Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maldives hotel recommendations

Maldives hotel recommendations

Hide Wikipost
Old May 5, 21, 12:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RichardInSF
Wiki Link
Further reviews from 2018 and 2019 may be found in this now-closed thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 10, 22, 2:11 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I think this discussion partly comes down to personal preferences and what you value most, right? One of the things I like least about FT/this forum is how so many people are only willing to accept absolutes.
I couldn't agree more.
I think it is important not to conflate the concept of RC being the most Aman-like property I've visited in the Maldives, with it being 'the best'.

Every client who comes to us looking for a Maldives stay is asked numerous questions in order to match them to their 'best resort'.
The list of potential candidates is extremely long these days.

Service during my stay at the RC was the best of any resort I've experienced in the Maldives.
The villas were designed by Kerry Hill and the finishes were extremely high quality, with an emphasis on ergonomics rather than over the top things like slides etc.

Hence the Aman comparison

I agree with the below comments by LikeMike83 :

1. Villas on the main pier are lacking in privacy, as are many overwater villas at other Maldives resorts (and many of the pavilions at Amanpuri)
2. F&B was average quality and overpriced (just like at Amanoi)

3. It's also a man made island which means the sand quality is low and there's no lagoon.

Is it my personal favourite resort in the Maldives? No.
Is it the best for people who want a lush and natural island with great snorkelling? No.

It is the most Aman like that I've stayed at? Yes.
Old Apr 10, 22, 4:01 pm

We are considering a 4 night stay at Kudadoo thanks to this forum. Is there any advantage of booking through an agent as opposed to booking through their website? I don't see this hotel listed on Amex FHR otherwise I would just book myself. Combining it with 6 nights at the Ritz Carlton.
Old Apr 10, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
I loved our stay at the Pullman. Just great inclusions and loved every moment of it.
Old Apr 10, 22, 9:56 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I had absolutely no issues island hopping. Not one resort asked for tests prior to arrival, nor did we have any tests in the country.

Re Ritz, I would not stay in an overwater here. They aren't well designed in my opinion. Even though the beach is exactly the same, the outdoor space of the beach villas alleviates the design issue - for the one bedroom water villas, there is essentially no space outside to get any sun, especially if you are sunrise side.

It didn't feel very Aman to me during my visit (lunch, site inspection). JOALI was much closer (IMO), but is a different proposition and I could feel this in terms of clientele there.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 12, 22 at 10:24 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by SojournsOf View Post
Re Ritz, I would not stay in an overwater here. They aren't well designed in my opinion. Even though the beach is exactly the same, the outdoor space of the beach villas alleviates the design issue - for the one bedroom water villas, there is essentially no space outside to get any sun, especially if you are sunrise side.
Patina also suffers from a number of serious design flaws in the overwater rooms.
There the issue was too much sun - nobody was out on their decks during the day because there was no shade in the West facing rooms.
Privacy was effectively zero, with even our neighbour's bathtub visible from the deck of our water villa.
A series of makeshift, Mad Max style awnings had been bolted onto a few of the water villas to add privacy.
Clearly though, this is a serious design issue that the architects didn't consider.

Beach villas are a significant improvement at Patina: with the addition of considerable outdoor space around the pool and an outdoor bathroom area, expanding on the compact bathroom of the water villas.

The fact that only staff could ride buggies on the piers and guests had to walk, was also a big problem at Patina.
Coming and going from our water villa was an ordeal every time.

It does feel like the tide is beginning to turn in the Maldives, many more people are requesting beach villas these days.
Increasingly, resorts have them as a higher category than water villas too.
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:53 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Agree re privacy at Patina. We did love having full sun all day though - I always go for sunset side. I never took a buggy in the Maldives over three weeks (except once at Soneva Jani late at night) - just used the bicycles.
Old Apr 12, 22, 6:58 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
JOALI BEING is a very interesting concept - first wellness focus in Maldives. Amazing facilities here and possibly a bit more elevated than JOALI in terms of luxury (but really, just a different design/decor)
Can you please shed a bit more light on this one? JOALI is a top seller, and I'm really struggling to see the type that would prefer to be at BEING instead (unless they're very health/wellness focused?).

Also a matter of should I STAY at both on my visit (keep being asked but not keen!)? I will definitely visit BEING from but from what I can tell, it's not for me.

Appreciated!
Old Apr 14, 22, 8:56 am

Hello
I would like to see if you can help me pick a resort before we head to the WA.

I see from the thread people recommend ozen and atmosphere a lot. I thought this was a no because it was in a man made island. Maybe Iím confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for all inclusive luxury resort
thanks
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:05 am
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by yolie View Post
Hello

I see from the thread people recommend ozen and atmosphere a lot. I thought this was a no because it was in a man made island. Maybe Iím confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Most of the new islands are man made in the Maldives. It is very rare that you would see one without any reclamation. Maybe the older islands you would. Ozen is not man made and I was there as recent as in February this year. Atmosphere is the Company name. Ozen Life Maadhoo is certainly not man made in that sense. The beaches are natural and they also have overwater bungalows and also an underwater restaurant. The food is very good and have a main restaurant and a couple of selective restaurants. Plus very good ice cream.
yolie likes this.
Old Apr 14, 22, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd View Post
Most of the new islands are man made in the Maldives. It is very rare that you would see one without any reclamation. Maybe the older islands you would. Ozen is not man made and I was there as recent as in February this year. Atmosphere is the Company name. Ozen Life Maadhoo is certainly not man made in that sense. The beaches are natural and they also have overwater bungalows and also an underwater restaurant. The food is very good and have a main restaurant and a couple of selective restaurants. Plus very good ice cream.
thank you so much!

any other resort?
Old Apr 14, 22, 1:03 pm
formerly dav662

thank you so much!

any other resort?
Siyam World. All these are locally owned resort chains.
yolie likes this.
Old Apr 14, 22, 2:03 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Hello

thanks
Kudadoo, unless you're specifically looking for a beach villa.
yolie likes this.
Old Apr 16, 22, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
for the one bedroom water villas, there is essentially no space outside to get any sun, especially if you are sunrise side.
I find this to be untrue, as are several of the other comments made about the RC by other posters above. Perhaps it comes down to time of year, which you haven’t considered? The fact that I am slightly burnt on my legs despite applying copious amounts of factor 30 yesterday definitely suggests so. Without wishing to be rude, I find it amusing those who spent, what, 45 minutes looking around rooms (?) are telling people who stayed at the hotel they are wrong.

I am back here over Easter for a second stay, I have a one-bedroom sunset lagoon villa this time (two-bed sunrise overwater last time). It is definitely correct that only the beach villas will get direct sun all day due to the design of the roof / deck. In addition, the entry level one-bedroom sunrise overwater villas are to be avoided if you want sun, as they will only get it from sunrise until mid/late morning (depends which one) when the sun gets too high. However, at this time of year my sunset villa (probably the second to last to get sun given placement) gets sun on the lower deck with the hammock from late morning all day, from about 1pm on the pool until sunset and from about 2-3pm on the main deck until sunset (which is around 7pm here).

Regarding the privacy issue, if I stand in a very specific place in my outdoor shower or room I can see through the gaps in the privacy shielding to the whole of the pool to the left and about 50% of the deck, I assume that is what is meant above? If so, I find it relatively minor unless you assume next door is really keen to spy on you! The bigger issue with privacy for the sunset villas is the boat traffic which is really quite regular on this side during the day and spoils the feeling of isolation a bit.

Speaking to staff at breakfast this morning, apparently the owner of Capella has decided to delay opening from 2023 to 2026 to completely redesign the resort as having seen the RC hard product they are concerned there was not enough differentiation to charge a large premium, which I can well believe is true.

The suggestion that one-bedroom villas don’t have full length mirrors above is also wrong, they have two but they are so well integrated behind the doors you might totally miss them. See below:

Old Apr 18, 22, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd View Post
thanks for this. Is it true Ozen Life Maadhoo has no house reef?
Old Apr 19, 22, 3:05 am
formerly dav662

thanks for this. Is it true Ozen Life Maadhoo has no house reef?
It is true. There is no house reef.

Search this Thread