Search

10 days in China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:26 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

10 days in China

As the title suggests, I'm considering 10-12 days in China and have never been except for a couple of times to HKG and Macau.

I looked at the Aman package and liked how it included guides, but really wasn't sure it's a good option. So far I've liked how Aman has worked with our son, so that's a huge priority and I don't see other chains being quite as bespoke when it comes to family travel.

Any recommendations for an itinerary? Would three nights at each of the Amans be good, or just lame and missing great places?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:30 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by DSI
As the title suggests, I'm considering 10-12 days in China and have never been except for a couple of times to HKG and Macau.

I looked at the Aman package and liked how it included guides, but really wasn't sure it's a good option. So far I've liked how Aman has worked with our son, so that's a huge priority and I don't see other chains being quite as bespoke when it comes to family travel.

Any recommendations for an itinerary? Would three nights at each of the Amans be good, or just lame and missing great places?
I think you'd be better off trying to figure out what you actually want to see in China, but the Amans are a good start as they offer Hangzhou (which I loved - the place), Beijing and Lijiang.

This will also be heavily dictated on when you want to go.

I can't comment much on Aman Summer Palace and Amandayan, but Amanfayun at least suffers in terms of service as it's not always easy to find English speaking staff, particularly at the lower level (whereas somewhere like Bali where international tourism has been so ingrained that everyone learns English to a decent extent). It's also such an interesting property, but I'm not sure how much the kids would love a 9-12 day trip of China, even if it is with the Amans?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 am

Skip Beijing and use Shanghai as your hub - it's a much nicer experience.

The Peninsula Shanghai - best for a leisure trip, as it is on the Bund.

Then take the bullet train to Hangzhou and stay at Amanfayun.

Then Lijiang maybe - Amandayan?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I would say depends on your goals of the trip? I would say the traditional itinerary for say ten days would be Beijing, Xian, and Shanghai....

For Beijing the Aman Summer Palace isn't a great option to see a lot of the major sites (though the access to summer palace is great; as it was one of our favorite places). It can work with a day at the Forbidden city/etc , and then a day trip to see the Great Wall...

Xian is just to see the terracota statues

Shanghai the new Aman is also outside of the city; so not great as well to see the sights... we stayed on the wrong side of the Bund at the PH... the Pen on the Bund did seem quite nice but it's quite a busy area as well...

Our last trip with did Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai...

Amanfayun is again outside of the city, off of West Lake... we stayed at the FS which is nice enough but kind of a Disneyesque interpetation of Chinese architecture... still quite comfortable with large rooms...

I can't really comment on Lijiang....

So it really boils down to what kind of trip you want to take.. the Amans are't well located for the hustle and bustle of seeing sights, but are I would wager a welcome respite for the absolute craziness of Chinese life... though that traffic in China is awful (as well as air quality for the most part)...

One really cool thing is to visit the panda reserves in the Sichuan area; however, that's a much different trip....

China is an overwhelming trip... there are so many people.. (though not as overwhelming as India which you survived...)

FDW
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:51 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

Many thanks so far.

I really don't know much about China but our son wants to see the Great Wall, and it would be sometime during the summer.

The only thing I want to avoid is airplanes as much as possible. I just hate going through airports. Bullet trains and the like are much preferred.

Our son really enjoyed Bhutan, so sometimes the traditionally less kid friendly places (Bhutan) or chains (Aman) become pleasant surprises.

One thing that struck me with the Amans is that they included tours at each of the locations, and I've really enjoyed most of the guides we've had through AMan in the past.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I wouldn't use either Beijing or Shanghai as a "hub" because continuous onward movement is most efficient. However, in terms of experience value, Beijing has FAR more to offer than Shanghai.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:23 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by DSI
Many thanks so far.

I really don't know much about China but our son wants to see the Great Wall, and it would be sometime during the summer.

The only thing I want to avoid is airplanes as much as possible. I just hate going through airports. Bullet trains and the like are much preferred.

Our son really enjoyed Bhutan, so sometimes the traditionally less kid friendly places (Bhutan) or chains (Aman) become pleasant surprises.

One thing that struck me with the Amans is that they included tours at each of the locations, and I've really enjoyed most of the guides we've had through AMan in the past.

Good point re: traditionally less kid-friendly places being pleasant surprises, but do bear in mind that a natural environment with fresh, clean air such as Bhutan is a vastly different proposition to an overcrowded smog-filled city with 21 million people!

The Aman, as typically is, will be a peaceful respite from the madness (as FlyingDoctorWu mentioned) of the city though.

Aman's excursions are fantastic and access to the Summer Palace after hours is a real privilege.

Careful about going in summer - Beijing can get unbearable (heat). Shanghai/Hangzhou and much of China will be the same. Spring/autumn are the best.

For Great Wall (or any site in China really), avoid Chinese holidays and/or weekends.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The Peninsula Shanghai - best for a leisure trip, as it is on the Bund.
There has to better a hotel in Shanghai. We stayed there are couple of years ago.
I'll grant that it has great location with beautiful rooms, but the restaurants and service were simply dreadful.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:00 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'm half-Chinese and this statement hurts my soul!

Do not skip Beijing. I MUCH prefer it over Shanghai. Shanghai is boring like Singapore or Hong Kong.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Start with what you think you want to see and experience with your son (how old is he?). The Great Wall is iconic and a MUST — but avoid the sections closest to Beijing and the weekends, as it will be inundated with tourists.

Next, as you say, great guides make a huge difference. Find a tour company who can provide great guides who know how to keep children engaged... and can take care of the driving and other logistics. I really like Wild China.

Finally, don't plan your itinerary around not having to fly — that's an artificial limitation on what you can experience. If you're willing to pay for it, your tour company can have someone take your bags to the airport and check you in. When you arrive, they hand you the boarding passes - and you go straight through security and to your gate.
mkm4 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I'm half-Chinese and this statement hurts my soul!

Do not skip Beijing. I MUCH prefer it over Shanghai. Shanghai is boring like Singapore or Hong Kong.
So sorry - I did not mean to offend, but every time I have been to Beijing I have felt ill from the pollution. I also think that the hotels in Shanghai are better than those in Beijing.

You think Hong Kong is boring?!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
There has to better a hotel in Shanghai. We stayed there are couple of years ago.
I'll grant that it has great location with beautiful rooms, but the restaurants and service were simply dreadful.
It's also somewhat far from a subway station if you plan to use the subway system.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:14 am

So sorry - I did not mean to offend, but every time I have been to Beijing I have felt ill from the pollution. I also think that the hotels in Shanghai are better than those in Beijing.

Boredom factor is obviously a subjective thing, but IMO HK isn't nearly as boring as SH, while BJ leaves both in the dust in this respect (i.e. I'm hard pressed to think of any less interesting places than BJ).

Last edited by moondog; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:58 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.

It was a little in jest I haven't ever had issues with pollution in Beijing - granted I've only travelled in winter and early spring. Always had beautiful crisp days. I would hesitate to travel there in summer though. Hotels might be better in Shanghai, but I just prefer Beijing as a city - I love it.

My family is from Hong Kong - really hate going there... Tokyo is my favourite city in Asia, followed by Beijing, then Seoul. I don't really feel the need to visit any city in Asia located below Shanghai to be honest.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:25 pm
Was sydakllon

Would your son like to see the pandas? If yes, consider Chengdu. I stayed in the Shangri-La there a while back, but I think Temple House is the spot to stay now. There are some nice sights within and around Chengdu such as Mount Qingcheng. Maybe two nights here.

Also, there is more to Xi'an than the Terracotta Soldiers. Riding bikes around the only intact city walls in China is good fun and the Muslim quarter is nice - street food here is delicious. I stayed Sofitel Renmin Square here, but Sofitel Legend would be my choice if I went back (similar location). I actually really like Xi'an. It's worth two nights in my opinion.

For Beijing, not sure how old your son is or how active you guys are as a family, but I love walking the parts of the Great Wall that aren't restored. I can't remember if it was the Huanghuacheng, Simatai or Jinshanling sections I've walked, but the couple I've done are spectacular. And at times, we couldn't see any other people on the wall. Avoid the Badaling section (way too busy/touristy) and I'd hesitate for the same reasons to go to the Mutianyu section. Summer Palace is half a day and a must see - I spend time just reading a book by the lake - it's my favourite place in Beijing. Temple of Heaven and Forbidden City can be done in half a day together. Spend some time in the hutongs. I also like the Art District. All of this should easily fill up a few nights in Beijing and give you a really good taste for a first time visit. I wouldn't stay at Aman Summer Palace - it's too out of the way for a short trip (I would stay if I was combining with being in Beijing proper and wanted to have an Aman experience / focus on Summer Palace).

I'd do 3-4 nights Beijing, 2 nights Xi'an, 2 nights Chengdu, 3 nights Shanghai. I'd probably skip Hangzhou to be honest. You can get a fast train between Beijing and Xi'an. The rest would be flights though.

I've done China north to south a few times (at different ages, with family and without) and there is a lot to see, but this would probably be a good start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.