Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Welcome / Greeting ceremonies, process

Welcome / Greeting ceremonies, process

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Well, I'll buck the trend and say that I really quite like the welcome, dancing, drumming and flower garland if - and ONLY if - the ceremony is:

1. short
2. doesn't involve my participation in any way - including any kind of conversation about my flight, my plans, the weather or the hotel

What I really loathe is the phone call 20 minutes after check-in to find out if everything's ok. To be polite, after a long flight the one thing I'm really looking forward to is some private time in the bathroom (hence the need for the welcome to be short) and I'm not in any position to be answering the phone. Just leave me in peace!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I'm an introvert and absolutely detest the slightest fuss on arrival. I don't want to chat about my journey, tell you how I am, hear about the property, discuss what i want to do, be walked to my room, or even give up my luggage to the bellman if I don't have to. The dream is to walk into the lobby, pushing my own luggage, be handed a key and pointed to the lift and left alone until I initiate contact. It sounds like the FS HK would be perfect.

When I traveled solo to the Maldives I even went as far a choosing my hotel to minimize the chances of an awkward welcoming ceremony.

Most people who work in hospitality are extroverts and so will never get it
KatW, FlyerEC and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

And the question "how was your flight?". I just really do not understand why they have to ask it. It was a flight, something one has to do as a punishment to get to a destination, something I really dislike also when flying business class, something I have no wish whatsoever to talk about, something that made me tired and now I just want to forget about it!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Musken
And the question "how was your flight?". I just really do not understand why they have to ask it. It was a flight, something one has to do as a punishment to get to a destination, something I really dislike also when flying business class, something I have no wish whatsoever to talk about, something that made me tired and now I just want to forget about it!
I like arrival interactions to be kept to a minimum, unless I ask questions.

I actually enjoy flying. There are some annoying questions, but I just answer to briefly exchange pleasantries.

Four Seasons tends to have less intrusive interactions by default, whereas Ritz-Carlton training emphasizes more proactive/friendly interactions. In both cases these styles aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. Some people find Four Seasons “cold,” while others do not like staff to initiate small talk the way they do at Ritz-Carlton and at some other hotel groups.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 23, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:09 pm

Kokomo Private Island makes you stand and watch a Fijian concert that lasts twice as long as your stay. You will have no choice but to extend. It's scientifically proven to be the perfect way to start a holiday after a 12 hour flight from LAX on an airliner without a lie-flat bed.
MikeFromTokyo, ctrlf and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Kokomo Private Island makes you stand and watch a Fijian concert that lasts twice as long as your stay. You will have no choice but to extend. It's scientifically proven to be the perfect way to start a holiday after a 12 hour flight from LAX on an airliner without a lie-flat bed.
Could’ve been worse: Turtle Island forced us (on our 2nd stay no less) to hear a presentation about their local school, get pitched for donations after trying to make us feel guilty, and then tour the entire island before bringing us to our bure. You’d love it.

Did I mention their bures have no air con?

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cdric
I am not a huge fan of welcome ceremonies either.
The nicest one was Amanbagh.
I usually agree with everyone, but the crazy royal welcome at the Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur absolutely goes down as our favorite of all time. It was very impressive and extraordinarily memorable even if it a bit longer than I might have preferred.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 23, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be good to talk to properties in advance

does not matter how nice airplane is when they have limits re things like air quality, and not all airports have VIP services

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Umaid Bhawan Palace is the sort of place where you want to bring friends and family who deserve to be wowed, because its just an astounding experience from start to finish, one of the very best Ive ever had. After one dinner, a friend turned to me and said, And I thought no one could top Aman for creating unique experiences.

...Diwali, the Festival of Lights, because the GM creates an incredible experience for his guests to celebrate.
Arriving at the Oberoi Udaivilas by night was the most jaw-dropping hotel arrival experience I had ever had. (Id yet to experience the arrival at FS Tented Camp) Upon exiting the vehicle, you enter a world of torchlit courtyards, candelit domes
1. Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur): 10 out of 10.
2. Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace (Jodhpur): 10 out of 10.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So yesterday, I had a 5 hour flight SFO-EWR followed by a 12.5 hour flight EWR-DEL and a 30 minute car ride to the Leela Palace (Delhi).

The LAST thing I wanted was someone to daub something on my forehead, put a lei around my neck, and direct me to sit in the lobby while they went through their check-in bureaucracy (and it being India, that always takes time). Why can't they do in-room check-in, especially for club level rooms? They didn't even offer water while waiting. Fortunately, I was able to turn down the hotel welcoming tour but the employee still tried to sneak bits of it in.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Yikes, RichardInSF.

You have to wonder if the luxury hotel industry has conducted any competent research into what might seem like a very simple notion: how to welcome a guest.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So yesterday, I had a 5 hour flight SFO-EWR followed by a 12.5 hour flight EWR-DEL and a 30 minute car ride to the Leela Palace.

The LAST thing I wanted was someone to daub something on my forehead, put a lei around my neck, and direct me to sit in the lobby while they went through their check-in bureaucracy (and it being India, that always takes time). Why can't they do in-room check-in, especially for club level rooms? They didn't even offer water while waiting. Fortunately, I was able to turn down the hotel welcoming tour but the employee still tried to sneak bits of it in.
Unfortunate they made you wait and I certainly know they usually do in-room check-ins. Around what time did you arrive? Used hotel limousine service?

I wonder if Louis Sailer is still GM, he did a remarkable job so far!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Unfortunate they made you wait and I certainly know they usually do in-room check-ins. Around what time did you arrive? Used hotel limousine service?

I wonder if Louis Sailer is still GM, he did a remarkable job so far!
I arrived at 10:30pm and did use the hotel limo service. Allegedly there is also "butler service" for this room level and haven't seen that make any difference so far except briefly one briefly showed up once at check-in but didn't offer to do anything.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I arrived at 10:30pm and did use the hotel limo service. Allegedly there is also "butler service" for this room level and haven't seen that make any difference so far except briefly one briefly showed up once at check-in but didn't offer to do anything.
Thats not good. Im thinking of staying there for a trip in a few weeks. Might have to reconsider
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Has anyone experience with objecting? Along the lines of: I apologize but my long day of travel has exhausted me. Please take me to my room now and complete check-in there.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Has anyone experience with objecting? Along the lines of: I apologize but my long day of travel has exhausted me. Please take me to my room now and complete check-in there.
I tried that too but it was ignored.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I tried that too but it was ignored.
That's discouraging.

How about -- I'm very nauseous, please take me to my room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.