FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Maldives hotel recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1835939-maldives-hotel-recommendations.html)

MikeFromTokyo May 17, 17 9:52 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 28323096)
Such a true story - was a fairly "dry" few days - my definition of dry is different than most.

I don't think I told you about my recent sushi shin experience - they thought we were mental when we ordered the second bottle of champagne at lunch! :D:D:D

:D:D:D

It seems great minds think alike;)

akiangel Aug 4, 17 1:03 am

Hi everyone - thank you so much for all the responses! I just realised that while I have logged in many times and browsed but have yet to properly reply and say thank you!

I was looking for something that's modern, elegant with finesse - so not those 'luxury' full of marbles, golden but rather a little underrated if you get what I mean.. I have to say though out of all of the recommendations I did like Reethi Rah the most...!

However, I also did not realise Maldives was expensive to this extent... so while I am glad I have got a lot of choices, I am not sure when I will be able to afford a week long trip there... looking at the price, I am probably looking at staying 2 nights max and then going for a cheap hotel for the rest of the trip :p

poohbear0218 Aug 4, 17 4:22 am

anyone been to kandolhu island? seems like a tiny island but with beautiful house reef, reminds me of Park Hyatt

Pausanias Aug 9, 17 11:53 pm

Looks like a lot of instability coming this way-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-40827633

DSI Aug 10, 17 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 28670645)
Looks like a lot of instability coming this way-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-40827633

You're far, far, far, far, far too well traveled to take travel warnings seriously. I'm sure my hometown is considered a war zone, which, I'm escaping whilst having a great meal in your hometown, at pollen, whilst the better half is at the bathroom

Five Star Traveller Nov 17, 17 12:33 am

Dhevanafushi is no longer a Jumeirah property. Now managed by AccorHotels. Will become a Raffles after a refurbishment next year.

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/31...luxury-resort/

zack14 Aug 12, 18 9:49 am

thanks for the recommendations

NYflyer1 Feb 9, 20 4:17 pm

Cheval Blanc Randheli Question

David, sorry to reply to an old post but you seem to be a travel pro and very knowledgeable re Maldives resorts. We’ve stayed at several — Cocoa Island, Kanuhura (when it was still O&O), Six Senses Laamu — and are thinking of returning with friends for festive season 2020. Everyone on the FT luxury hotel board (which I generally trust among other reasons because people there love Aman, which is my favorite hotel group in the world even post-Doronin) seems to love Cheval Blanc Randheli. What do you think of that resort, and do you know approx how much it costs during festive season? We would take three rooms/suites probably 12/26 or 27 to 1/2.

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 28167307)
Depends on what you want!

For "polished" luxury, go for Velaa Private Island or Cheval Blanc Randheli. One&Only Reethi Rah is of the polished variety of luxury but is a significantly larger resort.

For "Robinson Crusoe" casual luxury, go for Gili Lankanfushi.

Here are my reviews from March 2016.

DavidO Feb 9, 20 4:59 pm

NYFlyer,

I will PM you.

Short answer — Cheval Blanc is incredibly polished. The villas are incredibly spacious with very high cathedral ceilings.

Long answer: rates aren't coming up in the GDS, possibly because they don't load Festive Season rates, possibly because they're [already] sold out... plus, we don't know if they have minimum stay requirements, etc.

robruf Apr 27, 20 5:32 pm

I have been reading this forum and seeing all the great advice that many of you have been providing. I will be going to the Maldives at the end of September or beginning of October. I know not the ideal time, but I will be in Dubai for business before this and figured to add the Maldives for a quick 4/5 day vacation. Hopefully, as long as COVID-19 is done and we can all travel again. Never been there before, wondering what resorts would be ideal for someone that needs air conditoning for their room and meals. If the heat is similar to Punta Mita at the end of October, I will be sweating the whole time, I run very hot. I don't mind sweating during the day, but that is what the ocean/pool/shower are for. But I refuse to be sweating while paying for a $400-$700 dinner. This is why I enjoyed the St. Regis and eating at Carolina or at Four Seasons George V in the summer on a very hot day. We normally stay at St. Regis/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton or small excellent boutique hotels when we travel. Looking for great resort choices that have rooms that have a/c in bathrooms and bedrooms and restaurants that are a/c friendly as well. Don't mind either boat or seaplane for travelling, as well, would prefer to be an adults friendly or adults only resort that has great food, service, beach, and spa. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

DavidO Apr 27, 20 5:37 pm

Any of the top five star hotels in Dubai and the Maldives will be fully air conditioned, probably over-air conditioned! Check the link for the Virtuoso options, all of which come with Virtuoso amenities. Do you want something large or boutique, contemporary or with more traditional feel?

Originally Posted by robruf (Post 32329647)
I have been reading this forum and seeing all the great advice that many of you have been providing. I will be going to the Maldives at the end of September or beginning of October. I know not the ideal time, but I will be in Dubai for business before this and figured to add the Maldives for a quick 4/5 day vacation. Hopefully, as long as COVID-19 is done and we can all travel again. Never been there before, wondering what resorts would be ideal for someone that needs air conditoning for their room and meals. If the heat is similar to Punta Mita at the end of October, I will be sweating the whole time, I run very hot. I don't mind sweating during the day, but that is what the ocean/pool/shower are for. But I refuse to be sweating while paying for a $400-$700 dinner. This is why I enjoyed the St. Regis and eating at Carolina or at Four Seasons George V in the summer on a very hot day. We normally stay at St. Regis/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton or small excellent boutique hotels when we travel. Looking for great resort choices that have rooms that have a/c in bathrooms and bedrooms and restaurants that are a/c friendly as well. Don't mind either boat or seaplane for travelling, as well, would prefer to be an adults friendly or adults only resort that has great food, service, beach, and spa. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

robruf Apr 27, 20 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, I would be looking for something where it doesn't feel crowded. Preferably under 100 rooms, if not closer to 50 or less. As well, probably contemporary design as opposed to traditional, or if a resort merged the two together really well, that would also be a good fit. As I read here that Velaa doesn't have a/c in the restaurants and everything is open air design, that will not work for me at all. The Four Seasons in Punta Mita is like that and it took me about 30 minutes to stop sweating in their restaurant after having lots of ice cold water and being close to a fan!! And this was at Halloween when the humidity was getting better.

DavidO Apr 27, 20 7:11 pm

You’ll also want to avoid Six Senses (under-powered AC in the rooms) and Gili Langkanfushi open air living rooms and restaurants

Pausanias Apr 27, 20 8:45 pm

For Sep-Oct check that the resorts provide umbrellas . . .

LinLant Apr 28, 20 8:49 am

Como Maalifushi main restaurant that serves breakfast lunch and dinner is open air. I believe that the Japanese restaurant has both air conditioned and non air conditioned areas.