Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel (Peru)

Old Mar 28, 17, 8:32 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

We recently returned from a great trip through Peru (Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu), and while most of the hotels we stayed in have gotten plenty of attention here, this one has not...so I thought I'd share some reflections.

In short, we loved our two nights here.

Room

We stayed in a "Suite Inkaterra." It's one of four such standalone suites on the property.

It's huge, with three showers (two outdoor, one indoor), a free standing tub, a heated plunge pool (VERY well heated, nearly to onsen-level), fireplace, large living room area and bedroom.

Rather than a door separating the living room and bedroom, it’s a staircase, so it still feels like two discrete spaces.

The hotel certainly goes for the “eco luxury” theme here. Not a ton of polish, but it fits the rugged landscape.

While not cheap, the rate that we paid would have landed us in a junior suite at the Belmond, so to me, it was a great value.

Property

Set on 12 acres, the property has plenty to keep you busy.

So much, in fact, that on our rainy second day, we opted to skip our planned Huayna Picchu hike (didn’t want to risk the slippery climb in the rain, and were a bit trekked out by this point in the trip) to explore some of the activities on offer.

I highly recommend the bespectacled bear excursion; the hotel operates a reserve dedicated to caring for these beautiful animals (that they save from the circus, irresponsible breeders, etc...).

The “fee” for this excursion is a 37 soles (around $12 usd) donation to the reserve.

Most of the other activities are free, including the birdwatching tour (we enjoyed it, though didn’t see much) and the guided orchid walk (my wife loved this one).

Dining

The hotel has two restaurants. One is more casual (Cafe Inkaterra), and the other a bit (but not much) more formal. This speaks to the ambience rather than the dress code; in either restaurant, most of the clientele are dressed like mannequins at REI, so no need to dress up here.

We dined in both restaurants, and both were good. Certainly not as good as some of the other amazing meals we had in Peru (for the record, highly recommend MAP Cafe in Cusco, Killa Wasi in Urubamba, and Central in Lima), but good for being in such a remote location.

Breakfast was a small but high-quality buffet, with made-to-order hot items (the quinoa pancakes were quite good).

We also ordered room service for lunch one day. I wish I had taken a photo of the club sandwich, but it was unlike any I’ve ever had, and not in a good way. Fans of the show Diners Drive-ins and Dives might enjoy it, but for us, it was...a bit gratuitous. Four pieces of bread, fried ham, bacon, chicken, a thick spread of mayo and fried eggs on each half. Served with fries for good measure. We ordered two, and could only finish half of one between us (and we’re not small eaters).

Both the tea and coffee on offer are grown on the property, and both are delicious.

Spa

Our booking, via Virtuoso, came with two 30-minute massages. The massages were fine, but the spa is a bit of a joke.

It’s a single room with stations divided by curtains. I could hear conversations in other “rooms”, and at one point a woman came in and loudly interrupted a treatment going on in another station to deliver a tip for her earlier appointment.

I wouldn’t expect to relax here.

Service

Service was always warm here, though I wouldn’t call it particularly polished. This suited us just fine -- in fact, we prefer the casual approach -- though those looking for doting or “expert” service probably will be disappointed.

Still, it was obvious that many of the employees were genuinely interested in ensuring that we enjoyed our stay, especially at the restaurant and concierge desks.

Overall (and other notes)

I can’t speak to what the hotel is like at the regular room level, but note that some of the rooms have large windows facing the walking paths that run through the property, so privacy will be lacking there. Our suite, however, had no such issues.

The location is also great, a ten minute walk from the train station. Staff were more than happy to carry our bags for us both ways.

We loved our stay here, and were glad we had two days to enjoy our plunge pool and the various activities around the property. Machu Picchu was an incredible site to visit, and this property was a great base from which to do it.
Old Mar 28, 17, 8:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great option for MP. Inkaterra resorts have always look appealing.

Fdw
Old Mar 28, 17, 9:20 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Glad you had a good time. We stayed in one of those suites, but it had a different layout and yours looks nicer.

Did you arrange for a tour of MP there? We did and the guide was great, and pointed out a ton for us.

For the little ones they arranged a treasure hunt that ends with the bear, and I seem to recall our son enjoying it.

The view by the river I thought was spectacular.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 28, 17, 2:12 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks for reporting! I've really wanted to stay here and do MP. Then I found out about the elevation. I get a little altitude sickness and wonder if our son would be affected as well.
Old Mar 28, 17, 2:20 pm
Original Member

I'm concerned about elevation, too. Would love to make this trip.
Old Mar 28, 17, 2:34 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DSI View Post
Did you arrange for a tour of MP there? We did and the guide was great, and pointed out a ton for us.
Unfortunately not. We took the Hiram Bingham up and vistadome back (both chosen more for timing than anything) and took the included tour. It was good (but not great..a great private guide would have likely been better).

Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Thanks for reporting! I've really wanted to stay here and do MP. Then I found out about the elevation. I get a little altitude sickness and wonder if our son would be affected as well.
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I'm concerned about elevation, too. Would love to make this trip.
We both got Diamox prescriptions and began taking them 24 hours before we left. We had absolutely no symptoms at all (until we got to cusco at the very end, which is at a significantly higher elevation than the other stops, including MP. In Cusco we had a bit of shortness of breath, but nothing like what some others report).
Old Mar 28, 17, 5:56 pm

I purchased altitude tablets over the counter in Lima and was fine. Was very short of breath in Cusco and some sights around Cusco though, but it was manageable. My father didn't take any medication and he was fine - just had to take it easy. I did Machu Picchu Mountain (vs Huayna Picchu) and managed to really race up - I was in the first half dozen or so that got to the top. I am really fit though... I felt the altitude was very easy to manage.
Old Mar 29, 17, 3:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'll look some of those meds up. Thanks. Perhaps when our 5 year old is a little older....
Old Mar 29, 17, 4:46 am
DSI

We travel every year for spring break/easter. We took our son to Peru two years ago when he just turned five and he loved it. None of us took any prescriptions, but our son was perfect and it did not affect him at all while we were a little short of breath in Cusco.

At six we took him to Bhutan/Laos/Cambodia, and this year it's the Amazon rainforest/Galapagos.
Old Mar 29, 17, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
I absolutely loved this property. The grounds were beautiful and I loved the suite I had. Dining was excellent. What I really loved was being at the ruins before and after the day tripping hordes arrived/departed. I also loved wandering around Aquas Caliente. What a cool town. Not posh at all but very cool. My guide had a nephew that owned a restaurant and we had the most wonderful lunch there.

I had never ever gotten altitude sickness except in Cuzco. Once we headed out of Cuzco I was fine as everything is at a lower altitude.
Old Apr 2, 17, 1:16 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
We dined in both restaurants, and both were good. Certainly not as good as some of the other amazing meals we had in Peru (for the record, highly recommend MAP Cafe in Cusco, Killa Wasi in Urubamba, and Central in Lima), but good for being in such a remote location.
I was curious what you thought of MAP Cafe! Definitely one of our best meals ever...along with Central and Astrid y Gaston in Lima. So glad you were able to enjoy those!

I can say that if dining/food is important to anyone, the Belmond Manchu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge is not one to miss--despite the higher cost. Food was included in the higher price, and that food (and service) was incredibly good. Our 2 dinners there were approaching Michelin level, and were almost as notable as those at MAP Cafe, Central, and Astrid y Gaston. Breakfasts and lunch were similarly tremendous but simpler affairs--and all were included.

It sounds like the Inkaterra property is the better deal/better price if you don't mind the 25 min bus ride up to and back from Manchu Picchu--or if you prefer newer accommodations. (We stayed at the Inkaterra La Casona on the same trip and loved it--we were very impressed with the Inkaterra service at that property, though I do recall that the breakfasts were much simpler affairs, much like is shared here for this Inkaterra property.)

For comparison, here is my May 2013 review of the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge from TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...co_Region.html
Old Apr 2, 17, 4:36 pm

Agree with above re food at Belmond Manchu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge - all meals were outstanding. Sadly had to cancel our MAP Cafe reservation as my father and I were not feeling the best the day we were booked (and our last night in Cusco). Also agree re Central in Lima being very, very good. Astrid y Gaston I was a little underwhelmed by - the serving sizes were too large.

I'd be extremely hesitant to stay anywhere but Belmond for Machu Picchu. We had to wait hours for the bus up the hill - definitely wouldn't want to do this each day. (And you'd potentially do it on the way back down, we were lucky that Belmond walked us straight from restaurant to bus, otherwise the lines were insane). Machu Picchu lines in August were the worst I have experienced anywhere, ever.
Old Apr 2, 17, 6:01 pm
DSI

We never had any bus lines in April. For us--with a kid in tow--the Belmond's room size was too small, and the river near the inkaterra was very picturesque. I enjoyed the location actually.

Maybe it was the altitude but I only thought map was good not great. I loved its location, however. Or maybe it was because I was grumpy from not sleeping--drank lots of that tea....