Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

revisiting Baltimore | Sagamore Pendry and FS

Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

I'm in Baltimore, MD for a quick two-night stay (for our annual Ourisman Travel meeting), and the out-of-town members of the team are staying at a brand-new luxury hotel, the Sagamore Pendry. In fact, it's so new that it's not opening until tonight — we've stayed during their "soft opening."

Though it's evident the hotel is still getting up to speed, this is a promising new luxury property in Baltimore. Here are some initial thoughts.

Hotel heritage. Pendry is a new brand, a younger, less expensive partner to Montage Hotels. The first Pendry was in San Diego, and the Baltimore property is its second property. Though not [yet?] in Virtuoso, our Montage rep can VIP your stay and provide amenities on an informal basis.

Update - Amenities and Corporate Discounts. There are some real savings to be enjoyed when booking either the Travel Leaders "Group" or "Select" rates. Looking at the date 15OCT to provide a concrete example, these are the rates currently loaded in Sabre for a lead-in Deluxe Courtyard room:
BAR - $509
Travel Leaders Group (TL7) - $325 (a discounted corporate rate)
Travel Leaders Select (TZE) - $445 (includes $60 breakfast credit, upgrade, early c/in, late c/out if avail)
Location. Though it's just 0.7 miles from the Four Seasons, and both are on the Inner Harbor, the hotels have quite different locations. FS is in a more commercial neighborhood, an ideal location for business travelers (or if you want to visit the National Aquarium - just a half mile walk). The Sagamore is in the heart of the historic Fells Point neighborhood. Cobblestone streets and lots of [non-chain] restaurants and bars line the streets. There's even a place called Insomniac Cookies, their triple chocolate chunk cookie being soft, chocolate, and gooey — I ate one in the name of research! Fells Points has a lot of character and seems like a fun place to spend some time.

Room product. Pictured below is my Deluxe Harbor Suite, well over 800 square feet. The living room has a sofa/conversation area facing a wall-mounted flatscreen TV, a work desk with power and USB outlets at the top of the desk, a minibar and complimentary espresso machine, and a powder room. My bedroom had a King bed (facing a second flatscreen TV) and a dressing area with two closets. The bathroom was quite large with dual vanities, a large soaking tub (facing a third flatscreen TV), a large step-in shower, and a large WC. Styling is attractive with wood floors, carpeting with grey, maroon, and rust tones (its design based on the rust patterns of an old ship — we're in Baltimore Harbor), and beautiful marble in the bathrooms. Room styling hints at a nautical theme with dark wood paneling and brass sconces.

Public areas take full advantage of the historic building and its architectural features. This is a very attractive hotel in an attractive location.

We were also shown a Deluxe Harbor King. This room was small (370 sq ft), the size of a Superior room, but the proportions of the bedroom (square rather than rectangular) do make a difference. The bathroom was much smaller than my suite's — a single vanity, WC, and step-in shower (but no tub).

Soft opening. This was my first time experiencing a soft-opening, literally a time when the hotel is discovering issues, working out the kinks, and getting its systems up to speed. There are a few kinks to work out, but the hotel's GM is committed to finding out what they are and getting things right. For instance, I pointed out that the bathroom needed drinking glasses; that evening, they were there. Small stuff, mostly, but they are sweating the details.

If you're visiting Baltimore this summer, the Sagamore Pendry should be fully to to speed.

FOUR SEASONS BALTIMORE

While in Baltimore, our team had a site inspection of the Four Seasons. I've previously stayed in this property. Regular guest rooms are what you'd expect at a Four Seasons city hotel, large (over 500 square feet) with fully-featured bathrooms. Styling is classical contemporary, and harbor view rooms have good views of the Inner Harbor.

The WOW rooms at FS Baltimore are its "01 series" Executive Suites. Located on a corner of the building, these suites offer lots of space, lots of windows, and killer views of the harbor and the Dominos Sugar sign. I stayed in one several years ago, and the site inspection brought back memories of a very enjoyable stay.

We enjoyed an excellent team dinner at Michael Mina's Wit & Wisdom, the FS's all-day restaurant.

Last edited by DavidO; Mar 26, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for visiting my homeland... Kevin Planck has really put a lot of money into Baltimore and into this hotel and I appreciate your visit and report...for those of y'all TV buffs this building served as the headquarters on Homicide Life on the Streets.. Im hoping that the plaque still exists on the building...

Does Montage plan on applying for Virtuso membership for their Pendry Hotels? I always envisioned that they are the younger hip version of Montage (ala W hotels, Andaz) in the near luxury setting.. but seeing your picture and description may prove otherwise... How does the pool deck and area look? FS has a stunning pool area that makes it one of the best summer places to visit... I for some reason see the Pendry's pool deck becoming more of a scene for some reason.... I see the Fells Point neighborhood as kind of a negative... maybe it's just because I'm old; or maybe it's because when I was in college I spent a lot of time there drinking way too much.. and seeing people throw up in the streets...

I stayed in one of the 01 series exec suites at the FS and agree with you that it's definitely a WOW suite. Much better than the Lighthouse suite we had last...

Any chance you're going to make to the Ivy? one of the better restaurants in town there and my last meal there was solid... we got to take a to a tour of the hotel public areas and one of the suites and it's simply stunning.. reminds me a lot of my favorite Charleston hotel, Wentworth Mansion. It's a RElais and Chateaux property and next up on my list of places to staycate......

FDW
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Glad you had a nice stay in Baltimore, David. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm happy that they chose a decor style that's very much of the place. It looks like this will provide a very stark contrast to the Four Seasons; not that the FS is bad, but there hasn't really been anything in Baltimore available for those looking for a more boutique/casual luxury option.

(There is, of course, The Ivy, which appears to be a solid boutique luxury offering, but IMO the location surrounding the hotel hasn't yet caught up to the hotel's/city's ambitions.)

To add a bit more context on the big difference in the locations, the FS is tucked into a corner of Harbor East that's surrounded by water on two sides, and a pocket of the neighborhood that's relatively quiet at night on the others. It's still very, very easy walking distance to very good restaurants (Cinghiale & Charleston) and you can certainly get a nice walk in along the water.

The Sagamore Pendry, on the other hand, is smack in the middle of one of the livelier streets in a very lively neighborhood, especially if you're into bars and nightlife.

Did you notice any street noise later at night from your room?

While I won't be staying there, they picked a great location to cater to a demographic that still wants to party.

Originally Posted by DavidO
There's even a place called Insomniac Cookies, their triple chocolate chunk cookie being soft, chocolate, and gooey — I ate one in the name of research! Fells Points has a lot of character and seems like a fun place to spend some time.
Some other places to try around there (that aren't national chains ) are Pitango Gelato, Ekiben and Peter's Inn. I'm sure FlyingDoctorWu and DSI know of others I've missed.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:58 am
BLV

I am in town as well and walked by the Pendry last night and that soft opening looked like they were in business full swing. At least from outside. An absolute huge +100 on Pitango. I'm there twice a day when visiting and don't know of a better gelato place on the east coast. Insomnia Cookies if not mistaken, is a chain.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:48 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Interestingly enough the Pendry is shooting for higher room rates than the FS. At least it seems at BAR. Entry level room for random date in June (8th) has Pendry at $469 and FS at $419. The pendry does seem to have advance and other rates available. It'll be interesting to see if Baltimore can support 3 luxury type hotels now when 6-7 years ago there were zero (or whenever the FS opened)

fdw
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:27 am

Some details about the pool:

no pool memberships while they figure out insists by pool guests. No full service spa (but spa services available). Guess the FS keeps the mantle as best spa in town.

Fdw
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:04 am

Thanks for the info. baltimore has changed a lot since I was in college, for the better.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:41 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Really good posts. Amidst a city that really struggles this is a hopeful beacon of light. I'm very appreciative of mr. planks investments and vision.

I think the location is a nice counterpart to the inner harbor but worry if people who can afford the hotel will want to stay.

I just wish they chose a more local restaurant theme. The voltaggio brothers would have been interesting but at least it's not another jean-George's
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:53 am

I used to live down the street at the end of Thames Street. Somewhere in my stuff, I have a picture of Jerry Orbach standing at the Rec Pier. He was in town filming a crossover L&O/Homicide episode.

Great news for Baltimore to have these new sites.

Kevin Plank (founder of UnderArmour) is leading a redevelopment in Baltimore. Here is their piece of propaganda.

http://buildportcovington.com/

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for visiting my homeland... Kevin Planck has really put a lot of money into Baltimore and into this hotel and I appreciate your visit and report...for those of y'all TV buffs this building served as the headquarters on Homicide Life on the Streets.. Im hoping that the plaque still exists on the building...

Does Montage plan on applying for Virtuso membership for their Pendry Hotels? I always envisioned that they are the younger hip version of Montage (ala W hotels, Andaz) in the near luxury setting.. but seeing your picture and description may prove otherwise... How does the pool deck and area look? FS has a stunning pool area that makes it one of the best summer places to visit... I for some reason see the Pendry's pool deck becoming more of a scene for some reason.... I see the Fells Point neighborhood as kind of a negative... maybe it's just because I'm old; or maybe it's because when I was in college I spent a lot of time there drinking way too much.. and seeing people throw up in the streets...

I stayed in one of the 01 series exec suites at the FS and agree with you that it's definitely a WOW suite. Much better than the Lighthouse suite we had last...

Any chance you're going to make to the Ivy? one of the better restaurants in town there and my last meal there was solid... we got to take a to a tour of the hotel public areas and one of the suites and it's simply stunning.. reminds me a lot of my favorite Charleston hotel, Wentworth Mansion. It's a RElais and Chateaux property and next up on my list of places to staycate......

FDW
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
some responses to various questions

Does Montage plan on applying for Virtuso membership for their Pendry Hotels?

The GM says yes. However, as I've added to the report, there are Travel Leaders Select amenities already (at a discounted rate), but the Travel Leaders corporate rate has an even better discount.

How does the pool deck and area look?

A cool looking infinity pool

Any chance you're going to make to the Ivy?

No, Jessica lives and works in Baltimore and has seen the Ivy.

I did not. The guest rooms do not face the front of the hotel; the face the inlets. Soundproofing was pretty good, but don't know how much night life there would be in March vs. summer. But the room was perfectly quiet.

Insomnia Cookies if not mistaken, is a chain.

Didn't know that, but I won't hold it against them. The cookie was decadent. However, my favorite Baltimore cookie is Berger's Cookies.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:37 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle

Its a chain, and the go to late night snack for us Hopkins kids. We have one on campus, and they even deliver at 3am to your dorm or apartment lol.

Did you eat at the hotel? Worth checking out for a local student?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I've never had them, but it's been several years since I've been on campus. I don't think I've ever even seen the new Kreiger building--I just remember the mailers.

So for anyone reading this thread, bsltimore is a great town and now there are three nice hotels.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Did you eat at the hotel? Worth checking out for a local student?
I had breakfast at the hotel ... quite good, really too much food to eat, and reasonably priced. Breakfast is included with Travel Leaders Select.

Did not have dinner, as the restaurant wasn't quite open to the public yet.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:41 pm

The GM says yes. However, as I've added to the report, there are Travel Leaders Select amenities already (at a discounted rate), but the Travel Leaders corporate rate has an even better discount.

I did not. The guest rooms do not face the front of the hotel; the face the inlets. Soundproofing was pretty good, but don't know how much night life there would be in March vs. summer. But the room was perfectly quiet.

Didn't know that, but I won't hold it against them. The cookie was decadent. However, my favorite Baltimore cookie is Berger's Cookies.
Thanks DavidO. Pool looks great though wish they had oriented more on the wide to the water view... still I bet it's a great spot. those Travel Leaders Select rates look great...

Does Jessica have any thoughts on the Ivy? wondering if its worth trying....

Good to hear about the soundproofing- Fells Point can get rowdy.....

FDW
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:32 am

David O proves to be a very wise man. Clearly Berger Cookies are the best

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.