Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 11:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I can add the StRs Washington and Dubai to this list after recent disappointing stays.

StR Dubai hard product is sensational...but boy do they need a service overhaul. Horrible service.

StR Washington is in dire need of a refurb...and even more dire need for a management/service overhaul. Wow.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 21, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I can add the StRs Washington and Dubai to this list after recent disappointing stays.

StR Dubai had product is sensational...but boy do they need a service overhaul. Horrible service.

StR Washington is in dire need of a refurb...and even more dire need for a management/service overhaul. Wow.
The St Regis Washington is, indeed, a very mediocre hotel and has been for very many years. Such a dark and dreary place, in both decor and attitude! The StR Washington's only saving grace was Adour, its spectacularly beautiful restaurant. I have such wonderful memories of dining there; the cooking was top notch but it was the exquisite ambiance that made Adour so very special. Unfortunately, Adour has been long gone and in its place is some utterly forgettable and downright shabby eatery that is reflective of the hotel as a whole.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Won't try
Iniala - design. Just doesn't appeal
The Reverie Saigon - see "design"
Burj Al Arab - where do I even begin
Any 'big cruise'

Would definitely not return
Belmond Siem Reap - 'suites' that are anything but, service that is anything but. Bizarrely one of the best pools in Siem Reap though, but even that felt a little 'cramped'
Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay - I hear the newly renovated and new villa types are nice, and the residence villas look okay, but I have no interest in going back for a stay. The property is just too large
Six Senses Laamu - too many properties in the Maldives to bother going back to one that was just about par
Six Senses Yao Noi - it's real selling point I would say is the ability to explore Phang Nga Bay and the region from here. I've already done that though...

Probably won't return
Amandari - a most lovely property (that's somewhat outdated) but there are so many lovely properties in Ubud...
Trisara - gorgeous views and rooms with mixed food and service and a location (beachwise) that isn't ideal

Would consider return
Amanusa - primarily for for its villas which are some of my favourite anywhere, but also for location/convenience. Not much else really appeals to me down south in Bali.

Would absolutely return
Taj Falaknuma Palace - I was only in Hyderabad for 2 nights, and I want to do more. This is the place to stay - one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at
Amankila - one of my most memorable stays in a stunning locale (even with the oil tankers in the distance)
Amanpulo - see Amankila, minus the oil tankers
Hi! If you have a couple minutes, would you mind expounding on what made Falaknuma Palace on of the best hotels you've ever stayed in? Is it the service (I've experienced incredible Indian hospitality at Oberoi properties so I can see what you mean), or is it just a jaw dropping property?

The rooms are 1500/nt so as a solo traveler, I'm trying to find a few reasons to justify that price tag

Any insight would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
One to add to the list, although I don't know if it goes highly recommended - is the Mandarin Oriental in Shanghai.

Very disappointing service (at club lounge), nice hard product in the rooms but that is almost everywhere in China and doesn't qualify as "luxury".

I did appreciate the cakes, wine bottle, evening snacks etc but there was no "wow" factor staying at this property. Stayed previously at the Park Hyatt which had fantastic views over the city.

Also stayed at the MO in Miami which had nice service but a very sad hard product - outdated rooms, pool too small etc. although the views were nice.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I wasn't a big fan of The Breakers in Palm Beach. Rooms were very small and dated, service was mediocre at best, pool/beach areas and restaurants were constantly packed, and this was all during an off-peak stay. Upgrading to Flagler Club level helped - they had solid food and drink options, much more modern rooms (although still tiny at 300 square feet), nice terrace, and fewer crowds overall - but it still didn't help the insane crowds outside. While the grounds are beautiful and the food and beverage were consistently good, I think the resort just has too many rooms (540) and their facilities can't handle the crowds. I certainly don't think their standard, dated rooms overlooking the HVAC units are worth $1,000+ a night in the winter. Much better off at a place like the St. Regis Bal Harbour, where the standard room is more than twice the size and features an ocean view, and the public areas don't feel overwhelming.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:58 am

FS Florence was a disappointment. Service throughout the hotel was bad and the bellmen was especially rude. The garden was quite nice though.
Peninsula HK was one of my worst stays in 5 star properties. One of the shower heads in my suite (which was one of their top suites) was broken and many amenities were missing on the first night. I even found a yoga menu under the bed sheet, god knows how it got there...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Levinas
FS Florence was a disappointment. Service throughout the hotel was bad and the bellmen was especially rude. The garden was quite nice though.
This is uncharacteristic for Florence. Would you mind sharing a few examples of service failures and especially rudeness of the bellmen?
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by scented

This is uncharacteristic for Florence. Would you mind sharing a few examples of service failures and especially rudeness of the bellmen?
Sure. It was nearly ten years ago so their service may have improved, but just to give you a couple of examples:

1. I asked the front desk to book a taxi to the airport on my day of departure and then went out for sightseeing. When I returned, the front desk told me that they actually didn't book any taxi despite my request, because they thought that it would be easy to get a taxi. Then it started raining heavily and there was a traffic jam around the hotel. It eventually took them more than 30 minutes to find a taxi, which could have been avoided had they called for taxi in advance.

2. When I was leaving the hotel, there was another group of guests leaving and the bellman refused to get the taxi to drive up to the front door of the hotel for me. I asked the bellman if he could at least ask the taxi to drive to somewhere closer to the front door (the taxi was parked approximately 20 meters away from the front door at that time), and the bellman told me that it was not possible because it would block the car of the other guests leaving. I then told the bellman that I can wait till the other guests left, but the bellman insisted that I must leave immediately otherwise they will not keep the taxi for me. Due to the heavy rain at that time, I asked the bellman whether they can lend me an umbrella. Again, the bellman told me no because I have already checked out. So I had to carry all the luggage by myself (all the bellmen were occupied helping the other group of guests) and walk to the taxi during the heavy rain without any umbrella. Luckily the taxi driver saw me and rushed out of the taxi to help with my luggage. To this day I still think that that taxi driver had a better sense of service than anyone I encountered at FS Florence.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Levinas
Peninsula HK was one of my worst stays in 5 star properties. One of the shower heads in my suite (which was one of their top suites) was broken and many amenities were missing on the first night. I even found a yoga menu under the bed sheet, god knows how it got there...
Any service recovery from Pen HK?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:39 am

StR Rome back in 2016 while they were going through the remodel. Service and experience was a solid meh.

FS Vancouver service was great, rooms were horrible, gym was super nice.

Park Hyatt Milan was meh but this might be because we just came from 3 absolutely amazing, out of this world, stays at the G-Rough Roma, Villa Cora Firenze, and the Gritti Palace.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

FS George V Paris: didn’t stay but had drinks/lunch, but really wasn’t fond of layout, vibe, and the stiff formality.

The Bristol Paris: didn’t stay, but despised the incredibly dated room/suite decor and furnishings, felt almost like I was staying at French grandma’s house.

FS Florence: didn’t stay but had lunch, not impressed by the public spaces layout or horrible greenish decor and furnishings, felt out of place and not modern/classy at all, spa facility was confusingly and poorly laid out, as well

MO Hyde Park London: didn’t stay but had dinner at Dinner, yet one of worst service experiences I’ve ever had at a presumed 5* hotel

Peninsula Tokyo: didn’t stay, despised the crowded red lobby, rooms and suites were terribly dated and surprisingly unimpressive

MO Tokyo: didn’t stay but had lunch, rooms and suites were very dated and uninspired.

FS Tokyo: didn’t stay but felt like a very dated Park Hyatt in serious need for immediate refurbishment...a decade ago. Lack of true lobby also felt odd/unimpressive

Aman Tokyo: didn’t stay but had tea service, amazing hard product indeed, but mediocre to average soft product and disappointing service in particular.

Aman Summer Palace: terribly disappointing lack of Aman serenity, lack of service, disappointing F&B, but did have amazing service recovery at least, would never stay again, however, set the stage for us for how and why Aman doesn’t perform/justify its rate premium in urban environment

St Regis Dubai: no longer StR, some of worst service I’d ever experienced at a StR

St Regis Washington: incredibly dated hard product in massive need for refurbishment, massive service issues makes this a non-starter for me

FS Buenos Aires: didn’t stay but had a Christmas Eve dinner, loved the mansion, despised the rest of the sterile property, no character at all

FS Istanbul Bosphorus: didn’t stay but had lunch/drinks, despised the sterile marble mausoleum ambience, ridiculously overpriced

Villa San Michele Florence/Feisole: lovely junior suite, great views onto Florence, but ridiculous formality and distance from city center made it a disappointment for us

Azura Benguerra, Mozambique (pre-&Beyond): incredible hard product and location let down by massive failures in all manner of soft product, pitiful service, terrible F&B, wines stored outside and in sun (!!!), overall terrible management

FS Hong Kong: didn’t stay but had dinner and drinks, felt like corporate convention hotel to me, way too crowded and frenetic lobby, too big, not much character at all to us

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS Tokyo..Lack of true lobby also felt odd/unimpressive

that is the point (for others) vs >

Peninsula Tokyo..despised..crowded..lobby
FS Hong Kong..crowded and frenetic lobby
might be interesting to have two sections of hotel, one with whatever one considers a good public lobby, and the other with a large lobby that is only open to guests of that smaller section of hotel

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
FS Florence: didn’t stay but had lunch, not impressed by the public spaces layout or horrible greenish decor and furnishings, felt out of place and not modern/classy at all, spa facility was confusingly and poorly laid out, as well
Always hard to Judge if I don´t stay. Personally I think the public spaces are stunning. I´m very excited to compare FS Florence (which is one of my favourite hotels) with St. Regis Florence, which is (if I´m correct) one of your favourites.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Always hard to Judge if I don´t stay. Personally I think the public spaces are stunning. I´m very excited to compare FS Florence (which is one of my favourite hotels) with St. Regis Florence, which is (if I´m correct) one of your favourites.
I will be most curious to see what you think of the St Regis, as well. Indeed, we absolutely loved it. And we far preferred the decor and style of the St Regis to that of the Four Seasons, most surprisingly. (Ironically, they both have the same owner.) The St Regis actually allowed us to really enjoy Florence for the first time, something the Fiesole location of the beautiful Belmont Villa San Michele never did on our first visit.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phant0m
StR Rome back in 2016 while they were going through the remodel. Service and experience was a solid meh.
Yeah, many had that impression. We were there in Oct 2017 after they had completed the public spaces renovation but were still renovating rooms/suites. Our junior suite was dated but spacious and still very comfortable (though the bath was a bit narrow), and the public spaces were incredible—and vastly more impressive than the Eden or Hassler. While our service experience wasn’t perfect, it was actually very good overall. And food/beverage were outstanding. We were so impressed that we will be returning in 2020 for our 10th wedding anniversary trip to Italy. Can’t wait to see the newly done rooms/suites.

Park Hyatt Milan was meh but this might be because we just came from 3 absolutely amazing, out of this world, stays at the G-Rough Roma, Villa Cora Firenze, and the Gritti Palace.
+1

I forgot to include the Park Hyatt Milan, which I also found surprisingly disappointing despite its central location. Very dated. Uninspired decor. Blah service and food/beverage. We didn’t stay, but it didn’t help that we were staying at the less-centrally located Excelsior Gallia hotel which was spectacularly beautiful and an almost perfect example of modern Art Deco inspiration as I’d ever seen. (And my previous stay also had been the Gritti Palace in Venice.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.