FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Maldives hotel recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1835939-maldives-hotel-recommendations.html)

moebod Nov 17, 20 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux (Post 32825286)
Would you fly to a domestic airport and then take a speedboat? If so that'll open up some options.

For example, the Nautilus- you can do with a domestic flight and then a 30 minute speedboat.

chinmoylad Nov 18, 20 12:39 am

I foudn the domestic flights to be far worse an experience than a standard seaplane flight, nevermind a Cheval Blanc-like one.

gchap17 Nov 18, 20 3:28 am

Originally Posted by YClass (Post 32825163)
Any thoughts on the best hotel accessible by short boat ride from Male (or indeed any international airport)? My other half is claustrophobic so seaplanes and ATRs are an issue......

My guess would be Como Cocoa Island (though I'm not convinced by the rooms) or the new Waldorf.... any other suggestions?

In an ideal world would be at Cheval or Velaa.....

I agree probably Cocoa Island, but in case you want a different option I very much liked the Two Bedroom Ocean Pavilion at Huvafen Fushi. Overall the hotel is very nice albeit not in the "luxury" conversation, but that category of room (there are two) is right out at the end of a jetty (see the satellite view on Google Maps) so you have complete privacy. You can even go snorkelling naked..... I'm told.

ChateauMargaux Nov 18, 20 4:50 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 32827490)
I foudn the domestic flights to be far worse an experience than a standard seaplane flight, nevermind a Cheval Blanc-like one.

Can you expand - which flight / when / how often have you taken these?

Also not really the point here. OP does not like small, seaplanes due to their size. For example, if I have a constant fear of Land Rover/Jaguars spontaneously catching on fire, I'm going to take a regular taxi to the Rosewood instead. It doesn't mean I think taxis give a better experience.

YClass Nov 18, 20 5:55 pm

Thanks for feedback. Nautilus sounds interesting though I think being a long-haul international flight probably going to limit to Male and transfer. I'm super keen on CB but might be too much of a headache! Its an annoying thing to deal with....

chinmoylad Nov 19, 20 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux (Post 32827701)
Can you expand - which flight / when / how often have you taken these?

Twice.

The domestic planes as I recall aren't that big anyway - they're small aircraft too (obviously bigger than a seaplane though).
The overall experience, including the actual seats etc is no more or less comfortable than a seaplane - and certainly doesn't compare to a Cheval Blanc seaplane. And of course the lounges aren't anywhere near as nice as a good resort's.

Bear in mind they're also more prone to delays (like regular planes - not including any weather conditions) vs seaplanes which I don't believe go through much in the way of general delays.

But yes, take the OP's point on an arbitrary issue I suppose - it's weird those work sometimes with regards to reference points or arbitrary cut offs.
Just pointing out with regards to comfort, it's a far more comfortable journey taking a seaplane - personally, I don't see much difference with regards to seaplane (size) vs a small domestic plane. But others' mileage may vary there...

ridefar Nov 19, 20 8:33 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 32829897)
Twice.

The domestic planes as I recall aren't that big anyway - they're small aircraft too (obviously bigger than a seaplane though).
The overall experience, including the actual seats etc is no more or less comfortable than a seaplane - and certainly doesn't compare to a Cheval Blanc seaplane. And of course the lounges aren't anywhere near as nice as a good resort's.

Bear in mind they're also more prone to delays (like regular planes - not including any weather conditions) vs seaplanes which I don't believe go through much in the way of general delays.

But yes, take the OP's point on an arbitrary issue I suppose - it's weird those work sometimes with regards to reference points or arbitrary cut offs.
Just pointing out with regards to comfort, it's a far more comfortable journey taking a seaplane - personally, I don't see much difference with regards to seaplane (size) vs a small domestic plane. But others' mileage may vary there...

I have taken them twice too. I agree with all your points re comfort. I would add the reason we elected for the local flight rather than the seaplane is that they can fly at night. So if you have a very late international departure from Male and the resort is OK with a late departure, you can stay at the resort until 6 PM and still catch your international flight. As opposed to being at the whim of the seaplane operator scheduling (if you have been there you know what I mean) and leaving the resort at 2 PM.

Passportinonehand Nov 19, 20 9:27 am

Seats on a domestic flight are far more comfortable than those in a regular seaplane. Anyone who says otherwise hasnít flown both.

While some personalised seaplanes have more comfortable seats (think Soneva or Velaa), the noise and the heat on those seaplane are still far worse than on any domestic flight. Havenít flown in the CBR one though.

oceanscape Nov 20, 20 2:44 am

Staying at different resorts on a Maldives trip

We are looking to stay one night at SAii Lagoon Maldives before moving over to Conrad for 7 nights.

I can't get reward availability at Conrad for our first night but can get a promo rate for SAii at under $150 inc.

Does anyone see any issue with this? I know I will have 2 lots of transfers to pay for, but the SAii boat transfers are $148 each so I'm still looking at about $450 all-in for 1 night with the transfers, which is still much cheaper than paying for an extra night at Conrad which will be over $1,300.

I assume there are no COVID-19 restrictions that would prevent this idea? Anyone think we are crazy to do this and should just pay the extra and go straight to Conrad?

SojournsOf Nov 23, 20 1:42 am

Lots of people island hop. Easiest when the resorts are in the same atoll. For only one night though I wouldn't bother, it's not like SAii is special.

BESVISOR Nov 23, 20 7:59 am

For anyone thinking of island hopping at the moment...

There are rules that discourages this but it can be done.

I've had a number of clients in Maldives in recent weeks and some have visited 3 resorts in one go.
I've asked my contacts at the resorts to help them arrange the necessary paperwork to make it as painless as possible. So it's fairly easy on the guests.
However, if the resort you are leaving from has a COVID breakout/case, then you are stuck on that resort until it's cleared.
You will just have no idea if it's going to work out until the day before/of the transfer to new resort. I think the risk is fairly low but just something to keep in mind and might weigh on you throughout part of your stay.

m3red Nov 23, 20 10:45 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 32838352)
For anyone thinking of island hopping at the moment...

There are rules that discourages this but it can be done.

I've had a number of clients in Maldives in recent weeks and some have visited 3 resorts in one go.
I've asked my contacts at the resorts to help them arrange the necessary paperwork to make it as painless as possible. So it's fairly easy on the guests.
However, if the resort you are leaving from has a COVID breakout/case, then you are stuck on that resort until it's cleared.
You will just have no idea if it's going to work out until the day before/of the transfer to new resort. I think the risk is fairly low but just something to keep in mind and might weigh on you throughout part of your stay.

what do they do with you if you test positive?

Ive booked six senses for march but fancy a 3 week stay!

Passportinonehand Nov 23, 20 11:33 am

I stayed in 3 different resorts the last 2 weeks. It was a painless process. The resorts arranged all the paper work. Right before checkout our temperature was taken by the in-house doctor and we had to answer some questions. Thatís it...

When it comes to testing positive in a resort, youíll have to quarantine for 14 days in your villa. You have access to your terrace and pool as well, but not to the ocean in front of your villa (donít know what the limit is with beach villas). You have to pay for the room rate and will get close to 0 service. No housekeeping is allowed in and all meals will be delivered on a tray and put in front of your villaís front door. Most resorts will offer f&b at 50% off.

BESVISOR Nov 23, 20 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 32838769)
what do they do with you if you test positive?

Ive booked six senses for march but fancy a 3 week stay!

Passportinonehand has answered really well above!

The only difference is that some resort will offer discounts on extended stay due to COVID quarantine and some won't.
A few of my Maldives partners/resorts gave me a discounted room rate in addition to discounted F&B (similarly to mentioned above) to extend to clients in case we had to deal with a 14 day quarantine. This was very helpful and gave a peace of mind to clients!

m3red Nov 24, 20 1:52 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 32839415)
Passportinonehand has answered really well above!

The only difference is that some resort will offer discounts on extended stay due to COVID quarantine and some won't.
A few of my Maldives partners/resorts gave me a discounted room rate in addition to discounted F&B (similarly to mentioned above) to extend to clients in case we had to deal with a 14 day quarantine. This was very helpful and gave a peace of mind to clients!

ive emailed the SS to ask what the policy is so I can try and find some insurance cover...

The room with breakfast and transfer are already $11k. Not sure I fancy another 14 days!