FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Further reviews from 2018 and 2019 may be found in this now-closed thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1907886&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Maldives hotel recommendations

Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:21 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
No, they're considered pretty entry level - good 4.5 stars. I've had clients enjoy Veli but I wouldn't say it is 'luxury'. Naladhu might sneak into luxury for some. Niyama and Kihavah are a rung above Veli, but I think there are better choices.
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any good deals in the age of Coronavirus? I'd usually use points, but I'm curious if there are some deeply discounted cash rates that should be taken advantage of.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Martellus
Any good deals in the age of Coronavirus? I'd usually use points, but I'm curious if there are some deeply discounted cash rates that should be taken advantage of.
There are some promo's of course but Maldives is probably the most dense region in the world when it comes to 5* hotels with rates varying from below 1000 USD to several 1000' USD per night. Rates are also dependent on travel dates of course. If you are interested in Maldives I think it's best to have a look at your total budget and a list of resorts you would like to visit. Many promo's are also negotiated on a specific basis by TA's. At least until mid December 2020 there are a lot of hotels offering free half board, free nights, etc. Many resorts are only re-opening as we speak.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:39 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Martellus
For the luxury hotels, pretty standard (remember, Maldives is also one of the few destinations truly open) - most of these include half-board, guaranteed upgrades (One&Only and Joali) and more. COMO has an extra discount too.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 5:55 am

Any recent views on FS KH vs FS LG? I’m looking to go for 4 nights and while KH appeals from accessibility perspective, I’m worried about too much noise or light pollution at KH.

for context I’m traveling with a friend so looking for something polished and less families oriented. At KH, any feedback on the new Deluxe Beach Pavilions (i believe only 2 years old now)?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:35 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by yhm85
Any recent views on FS KH vs FS LG? I’m looking to go for 4 nights and while KH appeals from accessibility perspective, I’m worried about too much noise or light pollution at KH.

for context I’m traveling with a friend so looking for something polished and less families oriented. At KH, any feedback on the new Deluxe Beach Pavilions (i believe only 2 years old now)?
Book Maldives a lot but not at the FS properties. As much as I love FS and speaking as a FSPP Advisor/fan boy, I don't think it's the way to go for Maldives. There are so many more luxe options and I do think the best ones will require a seaplane. Some like O&O, which is accessible by boat but I hated my visit and while that is subjective, there are definitely tons of families there.

I'd take a look at Cheval Blanc, Joali (great promo), Velaa.
Polished these three are! Had/have 3 sets of clients at Joali just this week. 2 sets left very happy and another arrived just Thursday and loving it!

If being accessible by boat is a huge factor to you, I'd take a look at Gili as well. It's rustic and not for everyone. Many of the lower categories only have A/C in its bedroom but it was rebuilt last year after the fire and service is always good. Usually very fondly thought of by most who have been. But again, must like rustic.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:35 pm

Stayed at Gili before the fire and did enjoy it. Drawbacks at staying there was that it was across the bay from another resort that had many Russian revelers. Resorts that require a float plane to access will be quieter, than those that are reachable by boat.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:43 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by yhm85

If you're looking for something less family oriented, Four Seasons (a family luxury staple) is definitely not the way to go, and most certainly not KH which is speedboat accessible (and thus even more convenient for families).

As BESVISOR said, plenty of great options in the Maldives - Cheval Blanc, Joali and Velaa are good, both the COMOs as well - Cocoa Island (speedboat accessible) recently underwent a huge refurbishment.
If you're looking for an overwater villa rather than beach, also look at Kudadoo (all inclusive, and doesn't take on kids below a certain age as I recall. Very small though - both in key count and in size of resort - but when it's all inclusive and you have all you can spa and all you can enjoy activities...doesn't matter as much)
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Planning to go back to the Maldives next year. I think it is the most complicated luxury travel destination to choose the right resort out of the vast array of choices as there are so many variables like transfer type, cost, style, island size, number of rooms, surroundings, sand quality, diving, mosquitos, house reef, guest structure, noise, overall value etc.

Example: I love Gili (service, food, short transit time by boat, large OW villa) but you need to be aware of were your specific accommodation is located as with most resorts in the Maldives. PR pics usually don't show the eyesores that even exist in a perceived paradise! I love a Lagoon Villa away from Paradise Island facing the main restaurant in the distance. Best water and sand conditions (no stones and corals), great fish coming by your villa on occasion. A little noise exposure to boat traffic in the distance and by aircraft (both seaplanes and longhaul stuff) though. Didn't like the locations of the Residences and (in part) the other piers that much (lights, views, smoke/smell).

Just saw a more recent yt video of 4S LG and don't feel tempted to go there just based on layout and (IMO way outdated) style, esp. in light of their price point.

Love both COMOs and they have been my favs so far (with and without kid). Cocoa is great for a first stop to settle in for a few days, then moving on to Maalifushi by direct seaplane transfer. Both had and still have excellent management, service and marvelous food. After Cocoa renovations, Maalifushi even offers the best value for luxury/money-ratio now IMO.

Still wonder how the new Fari Islands development with three luxury resorts (Ritz-Carlton, Capella and Patina) will fare next year...(modern design, man-made islands with big names in architecture like Kengo Kuma and André Fu).
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:47 pm

We just came back from Joali and loved it: amazing hardware, everything feel luxurious, great rooms/spa/gym. service was good (not fantastic). Food in their three restaurants is good As well albeit I couldn’t see Wagyu any more by the time we left (spoils of half board). The whole place is beautiful and the setting in the Japanese restaurant is fantastic. Snorkelling directly from the rooms was good as well. My wife was pleased that there were hardly any mosquitos (they are spraying the island every evening).
The only negative is really the size of the place. 73 villas is a lot. They were at half capacity when we were there and I can only imagine how crowded the restaurants must be in high season.

We will definitely return, but are next going next to The Nautilus later in December.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Any thoughts on the best hotel accessible by short boat ride from Male (or indeed any international airport)? My other half is claustrophobic so seaplanes and ATRs are an issue......

My guess would be Como Cocoa Island (though I'm not convinced by the rooms) or the new Waldorf.... any other suggestions?

In an ideal world would be at Cheval or Velaa.....
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:52 am

Como

Are there any travel advisors that FT members have found to be particularly dialled in to the Como Maldives hotels?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by YClass
Any thoughts on the best hotel accessible by short boat ride from Male (or indeed any international airport)? My other half is claustrophobic so seaplanes and ATRs are an issue......

My guess would be Como Cocoa Island (though I'm not convinced by the rooms) or the new Waldorf.... any other suggestions?

Would you fly to a domestic airport and then take a speedboat? If so that'll open up some options.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:53 am

Como Cocoa is wonderful, but make sure that you are in at least a Loft Villa and nothing smaller. There is not much to do outside the usual water based activities, which is part of its' charm.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:59 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by YClass

I can understand that but I'd say that Cheval Blanc has the nicest / most comfortable seaplane in Maldives and some of my clients who absolutely hates seaplanes found it to be just fine.
If you're doing a week long stay or more, I'd say it's worth the inconvenience (of course I have no clue how severe the claustrophobia is) but CB's private plane will make it much more pleasant than the commercial ones.

By boat:
New Waldorf looks "meh!'. O&O has its fans but I found it to be sub par for Maldives and way too commercial.
FS KH is okay after the renovation. FS service and the hard product is okay but hardly in the same league as the best (C.B., Joali, Velaa, etc.)
Gili is great (esp. after rebuild) but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Especially if you need A/C in every room/area.

Nonetheless, hope you both have a great trip wherever you decide on!
I'm rebooked for Cheval, Velaa, Joali and Gili next summer. Until then, love seeing others traveling to Maldives

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.