Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maldives hotel recommendations

Maldives hotel recommendations

Hide Wikipost
Old May 5, 21, 12:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RichardInSF
Wiki Link
Further reviews from 2018 and 2019 may be found in this now-closed thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
Can anyone recommend an easy/good overnight stay closer to the Male airport? We'll be staying at Park Hyatt and have a flight from MLE at 10am. Since we need to do internal flight transfer, we prefer to fly the day before and spend last night within boat transfer distance to the airport. current on the short list is Sheraton Full Moon that we can stay using Marriott points. Anything else that's better option (for cash or otherwise)? Since our flight is so early, we won't be able to really appreciate a very high end resort. just need something comfortable and serviceable.
Old May 24, 22, 11:19 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lerasp View Post
Can anyone recommend an easy/good overnight stay closer to the Male airport? We'll be staying at Park Hyatt and have a flight from MLE at 10am. Since we need to do internal flight transfer, we prefer to fly the day before and spend last night within boat transfer distance to the airport. current on the short list is Sheraton Full Moon that we can stay using Marriott points. Anything else that's better option (for cash or otherwise)? Since our flight is so early, we won't be able to really appreciate a very high end resort. just need something comfortable and serviceable.
There's a partial answer to this question on this thread:

Anywhere decent actually ON Male, Maldives?
Old May 26, 22, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
I'd do Sheraton Full Moon. The fact their rates include the boat transfer now makes it very reasonable, and certainly more preferable to staying on Male itself (whihc are guesthouses - perfectly fine but the Sheraton will be a significant cut above).

However, it also depends what time you'll arrive the day before. If it's anything after 3pm I'd just stay locally.
Old May 26, 22, 10:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
There's not much on Male itself that would really be deemed close to acceptable, except perhaps Hotel Jen and the name of another 3* type place that escapes me now.

As far as close to Male, Sheraton and Taj are your best bets and actually work just fine for that very purpose.
Old May 27, 22, 7:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Eyeing a 5 night trip to the Maldives for 2 adults in their late 20ís/early 30ís for later this summer and I wanted to get some thoughts on resort selection. With a hard total budget set at $18k, Iím finding that the most highly regarded resorts (Cheva Blanc, Velaa, Kudadoo, Nautilus) will just be too expensive for this trip.

For more context, Iíve never been to the Maldives and Iíve done quite a bit of my own research, what Iím seeking is just some differentiation amongst the resorts directly below the highest tier (some of which Iíve noticed would be: Joali, Soneva Fushi, O&O, Patina) I think most of those would fit the budget. No need to be perfectly precise on pricing, but if you were in my shoes, which resorts would you most strongly consider. My priorities are not too specific, just seeking a. relaxing, celebratory trip after a long year of work.

As an aside, I am US based, so given my budget, might you consider a closer destination. the Caribbean, Mexico, or another beach destination and then plan a Maldives trip when the budget allows me to book one of the top properties I mentioned above?

Thank you for any and all input in advance.
Old May 27, 22, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by threepointkid View Post
Eyeing a 5 night trip to the Maldives for 2 adults in their late 20’s/early 30’s for later this summer and I wanted to get some thoughts on resort selection. With a hard total budget set at $18k, I’m finding that the most highly regarded resorts (Cheva Blanc, Velaa, Kudadoo, Nautilus) will just be too expensive for this trip.

For more context, I’ve never been to the Maldives and I’ve done quite a bit of my own research, what I’m seeking is just some differentiation amongst the resorts directly below the highest tier (some of which I’ve noticed would be: Joali, Soneva Fushi, O&O, Patina) I think most of those would fit the budget. No need to be perfectly precise on pricing, but if you were in my shoes, which resorts would you most strongly consider. My priorities are not too specific, just seeking a. relaxing, celebratory trip after a long year of work.

As an aside, I am US based, so given my budget, might you consider a closer destination. the Caribbean, Mexico, or another beach destination and then plan a Maldives trip when the budget allows me to book one of the top properties I mentioned above?

I think 18K is a whole lot of $$ for 5 nights and long flights. You may want to take a look at this thread Mexico, my haven You may be persuaded to consider Mexico.
Old May 27, 22, 10:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
I think 18K is a whole lot of $$ for 5 nights and long flights. You may want to take a look at this thread Mexico, my haven You may be persuaded to consider Mexico.
Thank you! Yes, I agree it is a lot of $, but not enough to stay at the top properties. Lol!

Last edited by threepointkid; May 27, 22 at 10:45 pm
Old May 27, 22, 10:21 pm

Eyeing a 5 night trip to the Maldives for 2 adults in their late 20ís/early 30ís for later this summer and I wanted to get some thoughts on resort selection. With a hard total budget set at $18k, Iím finding that the most highly regarded resorts (Cheva Blanc, Velaa, Kudadoo, Nautilus) will just be too expensive for this trip.

For more context, Iíve never been to the Maldives and Iíve done quite a bit of my own research, what Iím seeking is just some differentiation amongst the resorts directly below the highest tier (some of which Iíve noticed would be: Joali, Soneva Fushi, O&O, Patina) I think most of those would fit the budget. No need to be perfectly precise on pricing, but if you were in my shoes, which resorts would you most strongly consider. My priorities are not too specific, just seeking a. relaxing, celebratory trip after a long year of work.

Check out Kandolu. We loved the intimate feel with only 30 villas and 4 a-la-carte restaurants with their all-inclusive plan. Trip report here with some pics.
Old May 28, 22, 10:11 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive

If you've never been to the Maldives, as long as you aren't landing late, I'm not sure it's worth flying all that way just to stay at a speedboat access resort (Patina, O&O etc), nice as they may be.
My pick would be JOALI from that one down list. Milaidoo is another one you may want to look into.
Old Jun 18, 22, 8:02 pm

Of the hotels mentioned on this thread, what is the most value for what you get in 2022 in your opinion?
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:46 am
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by incarbon View Post
Of the hotels mentioned on this thread, what is the most value for what you get in 2022 in your opinion?
If you want quiet then probably Bolifushi. If you want a jolly good time, I would look at Sangheli. I was there last month and had the best time in any resort in Maldives. I guess it depends on what you really want. It is also a speed boat transfer as it is in Male atoll. My opinion may differ from a lot of people here and you should take their views into consideration as most of them are probably tourists while I live there.
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:29 am

What was so great about Sangeli?
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:09 pm
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by yolie View Post
What was so great about Sangeli?
Top class service, very good activities and entertainment every day and night. Good food too. The island is kept clean and the staff wonderful. Good snorkeling too and good diving. Good water sports as well.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:39 pm

When I went 18months ago I did Waldorf-Joali ( thanks BeVisor) and One and Only . One and only was by war the worse and I would not recommand to anyone compare to the other 2

Search this Thread