row.

I'm not really aware of time that the water is calmer enough to make a huge difference.

I've had 3 sets of difference clients check out over the past few weeks.
I have clients visit just about every month or so I have a pretty good pulse on the quality and it doesn't seem to have declined since my visit.
1 of the 3 clients entered their stay once they were on site.

My experience with Amanyara has changed a lot so now I really favor Amanera as the Caribbean Aman. But it just depends on what you're looking for. As always.

Here's my detailed review:
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Thank you so much for posting this review. It was very helpful and solidified my choice. Definitely want a pool suite.
BESVISOR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.