Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by offerendum
Always hard to Judge if I donīt stay. Personally I think the public spaces are stunning. Iīm very excited to compare FS Florence (which is one of my favourite hotels) with St. Regis Florence, which is (if Iīm correct) one of your favourites.
I agree with you 100%. FS Florence has stunning public spaces.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

qatar acquired 2016, opened 2011 - st regis - starwood (from CIGA)
qatar acquired 2013, opened 2008 - FS - local developer
famoushotels.org/hotels/grand-hotel-florence

most properties are pretty mixed here, over time. it is interesting when opinions vary based on style including service, especially for properties that are less mixed. variation avoids boring.

room category is one of the biggest differences especially in historical properties.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 19, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:06 pm
BLV

I’ve been reading about FS Firenze on these forums for years as one of “THE best” or “Not to be missed” properties. I didn’t choose to stay there, preferring Lungarno, during a stay few weeks ago, basing my decision on the photos of decor I’ve seen online. We did, however, celebrate NYE with them and then came back the following day for brunch, along with a short lunch a few days prior to that. NYE was nicely organized but service was bad and food subpar. But none of that spoiled the celebration. To summarize, would not stay there, always giving preference to Lungarno, but would definitely come back for brunch.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BLV
I’ve been reading about FS Firenze on these forums for years as one of “THE best” or “Not to be missed” properties.
Same ! I thought it was one of those bucket list hotels.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Any service recovery from Pen HK?
They replaced my bed sheets, hahaha.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Levinas
They replaced my bed sheets, hahaha.
Pretty bad service reflection considering how highly they think of themselves.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Nizar
For many it still is
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
FS George V Paris: didn’t stay but had drinks/lunch, but really wasn’t fond of layout, vibe, and the stiff formality.

The Bristol Paris: didn’t stay, but despised the incredibly dated room/suite decor and furnishings, felt almost like I was staying at French grandma’s house.

FS Florence: didn’t stay but had lunch, not impressed by the public spaces layout or horrible greenish decor and furnishings, felt out of place and not modern/classy at all, spa facility was confusingly and poorly laid out, as well

FS Istanbul Bosphorus: didn’t stay but had lunch/drinks, despised the sterile marble mausoleum ambience, ridiculously overpriced
FSGV is amazing, the F&B offer is one of the best in Paris! But it may happen from time to time that a waiter or a waitress believes working there make him/her a superstar

I fully agree with you about le Bristol and I actually never understood the praise.

FS Florence was a unique experience. Pierre invited me there for my birthday. He had booked a junior suite. At check-in when they saw my ID they decided to upgrade us to the Presidential suite of the Conventino. I was blown away. FS has been consistently generous with upgrades over the years, this one was very unexpected and most appreciated!

FS Istanbul Bosphorus was disappointing. It is indeed overpriced and bland.
bhrubin and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Nizar
Would never think to put it on a bucket list. City of Florence - absolutely but that FS, um, naaaah.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BLV
Would never think to put it on a bucket list. City of Florence - absolutely but that FS, um, naaaah.
Where else would you recommend in Florence ?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
deleted
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
- FS Hualalai on what was to be the day of Cisco arrival. 24 hours before my check-in date, they emailed me saying they would not honor my guaranteed AMEX FHR late checkout that I had confirmed with them upon booking because that was the day that Cisco was arriving. It took a half dozen calls to straighten it out (they initially insisted I forfeit the security deposit for short-notice cancellation when I said I would not be staying because it did not align with my flights).

-Montage Palmetto Bluff - The incident where my toilet needed plunging at 1am because dead roaches were backing up out of the toilet, but housekeeping didn't have a plunger anywhere on property. I had to drive two hours roundtrip to the nearest 24-hour Walmart (!) getting back to the hotel at 3am to plunge the toilet. I complained to the manager, and they offered a perfunctory apology but no service recovery.
I've also stayed there about a dozen times under the same profile, and the check-in desk always asks me whether it's my first time. I suppose this passes for being proactive and being attending to any questions guests might have, but they should know me by now.

Incidentally, these are still my two favorite resorts in the United States, which goes to show the level of service that one can expect in this country.

-Park Hyatt Maldives - Trying to upsell us at every turn. Interrupting a breakfast with my wife to push us to make spa reservations. Not so subtle insisting that we check out the gift shop.

-Amansara - Was sublime when Sally was there, felt a bit more like a sales pitch our last visit. Staff members listening in on private conversations I was having with my party and then approaching us in the dining room (including the GM and assistant GM at different meals) to see if that meant we were interested in purchasing some dime-and-dozen marked up Buddha figurines that you see in all the tourist traps around Siem Reap. I understand Aman is supposed to be like you're staying over with family, but two things I don't like about family visits are (1) eavesdropping; and (2) relatives pushing their own agenda, and it felt like both.
vuittonsofstyle and LinLant like this.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Feb 7, 2019 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by blueheronNC

-Park Hyatt Maldives - Trying to upsell us at every turn. Interrupting a breakfast with my wife to push us to make spa reservations. Not so subtle insisting that we check out the gift shop.

-Amansara - Was sublime when Sally was there, felt a bit more like a sales pitch our last visit. Staff members listening in on private conversations I was having with my party and then approaching us in the dining room (including the GM and assistant GM at different meals) to see if that meant we were interested in purchasing some dime-and-dozen marked up Buddha figurines that you see in all the tourist traps around Siem Reap. I understand Aman is supposed to be like you're staying over with family, but two things I don't like about family visits are (1) eavesdropping; and (2) relatives pushing their own agenda, and it felt like both.
Totally agree on your FS incident and PH Maldives. But I wonder what many are expecting from PH Maldives when the majority of bookings are in fact point bookings and WOH doesn't remotely reimburse the property the same way a cash booking would. This massively affects their revenue and apparently this is the result.

When was your Sara stay? I am very curious if I understood you correctly... the team was listening in on your conversation and then Astrid made an appearance to inquire if you would like them to get you art? Doesn't sound like the Astrid I know and it seems as we are missing something. Really would love to know more. Thanks!
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
- FS Hualalai on what was to be the day of Cisco arrival. 24 hours before my check-in date, they emailed me saying they would not honor my guaranteed AMEX FHR late checkout that I had confirmed with them upon booking because that was the day that Cisco was arriving. It took a half dozen calls to straighten it out (they initially insisted I forfeit the security deposit for short-notice cancellation when I said I would not be staying because it did not align with my flights).
I hope you reported that to Amex FHR on the survey that the hotels always push to you fill out. I believe Amex takes it seriously.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by scented
When was your Sara stay? I am very curious if I understood you correctly... the team was listening in on your conversation and then Astrid made an appearance to inquire if you would like them to get you art? Doesn't sound like the Astrid I know and it seems as we are missing something. Really would love to know more. Thanks!
First it was the "assistant GM" lady (not sure of her proper title, but she seemed very hands on and everywhere while we were there). Only later did Astrid follow up with us about purchasing art (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't realize how the conversation got started). I think it all started when someone in my party mentioned that they wanted to check out Artisans d'Angkor to specifically see what the locals are crafting, and it spiraled from there where suddenly we were being shown pre-fabricated pieces from importer/exporters at multiple meals in the dining room and pressured to swing by overpriced boutiques at the end of our temple tours. One was particularly hilarious where there were no price tags on any of the crafts and the owner tried to sell us a piece for $1400 that we saw for $150 when out on the town on our own.

This was latter half of 2018. Our tour guide said bookings (Siem Reap generally) were way down for the winter season unexpectedly and everyone was feeling pressure. I wonder if this has something to do with it. Back in 2014 under Sally, the experience was peaceful and ethereal from wall to wall. Not once did we feel like we were at the losing end of someone's referral commission under the table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.