havent you paid a lot more for suites? but obviously primarily for eastern US
26 high end bedrooms, huge beach with only tiny 'hotel' at the other end
everything is a tradeoff, not to mention construction/staff costs elsewhere

banyan tree and six senses are very different, even FS seychelles/samui larger
whatever happens with aman, brand will retain unique property scale
some care about it, others dont. some like its low occupancy, others dont

zoe is part of porto heli, whereas nera only sold 1 2BR and maybe few other
part of why ruya is closed may because of construction/operating costs
Yes I did and I will do. Will also mist likely pay Aman rates. Nevertheless I see this sceptical.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes I did and I will do. Will also mist likely pay Aman rates. Also angry about my ex-wife that she let me stay at Six Senses Ninh van Bay instead of Amanoi. Nevertheless I see this sceptical.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

So glad to read your report. When you walked down the beach did you eat at the local place that serves you on the beach and which person did Aman recommend? Did you look at Playa Grande Beach Club(http://www.playagrandebeachclub.com/) when you were down at that end? I have been on that beach many times and the ocean does lay down often and is flat and calm.
Did they really do the swan towel on the bed at turn down? I learned that in 1980's hotel school and just hated it. I loved that Amanresorts did not do the type of thing they teach in Swiss hotel schools. I hope table tents are not coming soon in the bar.
Lounge chairs around the pool, are they set up with towels and cushions, or do you arrive at the pool and they bring that out? How bout around your suite pool, do they set up your lounge chairs with towels?
Old May 19, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm not sure the dynamics at Amanyara but it seems that most of the staff is imported. I hate to say this but the only local staff we encountered was at breakfast and they were horrible...
That's what we experienced also. This is why the GMs at 'Yara import the help from 'Pulo et al. But I wouldn't use the word 'horrible'. I would use the phrase 'non-existent' to describe the service. I'd also add 'sneering'.

The problem at 'Yara is similar to Bora Bora. There just isn't enough population base to staff the resorts properly at the pay the resorts can pay.

Off topic: Did they get the flies under control at 'Yara?
Old May 19, 2017, 8:03 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I do highly recommend Mukul. The only thing against Mukul is the challenge in reaching it. But it's a steal of an experience once you're there compared to any Aman or high end villa cost at any comparable resort in Hawaii, Mexico, or the Caribbean.

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...ont-villa-1215
They're doing a great summer promotion too. Rates are incredible.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

I also think that they wouldn't want to position themselves as too much competition to Amanyara... the hard product is already better; if they offerred a private pool with every room type then moreso...

FDW

Yea especially with the regular crowd. Know a few who used to do Amanyara multiple times each year - now they've all switched over to Amanera.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hotels will (and should) charge whatever the market will bear. That's capitalism. That's the way it has to be. If Amans can charge premium rates and people pay them and the hotel sells out, then the hotel isn't overcharging...regardless of what we otherwise may think. Supply AND DEMAND are the important items here that you are forgetting. For good...or bad.
So by that definition, the Asian Amans wildly overcharge based on the paltry 30% occupancy rates throughout the year, even with their low-season rates.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by zigzag
Did they really do the swan towel on the bed at turn down? I learned that in 1980's hotel school and just hated it. I loved that Amanresorts did not do the type of thing they teach in Swiss hotel schools. I hope table tents are not coming soon in the bar.
I immediately spotted the 'swans' on the bed and the petals in the bath - amazingly tacky stuff and not Aman at all. I also thought some of the food looked a bit iffy. Otherwise a nice-looking property and thanks for the thoughtful report and photos.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
everything is a tradeoff. if all pool, higher rates. see zoe (and giri?) peak, they could charge even more because they sell out. seems yara sells out a lot too.

FlyingDoctorwu continues to note comparative advantages of nera and (so far) aman

original dolphin plans had (small?) beach pool and zoe style cabanas (and huge main pool) also dropped to 24 pavilions from 36>40
Really wish they had a beach pool.. they do have a very shallow wading pool, almost like a kids pool in front of the restrooms... seems like kind of a wasted space though.. wish they had done something more substantial...

I like room rates starting lower without a private pool.. it gives you something to upgrade into..

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sure! But with the prices they charge (you need definitively humor) a pool should be included. Sometimes it seems they think they can write every rate on the tag and people will pay. As people pay understandable and I would do it too. But at some point I´m out.

Indeed
I think $1100 is their starting low season rate.. maybe I'm jaded, maybe I'm out of touch but I don't think that that's a terrible starting rate for a new build Aman... I think Amanyara starts more...

Originally Posted by zigzag
So glad to read your report. When you walked down the beach did you eat at the local place that serves you on the beach and which person did Aman recommend? Did you look at Playa Grande Beach Club(http://www.playagrandebeachclub.com/) when you were down at that end? I have been on that beach many times and the ocean does lay down often and is flat and calm.
Lounge chairs around the pool, are they set up with towels and cushions, or do you arrive at the pool and they bring that out? How bout around your suite pool, do they set up your lounge chairs with towels?
we dd walk all the way down there... Amanera didn't recommend any place in particular but we ate at #20 (are there really different restaurants, or different guys selling from same restaurant).. it was quite good; however, the beach vendors were pretty aggressive.... we didn't go back into the Playa Grande Club though.. Good to hear about the ocean sometimes laying flat...

The swan towels were one night for our "romantic turn down" I know it's a little cliche and cheesy but it's also cute in that retro kind of way.. Do note that Amanyara also did the same for their romantic turn down as well..

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That's what we experienced also. This is why the GMs at 'Yara import the help from 'Pulo et al. But I wouldn't use the word 'horrible'. I would use the phrase 'non-existent' to describe the service. I'd also add 'sneering'.

The problem at 'Yara is similar to Bora Bora. There just isn't enough population base to staff the resorts properly at the pay the resorts can pay.

Off topic: Did they get the flies under control at 'Yara?
Maybe I misspoke about the service at Amanyara; I think your description is much better..

It seems like there are less (maybe zero?) resorts nearby Amanera; maybe that will halp them have less competition (plus maybe their attitudes want get tainted...)

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yea especially with the regular crowd. Know a few who used to do Amanyara multiple times each year - now they've all switched over to Amanera.
I can see why.. hard product at Amanera is leaps and bounds past Amanyara; plus it does seem to be actually cheaper for what you get... impossible almost to get a view of the ocean and a pool at Amanyara

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I immediately spotted the 'swans' on the bed and the petals in the bath - amazingly tacky stuff and not Aman at all. I also thought some of the food looked a bit iffy. Otherwise a nice-looking property and thanks for the thoughtful report and photos.
Yeah it was a little over the top... the "romantic turndown"... but a nice gesture... Lunch and breakfast food was the best; dinner only ok (and the iffy looking photos is probably my phone)...

FDW
Old May 20, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also some here with small children have said they prefer no private pool

re beach plan i posted above, i saw floorplans, but cant remember where

all your photos look great to me, thanks again for taking/uploading a lot

impossible almost to get a view of the ocean and a pool at Amanyara
and that is not an exaggeration >
1 pavilion, 5 villa (2 ocean, 1 beach sala, 1 artist, 1 6BR)
looking at reservations, some villas are occupied a lot
believe 1 pavilion cant be checked / booked on web

re yara capacity, villas have about 80 bedrooms total

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Just looking in instagram at some pictures of Amanera. Ocean looks totally flat now. Guess I missed better ocean weather by a couple of weeks!

fdw
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Just looking at some things...
They are doing a Season of Discovery Package (very similar to the one at Amanyara)
-3 nights food inclusive
-5 nights food inclusive+one free night
-7 nights food inclusive+one free night+ massage inclusive

Prices next year are really a bit higher..basically 50% more than what I paid in 2017 for the equivalent time period.. Seems tough considering that their occupancy wasn't terrible high (35% maybe?)....

FDW
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might become like yara with half/full board all the time except holidays

sounds like rate increase then offering that, very dependent on chefs

but both can be an experiment and they can change based on result

US FHR 4th free
nera - may 16 > jul (blackout may 26,27,28 jul 1,3,4)
when offers arent repeatable, could combine direct with amex/etc
before 2014 there was report of repeating (3x) direct yara offer

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

might become like yara with half/full board all the time except holidays

sounds like rate increase then offering that, very dependent on chefs
Definitely a rate increase. Same exact package (Romance at Amanera)... My dates the rooms started at $1100 plus tax; next year they start at $1650.. wonder if they adjusted rates based on the differences in hard product versus Amanyara....

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.