Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip to France planning

Trip to France planning

Old May 13, 17, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Trip to France planning

Going to Paris in the fall for 5 nights then looking to stay a few nights in Champagne region, on to Alsace and then Strausburg.

Virtuoso and FHR brings up a few options but looking for more to choose from. Want to be centrally located to fine Champagne houses and near wineries in Alsace, being in country, not in the cities although smaller towns ok. Budget about $600 per night.

Options in those areas?
Old May 13, 17, 12:23 pm

Chateau les Crayeres - including a meal at their divine restaurant - in Reims

Le Bouclier d'Or in Strasbourg (not luxury, but we enjoyed it)

Le Chambard, a R&C in Kaysersberg (Alsace)

Hostellerie La Cheneaudiere, a R&C Spa hotel a bit W from Alsace, if you're looking for some R&R to break it up.
Old May 13, 17, 2:34 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Chateau Les Crayeres
Old May 14, 17, 12:58 am

Alsace is my favourite region of France - beautiful scenery, gorgeous villages, luscious wines. The main centre of Colmar is spectacular and the village of Riquewihr is pure timber-framed fantasy. There are several good hotels and restaurants in the region but for me the absolute stand-out is in Illhaeusern - the Hotel des Berges and its restaurant, the legendary Auberge d'Ill, probably the best and prettiest restaurant I have ever been to.
Old May 14, 17, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Chateau Les Crayeres
Yes. It's in Reims, so you're very close to a bunch of champagne houses.

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Alsace is my favourite region of France - beautiful scenery, gorgeous villages, luscious wines. The main centre of Colmar is spectacular and the village of Riquewihr is pure timber-framed fantasy. There are several good hotels and restaurants in the region but for me the absolute stand-out is in Illhaeusern - the Hotel des Berges and its restaurant, the legendary Auberge d'Ill, probably the best and prettiest restaurant I have ever been to.
Yes again. This restaurant has been at the top for decades. It's beautiful.
Old May 14, 17, 9:20 am

If you're in the Reims, I think the best champagne house tour is offered by Pommery. They do a Cuvée Louise tour (their vintage more prestige wine) and it's sensational. We stayed in Reims for my batchelor party and spent the days out in the city and also in Epernay doing tasting.
Old May 21, 17, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Any other suggestions? Chateau Les Crayeres was my top choice but could only get first two nights of 3 needed. Not really finding anything that wows me. Chateau de Fere, with the adjacent ruins looks pretty good, anybody stayed there? L'Assitte Champenoise looks decent but I'm not sure ideally located. Getting somewhat frustrating.

My wife didn't like Hotel de Berges seeing it online. I thought it looked great. Restaurant a must. She booked the Sofitel in Strasbourg, Grand Ile I think it was called. Anyone stayed there?
Old May 21, 17, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might ask hotel/management re 3rd night

maps of R&C properties might be of use >
https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/de...lsace-lorraine
https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/de...aris-champagne
Old May 21, 17, 4:42 pm
Original Member

In Paris, it's important to abide in a hotel with super splendid cocierges. For that, I recommend Le Bristol whose concierges have, readily available, all sorts of premium seating and entry for museums, concerts, attractions. The best advice, too.
Old May 21, 17, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

We are good in Paris, that's the easy one thank you. Prince de Galles I decided to try, on SPG points. Was staying 4 nights but with 5th free I added that of course. That's what's creating my inflexibility after that and I"ve got airline travel done to Paris already
Old May 25, 17, 5:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, WoH, Leaders Club, slh, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
We are good in Paris, that's the easy one thank you. Prince de Galles I decided to try, on SPG points. Was staying 4 nights but with 5th free I added that of course. That's what's creating my inflexibility after that and I"ve got airline travel done to Paris already
If you are interested to stay one night in Versailles visiting Versailles Castle I would recommend to stay one night at Trianon Palace (The concierge sells tickets for Castle entrance to avoid the queue at the ticket counter). It is a superb property directly located at the entrance to Versailles gardens (Trianon entrance), flagged "Waldorf-Astoria". 4* plus or something but I always felt like being in a luxury hotel. Gordon Ramsey 2* Michelin restaurant and a second restaurant (same kitchen) where we had dinner often and felt very well. Get a Palace building room instead Pavillon. Breakfast is excellent, believe me. Many good French People stay and celebrate in this iconic property. Not expensive compared to what you get. If you have Gold or Diamond status with Hilton you get cocktail/champagne vouchers for the bar. Have afternoon tea in the lobby hall with macarons. The rooms are nice, some with chimney, the bathrooms as well. They are many rooms with bigger bathrooms with showers, ask for it.
Old May 25, 17, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by submonte View Post
If you are interested to stay one night in Versailles visiting Versailles Castle I would recommend to stay one night at Trianon Palace (The concierge sells tickets for Castle entrance to avoid the queue at the ticket counter). It is a superb property directly located at the entrance to Versailles gardens (Trianon entrance), flagged "Waldorf-Astoria". 4* plus or something but I always felt like being in a luxury hotel. Gordon Ramsey 2* Michelin restaurant and a second restaurant (same kitchen) where we had dinner often and felt very well. Get a Palace building room instead Pavillon. Breakfast is excellent, believe me. Many good French People stay and celebrate in this iconic property. Not expensive compared to what you get. If you have Gold or Diamond status with Hilton you get cocktail/champagne vouchers for the bar. Have afternoon tea in the lobby hall with macarons. The rooms are nice, some with chimney, the bathrooms as well. They are many rooms with bigger bathrooms with showers, ask for it.
We've stayed there, in 2001. I think it was a Starwood property then, can't recall. We did quite enjoy it although I can't recall the details. Did 3 nights at the Ritz in Paris and then 1 or 2 there. Did make Versailles very convenient, that was one of the last things to see in Paris. This trip will be more eating, drinking and shopping with a couple museums or spots that aren't the typical tourist spots.

I'd forgotten its harvest time when we are going, hence the difficult reservations. I'm having doubts we should go at this time, might decide to do something else. I haven't booked return flight so have some flexibility. I wonder if harvest time will mean not being able to get into restaurants, tours etc. Thoughts on that?

Ended up booking the Chateau Les Crayeres for three nights, just have to change rooms on last night to a pricier room. Alsace is done too so we are set if we decide to do these spots after all.
Old May 26, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, WoH, Leaders Club, slh, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
We've stayed there, in 2001. I think it was a Starwood property then, can't recall. We did quite enjoy it although I can't recall the details. Did 3 nights at the Ritz in Paris and then 1 or 2 there. Did make Versailles very convenient, that was one of the last things to see in Paris. This trip will be more eating, drinking and shopping with a couple museums or spots that aren't the typical tourist spots.

I'd forgotten its harvest time when we are going, hence the difficult reservations. I'm having doubts we should go at this time, might decide to do something else. I haven't booked return flight so have some flexibility. I wonder if harvest time will mean not being able to get into restaurants, tours etc. Thoughts on that?

Ended up booking the Chateau Les Crayeres for three nights, just have to change rooms on last night to a pricier room. Alsace is done too so we are set if we decide to do these spots after all.
Trianon Palace was a Westin before Starwood sold it to Hilton, and before eventually part of Luxury Collection if I am not wrong.

Can´t say anything about harvest time. Have been often in France during all seasons and never had Problems with reservations and so on.

By the way why don´t you try next time Normandy i.e. Deauville/Trouville which are picturesque towns at the Atlantic coast. In Deauville you can stay at Belle Epoque style Hotel Royal (Lucien Barriere/LHW) or Hotel Normandy (also Lucien Barriere) both practically beach resorts. I´d also recommend Dinard (Grand Hotel Barriere) in Bretagne or Honfleur near Le Havre which is so beautiful (stay at Ferme Saint Simeon, a Relais & Chateau hotel).
Old May 26, 17, 4:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by submonte View Post
Trianon Palace was a Westin before Starwood sold it to Hilton
one if the few hotels which don't often communicate it's star-rating......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: