Wiki Posts
Search

Helena Bay, New Zealand and Cape Kidnappers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Helena Bay, New Zealand and Cape Kidnappers

Has anyone here stayed or heard in detail about Helena Bay on North Island in New Zealand? We will be in New Zealand this year after the holidays and are thinking of trying it instead of going to Kauri Cliffs as we are not golfers. We are interested primarily in relaxing after a fairly busy trip and perhaps doing a sail in the bay of islands area but not sure how accessible that will be to this new lodge.

We will also stay at Cape Kidnappers during this trip. Which are the best rooms here?

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
Has anyone here stayed or heard in detail about Helena Bay on North Island in New Zealand? We will be in New Zealand this year after the holidays and are thinking of trying it instead of going to Kauri Cliffs as we are not golfers. We are interested primarily in relaxing after a fairly busy trip and perhaps doing a sail in the bay of islands area but not sure how accessible that will be to this new lodge.

We will also stay at Cape Kidnappers during this trip. Which are the best rooms here?

Thanks everyone!
The nice thing about Helena Bay is that it has beaches, unlike the other NZ lodges. Big emphasis on food (southern Italian) and wine. Makes a change from the golfing options, I think.

Cape Kidnappers - I prefer the Lodge Suites - lighter and closer to everything.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I know quite a bit about Helena Bay - what in particular do you want to know? Helena Bay is on the water, so you will have some options. It is a fantastic property - no expenses were spared. It was built as the private estate for a Russian and was turned into a lodge because he didn't want his staff to become rusty when he wasn't there. It is a pretty remarkable lodge.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Helena Bay, but if you want another option where golf isn't the focus, Eagle's Nest is a great alternative.

Cape Kidnappers - I prefer the Ridge Suites. The suites in the main building are great, but I loved the view from my Ridge Suite when I was there.

If you have any questions, New Zealand is my primary interest. I know the sales teams very well, so feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Thank you for the good feedback. I would love to hear more comments if people have them. Our likely plan will be 2 nights at Huka lodge, 3 nights at Cape Kidnappers, and 3-4 nights at Helena Bay. We will also be spending prior time in Sydney with friends and Safire Frecynet. Any additional advice on rooms or activities are welcome!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thank you for the good feedback. I would love to hear more comments if people have them. Our likely plan will be 2 nights at Huka lodge, 3 nights at Cape Kidnappers, and 3-4 nights at Helena Bay. We will also be spending prior time in Sydney with friends and Safire Frecynet. Any additional advice on rooms or activities are welcome!
Kia Ora !
We are also planning on returning ..
But managing / only working more seriously on trips till October

Also Saffire , as we did not make our return last year .

Can pm me if you like some suggestions

So glad you ' ll be enjoying some of the loveliest places Down Under

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 2, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

best/worst time/weather for helena bay area ?
(and for low, is the beginning or end better ?)
published seasons : may-sep / oct / nov-apr

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:14 pm

I am staying at Saffire next week. I can tell you more after my time there. I know the oyster experience is pretty fun. I plan on just having bubbles though as I am allergic to shellfish.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:02 am

We will be at Saffire in September....

I have about a week to spend in NZ... Been there once and did Aukland, Rotarua and Questown. Was thinking the new Helena Bay on the North Island and Blanket Bay on the South, but they don't seem to generate much conversation.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thrilled that both of you will be at Saffire .
The rooms on the right wing are preferred

Hike The Hazards , if you can , which we missed due to fire hazards in the park & surroundings

Is Justin K still the GM ?
Had wonderful meals . Menus vary depending on what's available locally .

Was hoping to return last year , will more likely try next year ( but possibly can squeeze it in this year before it gets warm for us ) .
Along with NZ ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 2, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

Weather wise, any point going to Helena Bay first week of May?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
i had same question for that area, early may vs late sep/oct
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I guess I'll post back, my inclination is to go since I'll have free time in the region anyways. Just really long overdue for a proper beach resort
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
The rooms on the right wing are preferred.
+1. Definitely request on this side. These rooms have a slightly higher elevation and feel just that little bit further from the main building. The suites are at the far end on this side (although I don't think it matters which room category you choose here).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
The rooms on the right wing are preferred

Hike The Hazards , if you can , which we missed due to fire hazards in the park & surroundings

Is Justin K still the GM ?
Had wonderful meals . Menus vary depending on what's available locally .

Was hoping to return last year , will more likely try next year ( but possibly can squeeze it in this year before it gets warm for us ) .
Along with NZ ..
Justin is still the GM and doing a fine job.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
The area North of Helena Bay (e.g. Kerikeri, Paihia, Kerikeri Peninsula etc.) has a subtropical climate and the weather is pleasant pretty much year-round.

You'll get a fair amount of rain there June - August, but that doesn't mean rain 24/7: you may get a full day of rain followed by two nice days with perfect blue skies, sunshine etc., or maybe a nice sunny afternoon after a rainy morning. The weather changes frequently since you're on the sea.

I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on May vs. Sept. / Oct. for that region, but for any other region in NZ I'd definitely recommend May vs. Sept. While it's winter and temperatures can be rather cold, you're much more likely to get some nice blue skies and sunshine, while spring gets much more rain, hail, storms and other unpleasant weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.