Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:05 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Amanjiwo - as adored as this hotel is in this forum, I might be the first one to say we had a subpar stay. And I haven't confessed it before because others whom I highly respect consider it one of the top Aman properties.

- Their driver showed up an hour late at our prior hotel, Losari Coffee Plantation. We were packed, moved out, and had nothing to do. Our pick up time was in writing and we were never given an explanation why it changed with no notice to us.
- We had a pool pavilion where due to the walls surrounding it had no view whatsoever.
- I had a horrible case of bronchitis and was still expected to hike up the stairs on arrival to go thru their welcome ceremony. Subsequently we found there was an elevator which I could have ridden.
- It had a built in platform for the bed that was perhaps an additional foot on either side. I've seen this design elsewhere (Nam Hai, for instance) and am not fond of it. It makes it tricky to get in and out of bed during the night.
- We came back from dinner and found housekeeping in our room cleaning. No apology was made and they kept cleaning. I had read so much about the cleaning staff being invisible that this shocked me.
- We were promised a recipe for their delicious ginger beverage. It was never delivered.

There was no service recovery.
Sad.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Six Senses Yao Noi - aircon not good enough, poor service, average food (but great views)
La Residencia, Mallorca - packed with loud children, small rooms, terrible lunch by the pool, overpriced.
Hotel Sacher, Vienna (no surprise) dusty, fusty, dreadful.
FS George V, Don't like the décor at all and service not amazing.
Sofitel Metropole Hanoi, tacky new wing, packed with big groups, bad Vietnamese food. In general I was very disappointed by Hanoi, perhaps not helped by rainy weather, appalling air quality and being chased everywhere by hookers and scammers.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Trisara (service and food)
Amanbagh (service and food)
Amandari (outdated)

To be clear, each of the above have some fantastic plus points, but my expectations for each were higher based on the forum feedback.

If we're going beyond highly rated on this forum, then Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay
Thank you.

I am usually quiet on my below average experiences, especially when its against the flow. It doesn't change my feeling but I keep it to myself. However, I have to say I agree with you here on Trisara.
Also, agree on FS Jimbaran Bay. For us, the service experience at FS JB outstripped Trisara.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:11 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Six Senses Yao Noi - aircon not good enough, poor service, average food (but great views)
Oh jeez, that should be the biggest one on my list and a far bigger unwowed/disappointment than the ones I mentioned there (except Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay).

Aircon was fine in our room though, but more or less agree with the rest (average rather than poor service).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by mumum17
Thank you.

I am usually quiet on my below average experiences, especially when its against the flow. It doesn't change my feeling but I keep it to myself. However, I have to say I agree with you here on Trisara.
Also, agree on FS Jimbaran Bay. For us, the service experience at FS JB outstripped Trisara.
Maybe Trisara isn't that highly rated on this forum after all - that's 3 people now and I'm sure more to add on!

To sum it up for me:
- Stunning views, lovely hotel rooms/suites/villas
- Bizarrely not that enamored with the residence villas (much better ones in Phuket. As far as resorts go, see Amanpuri and Andara)
- Very average food
- Very average service
- Grounds are okay, but again quite average (not as stunning as Amanpuri for example)
- Didn't like the main pool by the beach (didn't even go in once and I'm a huge pool person)
- Beach is what it is so not going to harp on too much about that (but again, it's not Amanpuri)

And I meant that Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay was another of those that I had a very average experience at, just that I don't think it's highly rated on this forum at all (it is outside this forum though).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:46 am

The accomodation type plays a big role in the experience.
We were disappointed with Amanpulo because we stayed in a casita. And we clearly saw that interactions between guests staying in a villa and management was very different.
Amanjiwo was a bliss but we were lucky enough to stay in the Dalem Jiwo suite, it cannot compare with other suites.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Maybe Trisara isn't that highly rated on this forum after all - that's 3 people now and I'm sure more to add on!

To sum it up for me:
- Stunning views, lovely hotel rooms/suites/villas
- Bizarrely not that enamored with the residence villas (much better ones in Phuket. As far as resorts go, see Amanpuri and Andara)
- Very average food
- Very average service
- Grounds are okay, but again quite average (not as stunning as Amanpuri for example)
- Didn't like the main pool by the beach (didn't even go in once and I'm a huge pool person)
- Beach is what it is so not going to harp on too much about that (but again, it's not Amanpuri)

And I meant that Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay was another of those that I had a very average experience at, just that I don't think it's highly rated on this forum at all (it is outside this forum though).
My last stay at Trisara was OK, but not wow. It's a shame the food isn't better. Also they seem to have raised the rates.

Last edited by Londonjetsetter; Apr 11, 2017 at 6:01 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
FS Florence is the one that springs immediately to mind.

Very highly regarded but very much a disappointment for me.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mandarin Oriental Boston on two counts (mainly)

1. Was put in an accessible room (despite not wanting or needing one, and asked to be moved with no luck). The bath / shower set up was awkward for me, and there were no full length rails in the wardrobe (half height, one assumes so you can reach from a wheel chair) which meant I had to hang dresses precariously from the trim!

2. No one answered the phone. Not me, when I called down to room service / front desk / concierge and not clients trying to reach me in my room. I found that beyond frustrating, and far below the service I expect from a good city hotel.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Amanpulo, this was 2007.

Service and food was 4 star or less.

Moonlit beach was awesome but thats because of Nature, not the GM
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by kzap
Amanpulo, this was 2007.

Service and food was 4 star or less.

Moonlit beach was awesome but thats because of Nature, not the GM
Going by my 'theory' (multiple posters posting about disappointing stays) - then again maybe Amanpulo isn't that highly rated on this forum either and that's certainly not true ha!

Had the most wonderful stay at Amanpulo.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It gets rave reviews, but I think that's only from people who have been going for decades, who relive the glory days rather than see what it has become. Maybe it was amazing once, but it's tired and poorly-staffed now.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:42 am

Not so much as a resort on the whole - everything else was as expected, but I thought Six Senses Laamu would be a lot more remote/idyllic than it is.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It gets rave reviews, but I think that's only from people who have been going for decades, who relive the glory days rather than see what it has become. Maybe it was amazing once, but it's tired and poorly-staffed now.
I'm one of those people, the hotel has a very loyal following and is a very special place with an amazing beach. The hotel and service are not true luxury, but for some people it's absolutely perfect for a big island trip. I still loved it when it was a Westin in the 80s.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
It's inevitable that even the highest regarded venues will have their critics. Weigh in here on venues others rave about and which dominate Best lists ... but you weren't impressed. As is often the case, the wow factor may correlate with cost and hype.

POST RANCH INN, Big Sur, California
Here's my critique of Post Ranch Inn which often tops best lists for U.S. getwaways and resorts. It was more than a disappointment.

Jim and I were four nights at Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur). We had a free-standing cottage overlooking the valley below the resort. So, not overlooking the ocean; we live in the Bay Area and repair often to Big Sur so ocean view not paramount although it surely is stunning (when it's not foggy which is often in summer).

Furniture in the cottage was very low to the ground, having to crawl/stagger out of it was inconvenient. The bathtub had a ten-inch lip, difficult to straddle. The hot tub had no bench so one sat on the bottom of the tub, ick. The cottage was quite small.

Our luggage delivery was missing a bag. Service at breakfast is surly. The spa is something out of a gothic hippie horror movie. The swimming pool is down in the valley from cliff-top accommodations, a very significant, steep hike down and back. Can't get drinks at the pool, forget food. Food in the restaurant is pretentious, tiny portions, overpriced and SLOW.

Finally, the "art" (mostly sculptures) sprinkled about are tacky or cliched in the main.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.